“We always stay here”

Ranked #52 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
southern alberta
“We always stay here”
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My husband and I stay here at least twice a year. We are from out of town, about two hours away. We stay here because the rooms are fairly reasonable, they offer free parking while we're away, and free shuttle service to the airport.
We usually stay here when we have an early airport departure,and in the winter we can't always be sure that the weather will allow us to make our plane on time , so we like to leave a day ahead of time, and stay at the ERI.
The rooms are decent, The food is also good. Recently they have changed their restaurant breakfast from a la carte, to buffet. I prefer a la carte, as I prefer hot food rather than food that sits for a few hours. But other than that, we have no complaints.

• Liked — Free Parking for 2 weeks and shuttle sevice
  • Disliked — Breakfast buffet
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Happyface2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
California
Reviewed October 21, 2008

I've had to stay here twice for business. If you are a seasoned business traveler and usually stay in decent hotels such as Hilton, Marriott, or Westin, you will be extremely disappointed. The rooms are old, furniture threadbare and excessively worn, and the beds have cheap mattresses and are hard.

I would avoid this place if at all possible. All the reviews you see talking about how nice this place is must be from folks who have no idea what decent is. I hope to avoid the place in the future at all cost.

• Liked — there is nothing worthy of this property
  • Disliked — bed is hard, mattress is cheap
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2008

We stayed there for two nights, and we got a special rate due to where we are employed. But I we were to stay there full price I would say that it is worth it. The rooms are nice, but the housekeeping could use some lessons on cleaning a washroom, and maybe I am a little biased because I use to be a housekeeper. We stayed in a standard room, and for a standard room it was pretty nice, basic, and simple. Not much else you can say, its not like it is the hotel Mcdonald or anything.

When we first arrived the front desk staff was very nice, but when we went down later to let them know that our other room would be arriving around 4am, and to not cancel the room, and DO NOT pre authorize our card because the other party was using their own. They did it anyway, but aside from the fact that that money would be held for about a week, it did not bother me because I knew the other party would be paying for their room.

I have worked in hotels for about three years now, and I think that makes you more critical when you travel, I am very particular on how clean the rooms are because I have done it, I am also very picky about how the front desk staff behaves, I think that if your going to be in customer service, you better be good at it, or else find a different job.

All in all, it is a decent place to stay, clean, comfortable, average customer service, and decent rooms. However, their breakfast could use a little work, I think out of everything they had to offer I only enjoyed the cereal.

• Liked — The Bed
  • Disliked — The Night Audit Staff.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jane L
Layton, Utah
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We arrived at the hotel late from the National Parks, and had an early flight out the next morning. It was a shame, because we would have liked more time to relax and enjoy the spacious room.

The decor was very tastefully done. The unique bedside reading lights (on ceiling) were very innovative [one person can read while the other sleeps]. There was a nice desk and a sofa-bed in the room. There was a separate area with a mirror, hair dryer, and coffee maker. A free morning paper was provided. There are quick key drops located in areas of the hotel other than the front desk. The room was quiet, and the A/C worked well. The shower was nice and extra towels were provided. The hotel was reasonably close to the airport.

The only negative was the lack of exercise equipment. This is a big hotel, and the "fitness center" consists of an eliptical and a treadmill. The hotel should not be permitted to advertise a "fitness center" with only two pieces of equipment.

We paid more than double the price for rooms near the National Parks, but the Executive Royal Inn was a much nicer hotel experience (and half the cost).

• Liked — Spacious and tastefully decorated rooms
  • Disliked — Fitness center inadequate
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Outdoorpartner
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Excellent location near the airport and walking distance to many good restaurants. Friendly staff, large rooms and very clean. The breakfast buffet is a great way to start the day so I recommend the "bed and breakfast" rate when booking.

• Liked — Close to the airport
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed July 2008
1 Thank HemisphereRambler
Monsey, NY
Reviewed July 4, 2008

My husband, son & I spent our last night of our Canadian Rockies vacation at the Executive Royal Inn because we had an early morning flight and wanted to be close to the airport. The hotel appeared to be mainly for business travelers and conventions, but it was convenient for us as well. The room was clean, a nice size, with a queen bed and a convertible sofa, and had a micro-fridge and coffee maker. We utilized 1 of the 2 hotel's hot tubs. We booked through AAA Motor Club and got a fairly good deal for decent lodging in Calgary. The hotel is not a 5 star property, but it worked for us.

• Liked — Convenience to Airport
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Monsey-Girl
Toronto
Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed at the Executive Inn Calgary twice last week. The first was for one night on the weekend ($99). The room was clean, staff friendly, check-in fast. The second time was for two nights during the week ($140), but that was a larger room and included breakfast. I believe the same room we stayed in the first stay was around $130 during the week. The extra $10 was well worth it. It obviously is not a luxury hotel, but it is quiet and clean which it what we are usually looking for (especially on a business trip). The only complaint was the internet. The first room we stayed in had a really sketchy wireless connection that sometimes worked and sometimes not. The second stay there was no wireless connection. I was told it depends on where you are in the hotel whether it will work. They provide a cable, but with two laptop users in the room this just doesn't cut it.

Stayed June 2008