“Needs upgrade & cleaning”

Comfort Inn & Suites University
Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Stettler, Canada
“Needs upgrade & cleaning”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Should have turned around after seeing the lobby. All the areas we saw were dirty. The bed was firm but the legs were all loose so the bed rocked every time you moved. The front desk staff was friendly but slow. Shower barely trickled water and faucet hande was ready to fall off. Won't be going back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Albertakid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We only stayed there as we were meeting family who came into the Province for surgery at the Foothills and they had reserved there as they wanted a bit of a kitchen and access to public transportation. If I was there with just my husband, I would have walked out when I saw the front lobby. The room was very, very dated and dark. Cigarette burns on the carpet and we have not been able to smoke in hotel rooms for a number of years here in Alberta. So obviously they have never been replaced. The bed was comfortable and the pillows decent but I was more worried about the dirt. The pool also looked filthy. My sister in law went out and bought a bathing suit but when she saw the water, she decided not to try it. Both of us have the bad habit of smoking. I do not mind going outside to smoke, but I think they can at least have an ash tray so people don't have to throw their butts all over the parking lot. I didn't try the breakfast but my husband said they had cereal and toast which filled him. My sister-in-law and her husband have been there for a few days and just run out to Smitty's where it looked clean. He gets discharged from the hospital tomorrow and was supposed to stay one more night in the hotel before coming up here to recuperate before their flight home. He said no, just drive me up to Edmonton where I know the house is clean and my incision will not get infected.There are other hotels around there that are far more appealing . I don't know how they have the gall to charge that price when it is basically a dump.

Room Tip: The picture on their website mus thave been taken 30 years ago!! Go to the Hampton Court or another...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pottylorraine
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Friendly front desk with fast check in/out. Reservation room preferences were accommodated. Bathroom, linens, towels and room were all very clean. Unexpected bonus was the nice firm bed which enabled me to have a restful sleep. Location is convenient to LRT. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If a non-smoker, ask for a room on the non-smoking FLOOR
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank ontheroad_nomad07
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Check-in without a reservation to find the only room available was a filthy run-down room. The bathroom sink and toilet had hairs and the carpet soiled. Walking through the hallways on the 3rd floor we discovered the smell of cigarette smoke and students renting some of the rooms. While reviewing the billing particulars, I noticed an automatic $2 'convenience' daily charge applied without notice to the customer - surprise! This is not a standard that we have seen with other Comfort Inn Suites and chose to cancel our room and left. SCARY AND DIRTY.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NJOYNLF-11
Edmonton
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Seems like the owners are just sucking the money out and not doing any upgrades or repairs. Carpets are stained, furniture is chipped and broken, decor in rooms is outdated, linen stained or ripped. Stay away many better options in the motel village for cheaper price too.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank oilerss
sugar land,tx
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I was traveling on a last minute business trip. I booked at this hotel because it was right across from the public rail system. The taxi driver ask me "are you sure?" when I told him my destigation. As soon as I saw the hotel I was disappointed, yet they had my first night deposit so I went in. The area of town is very run down, and this hotel is DIRTY. Old I understand, I have stayed at many older hotels but they have been clean. My window had a lovely view of the dumpsters in the parking lot next door where the entertainment was to watch the homeless pick through for goodies. How lovely ??? I walked down the road and around the corner to eat and stopped on the way back for some cleanser to clean the bathroom; that's how nasty this place was. Seriously, this was not the cheapest place in town either, so I expected it to be as nice as most of the Choice Hotel chain hotels are. The breakfast consisted of small apples and some type of danish rolls. BIG MISTAKE to stay; it was Stampede week and while in the lobby using the computer ( no business center here, a computer in the lobby on a table was the only internet in the hotel) I heard the desk clerk state " usually our rooms are $99.00 but this week they are $169.00" RIP OFF. GO ELSEWHERE, there are many nicer hotels available for less money in another section of town.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank mrsmeber99
Lethbridge
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights on business. The hotel is extremely dirty. I was afraid to hang my cloths in the closet, because the room was very smelly. Carpet gross. The bedding dirty, too. Breakfast not edible.
Spider web and dust on the ceiling ventilation cover, right above the table I was having the breakfast at.
The staff (a lady in the morning) was nice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business