“Fabulous Place to Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
“Fabulous Place to Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I couldn't decide where we should stay for 1 night before our flight out from the Calgary Airport and at the last minute decided to trade in points to stay at the Country Inn & Suites near the airport. I've stayed at a few of the Country Inn & Suites before but all in different cities. This stay was over the top as far as what I expected. The staff at the desk was very courteous & helpful. The room was very clean & well appointed. The location was great -- close to the airport & close to dining. There was plenty of room for my family of 4 and we enjoyed our stay. Due to the early hour of our flight, we weren't able to enjoy the breakfast but the hotel provided a "breakfast to go" -- nothing fancy but muffins, granola bars, juice & coffee. Perfect when you're headed out the door at 5am.

We're already planning our next stay at this hotel and from this road-weary traveler that says a lot! I'd recommend to hotel to my friends & family.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rstwohee
Leanne S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us in August.

We are very pleased to hear that we were just what you were looking for as an overnight before your flight out of Calgary.

Your personal recommendation to family and friends of our hotel is one of the highest complements we can receive!

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Calgary!

Leanne Shaw-Brotherston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Terrible experience....overnight stop close to the airport. Room far from clean.
left over dirty towels from the previous guests left in the bathroom along with part bottles of the complementary shampoo and conditioner. We asked for fresh towels and the employee at the desk was extremely rude...said he was the only person working and couldn't help us. Room was located above a neighbouring restaurant's grease disposal bin and the room stunk like grease. Overall feel to the room of needing a good scrub. There are far better choices than this Hotel if you need a quick overnight close to the airport.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jandlmom
Leanne S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us in July.

I am both surprised and disappointed to learn of your experience, as it certainly does not sound like the level of service and accommodations that we strive to provide our guests. If you have a moment and would be willing to share with me a little more information regarding your stay it would help me in assuring that a similar situation does not happen again.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly either by phone or email so that I can get a little more information from you.

Again thank you for your time and feedback as it does help us to continue to improve.

leanne.shaw-brotherston@countryinns.com
403-250-1800
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have stayed in many "budget" hotels over the years and so were delighted when this hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. From the moment we arrived and entered the comfortably appointed front lounge, we immediately noticed the superior customer service attitude, cleanliness and comfort. We were offered coffee, tea, cookies and fruit as we checked in and the front desk manager was courteous and helpful. The hotel is in excellent condition, appearing almost new, and our room was very spacious with a comfortable chair, a large desk and an extremely comfortable bed. Larger pillows would have been appreciated. The full breakfast was complimentary and included eggs, sausages, hot porridge as well as toast, juice, coffee, etc and newspapers were available in the front hall. Although we ate close to the end of the allotted breakfast hours, there was still plenty of food available for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Woodsidetraveller
On behalf of our entire team thank you for your time in posting such a kind review of your recent stay with us in Calgary.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to your satisfaction.

It would be out pleasure to host you again should your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Country Inn & Suites is a great hotel for Families to stay in Calgary. We had no complaints as the room was clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. They had a free breakfeast that was fine. The hotel also gave us a great deal on the Calgary Zoo. The hotel is well worth the price and recommend it to anyone who wants a clean and nice sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dawn D
Leanne S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calgary-Airport, AB, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for such a lovely review on your recent stay with us.

I am happy to hear that your family was able to take advantage of our Penguin Plunge Zoo package and that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable.

We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you back to Calgary!

Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We started our family vacation arriving at the Calgary Airport a little after mid-night. We took the courtesy van to the hotel (note that it stopped at two other hotels before we got to the Country Inn and Suites). Our plan was to spend the first night there before heading to Banff. After check in, we went up to the room. Although it was supposed to be a non-smoking room, it was obvious that someone had smoked in there quite a bit recently. We went back down to the front desk, where I asked the clerk to come up to the room and smell for herself. We were the last to check in, so there were no other rooms where she could place us. She seemed understanding and caring and stated that she would find us another hotel room and provide transportation to it after she got approval from the on-call night manager. Although I never spoke to him, I could hear the conversation over the phone.

The clerk relayed that he said it might be some "chemical smell". He refused to take any steps to remedy the unfortunate situation. So there we were, staying in the room was not an option as my son has asthma and is allergic to smoke. We had to find another place. The hotels in the area were all full. The situation deteriorated further when I found out that all the rental car counters had closed at 1 am, so I had no means of just driving around to find a place. Arriving at the airport I had noticed the Delta Hotel across from the terminal. I called them, caught a cab (the clerk called for me) and we headed there for the night. It was a sick feeling to be in a strange town so late at night with your family . . . having flown across the continent all day . . . stuck without a car. Fortunately the cab got us there and the Delta Hotel was most accommodating to our late arrival. I wound up paying a much higher rate and the cab fare to boot, but I had a room for my family to sleep in at last.

A few days later I spoke to the Country Inn manager who had not even heard of the problem. She was very apologetic and arranged for Expedia to credit my account. I still had to pay a much higher rate at the Delta and had to pay cab fare - small costs compared to the terrible start our vacation experienced. I travel extensively as part of my profession, and I can attest that never have had a worse hotel experience. This incident was not due to the front desk clerk who did her best to try to assist us – pin it on the on-call night manager who was not even at the hotel.

2 Thank MSM61
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent trip to Calgary.

As we discussed on the phone I am very sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced when you arrived at our hotel to find that the only room that was available had been previously smoked in and was thus not suitable for your family.

I am truly sorry that this was the way your family vacation started and appreciate that you took the opportunity to speak with me personally so that we could ensure that you were not charged by Expedia for a room you could not use.

We appreciate the feedback as we can only learn from our mistakes.

Kamloops, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

i booked and payed for a room for 3 people. when i got to the hotel at 3 am, i was given a room with only 1 bed and was told all 3 of us had to share the 1 bed. i was very upset at being told that there was nothing i could do but pay a higher price for an upgrade. i could not get my money back and go somwhere else. i was stuck. the desk person arued with both myself and my booking agent for over an hour about how it is always done this way and we just had to do it or pay more for a room with a pullout bed. good greife, it was 4 am, who else was going to come along and rent the room anyway. the desk girl argued so hard with us, she made it seem like she would have to have the price come out of her skn is she did us a favor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank cbotchar
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that the room you had reserved for your party of three people only had one king bed and would like to know more about how this room was reserved so that we can try and prevent a similar situation from occurring again. If you would be willing to discuss this with me I would like to you contact me either by phone or email at your convenience.

I will also be certain to speak with our front desk staff about how your situation was handled as it certainly should not have been a challenge to find you a more suitable room.

Again thank you for your feedback and I do hope to hear from you.

403-250-1800
leanne.shaw-brotherston@countryinns.com
Gulf Islands, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We needed to arrange a hotel near the Calgary Airport for our return flight to the West Coast. This hotel is a nice departure from the usual chain hotels, with a small-scale, friendly atmosphere, very knowledgeable staff, excellent hot breakfast included with the room, and one of the best designed suites I've ever stayed in. The three of us (sisters) were pleased with every aspect of the hotel, the careful directions from the front desk clerk got us to downtown Calgary and back by bus and C-train with no problems at all, the suite was clean, roomy, and attractive, and there were two very good restaurants, Cactus Club and Chilis, within a short walking distance. Chilis is about 50' from the hotel, Cactus Club is about half a block away. I would stay here anytime!

Room Tip: Didn't use room service, but the Chilis restaurant is currently providing room service. Pool is...