“Avoid the Comfort Inn like the plague”

Comfort Inn & Suites University
Ranked #90 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Comfort Inn is, not to put too fine a point on it, a dump. And an expensive dump too - $200 for one night in not even a one star hotel. The lampshades are stained and have holes in them. The shower is a complete joke - it is very difficult to shower because so few streams of water come out of the shower head. There were strands of someone else's hair on the bathroom counter - it had not been adequately cleaned. There is nothing on the walls - absolutely nothing (as in picture etc). The only snacks they had in their machine were ketchup and BBQ chips. There aren't enough plugs in the room either. We stayed there because there was a big conference on and it was the only place with available rooms - I now understand why.

On the positive side, the air conditioning worked well and there is plenty of parking.

Room Tip: A good room is a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kate181793

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Comfort Inn for one night because it was close to the University and we were in town for our daughter's convocation. It was not my first choice but the other was booked full.
Check in was painfully slow, there was only one clerk and the person ahead seemed to take Avery long time at the desk. The smell I'd chlorine assaulted us as soon as we walked in the lobby. We have stayed at this hotel many years ago but it has deteriorated since. The room we were given faced a construction site. There was a black stain on the bedspread. The linens were of average quality and there was black marks on them as well. The clock radio had no display. Thankfully most people use smart phones. We relied on ours for an alarm. There was a microwave and bar fridge which we didn't use. It's not likely we'd return here.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Edmonton_mamma
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Won't ever stay. Ball tourney cancelled 11am Friday. They are still charging us full price of room. I understand policies, but really?? How can I know 24 hours prior that a tournament is going to be cancelled. So I'm going to drive 3 hours to spend the night just so I can get my money's worth??

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jjn70
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel in September 2012 and must have had a renovated room at that time because the rooms I received in March 2013 were disappointing. I requested a change to a renovated room and they put me in a different, identical room.

Shower made a loud screeching and banging noise, TV remote was missing and once I got a new one it was finnicky and only worked on one of the two TVs. Very slow Internet connection. Faucet sprayed water out the base. Very plain in appearance, but at least the hotel was clean. Breakfast was a joke, they were missing juice and yogurt both mornings (both things that I remembered enjoying from my stay in September. Elevator needs servicing... Makes very suspicious noises.

The second night I stayed some university dodgeball tournament was going on and dozens of loud students roamed the halls, talking, laughing loudly. But I think most disappointingly, there was old furniture stacked up in either end of the hallway... What an eyesore, and probably a risk in a fire as it obstructed the path to the stairs.

Avoid this hotel if possible and spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank edmstudentraveller
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I try and take into consideration that this hotel is under renovation. I can excuse the mess from that. The room was okay, but definitely needed repairs. My room had a missing light fixture and a barely functional HVAC system, and cigarette burns on the comforter-- all hopefully will be resolved in the renovations.
The one thing that tipped my stay negatively was the rudeness at the front desk. To me, this is not acceptable. Not sure if this was an off week for two of the three individuals I interacted with, but you would think that treating guests with respect and politeness would be a priority. I even tried to talk to the manager, but he was never "available", despite attempting to speak with him directly several times.
Regardless, I think I'll take my money elsewhere when I am back in Calgary.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank poboi
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Were just looking for a place to stay overnight - This one is pretty good for the price -- Has pool and waterslide but did not use it - Decent breakfast - the hotel was right close where we needed to be so that is why we chose this one. $119 for the night

Room Tip: Not really any "rooms with a view" so does not matter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tonykaren02
Reviewed April 3, 2013

If you are looking for a well furnished, quiet, warm and friendly place to stay in Calgary, this is it. It is a step away from local transit, malls and restaurants.

I keep going back there because it is a perfect place for a business trip or personal stay with facilities that are more than adequate for both intentions.

The staff and management are accommodating and I have seen them going out of their way to satisfy walk-in clients as good as veterans such as I.

The hot continental breakfast is not only adequate but one gets personalized attention at all times.

I strongly recommend this as a choice for a anyone.

Room Tip: The hotel has 2 roomed suites with a pantry. Choose the side facing downtown - the sunrises are gorg...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business