Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton
“hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

excellent hotel I would recommend it to anyone. Service was good room was absolutely excellent. Good family friendly hotel. I was very surprised at the excellence of it. Food was excellent as well. Pool and slide were very good for my gr4andchildren and nephew and I loved the hot tub.

1 Thank Rosemary F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Very clean, nice pool, and affordable to get a suite with a separate bedroom. We stayed here with our two young children, so it was important for us to have a separate room so we could put them to bed and stay up past 8PM. The lobby was always stocked with fresh coffee, fruit, and cookies, which was also very nice.

1 Thank Erika L
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stopped in Calgary on our way home from a nine-day family vacation that involved two six-hour drives (UGH!) Our family of six is difficult to fit into any normal hotel room, but there was room for everyone at the Country Inn & Suites, Calgary Airport location! We were able to get a one bedroom suite with two queen beds and a double pull-out sofa bed for an extremely good price. We also took advantage of the hotel's Calgary Zoo package which included admission for two adults and two children ($76 value). Add in the continental breakfast and the hotel room was practically free.
If that alone is not enough a recommendation: the room was spacious even with two beds; the beds comfortable, bathrooms clean; the hotel is family friendly (lots of families staying there); the staff was friendly and helpful.

Parksville
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Nice hotel - good location to the airport etc. Quiet, safe and well kept. I have been staying here for over 5 years. The staff are very friendly and will accommodate you when possible. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I ended up staying in this hotel twice this summer - I got a deal on hotwire for $100/night. This hotel is in a little bit of an industrial location but I wasn't picky about location. There is a Tim Hortons across the street and Chili's offers new service.

The room are nice and clean up a good amount of renos. Fairly quiet as well. The pool is an average size but the kids love it all the same. The hot tub is nice and big but we had a problem with the amount of chlorine in the hot tub... burned the eyes enough to leave the pool.

You get a full breakfast in the morning so for a family of 4, $100/night is a great deal.The food was as to be expected... hotel buffet. It fills you up and lots of options for picky eaters.

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I stayed at this hotel because it was the cheapest 2-3 stars hotel in Calgary with free wifi, fee parking, free breakfast with close proximity to the downtown and the airport at the time. I locked in a non-refundable deal of $101 (including tax) for a one night stay from Priceline (without bidding).

I certainly was not disappointed. They offer free shuttle to/from the airport during your stay. We utilized the shuttle service to pick us up and the shuttle bus came very quickly. We followed their intruction (on their website) and called them up from the free courtesy phone at the airport to have the shuttle pick us up and the shuttle was there within minutes!

Upon checking in, there were some cookies, candy, fruits, coffee and tea in the lobby. The hotel is not fru fru, glamorous or fancy but it was very clean and has a good size room and very comfortable bed. We were staying in a room with a king size bed.

The next morning, breakfast was pretty descent. There were eggs, bacon, self-made waffle, pastries, bread, bagels, muffins, yogurts, cereals, juices, fruits etc. Good amount of selection. The eggs though, tasted like something from a package/frozen stuff... and the bacons were soaked in grease, cold and could have been a lot crispier..but well for the price we paid for the room, the breakfast was descent.

We didn't use the pool so I can't comment on the facility.. but overall, we had a pleasant stay and checking in/out was super easy and fast..no complaint!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have previously given this hotel great reviews. We have stayed here several times but after this latest visit, we will not be returning. For this visit they made us feel like we were garbage due to the fact we booked our room this time through expedia and not directly through them. We were basically punished due to booking through expedia.

We arrived at the hotel about 2:10 pm. Yes we realize check in is not until 3:00 pm but we have always arrived a little early and have never had a problem or been treated badly......until now. The man that was at the counter right away made it seem like we were disturbing him and made a point of saying rudely that check in is not until 3:00 pm. Then he asked for my credit card. The room was fully paid in advance through expedia but I figured they just wanted it in the records in case of any phone call charges etc. They he handed me the machine and there was a $150 charge I had to approve. I asked what that was all about and he told me that I'm being charged a deposit. I told him I have stayed there several times and have never had to pay a deposit before. He said its because I booked through expedia. I have booked many hotels through expedia and have never been charged a deposit on arrival before. So they take the deposit from my credit card right away but then I have to wait up to a week after my departure to receive my deposit back. That is not right.

We go to our room, walk in and all we can smell is cigarette smoke. I call the front desk and the same man at the front counter tells us that the cleaning crew uses an air freshener that smells musty. This did not smell like an air freshener odor, it smelled just like cigarette smoke. He seemed really put out over this but told us to come back to the front counter and he would see if there was another room available.

We got to the front counter and there was another room. At this point I remembered that he did not ask me for my Club Carlson card on check in so I took it out and mentioned it to him. He told me he can't use my CC card as once again I booked the room through expedia so I am not entitled to my points. Unbelievable! I've never had my card programs refused at other hotels I booked through expedia.

We went to our room and were in there for about 20 minutes when there was a knock at the door. My husband went to answer it but before he could even get to the door, the staff member walked in on us. She apologized and walked back out but she shouldn't have even walked in like that.

The next morning I got ready to hop in the shower and was greeted with hair everywhere in the shower/bath tub. There was actually pubic hair all over the soap ledge. It was disgusting. I had to wash down the shower before I could shower. I could have called housekeeping to come and clean it up, but I just wanted to leave this place. Enough was enough.

We will not stay here again after being treated so rudely and for being punished for booking through expedia even though we have stayed at this hotel several times over the years. Much more respectable places to stay. Its a shame this place has gone down hill quickly and has staff working for them that are rude and make you feel like you are just interfering with their day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OADiver
Leanne S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that this recent stay did not live up to the experience that you have had in the past. We will certainly look into the concerns you shared about housekeeping and the service you received and use your comments to help identify where we can improve.

I am sorry that you were not aware that your Club Carlson points can not be awarded when you book on a site like Expedia and that you would need to provide a credit card for a security deposit and will see what can be done to ensure that these policies are more apparent.

Again thank you for your time and feedback and I am sorry we let you down. If you would like to discuss this further I can be reached at 403.250.1800.

Kind Regards,