“Convenient comfortable airport lodging with shuttle”

Executive Royal Hotel Calgary
Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“Convenient comfortable airport lodging with shuttle”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked this hotel specifically because it has an Avis rent a car on the property and an airport shuttle. We stayed one night comfortably then rented a car for a week saving the airport premiums that the airport rental car counters charge. Super convenient.

The hotel itself is pretty average but the rooms were comfortable and clean enough for a short stopover. As an "airport hotel", its gets the essential things right: clean, comfortable, free shuttle (pickup only, you need to pay $5 for drop off)

Fast free wifi was excellent and no complicated sign in or password.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

I will stay again. (I need to drop off my car and get shuttled back to the airport after my week snowboarding the BC interior)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Spent only one night at this hotel as was in town for a birthday party with some family and friends and was picking up someone from the airport. Check in was fine and had no problems with check out. The rooms are also suited for pets for an additional charge. Booked a King Executive suite and was happy with the large suite size. I did not use the pool or spa area but from what i could see looked very clean.

The hotel restaurant puts on an excellent Sunday Brunch ($22 per person) and would recommend making a reservation for any groups over four people.

Room Tip: Hotel is also a conference centre so take into consideration if booking during busier times of year.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christy J
Invermere, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Nobody blames anyone when this happens at 3 am but it would have been respectful to mention the event at check-out time and to give some type of explanation..... From a marketing point of view, you would think that management would offer something like a Tim Horton card or perhaps a discount on your next stay. It was not like there was an actual fire.

On the positive side, the new furniture looks great!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eric R
RoyalInnCalgary, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Calgary, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Eric R,

Thank you very much for your comments. It was certainly an interesting Sunday morning. I was one of the lucky ones that received the 3am phone call from the hotel. I appreciate the feedback and take full responsibility as I should have drafted a letter or memo for our Front Desk agents to hand out to our guests to inform them of why the incident occurred.

I would like to point out that although there was not a fire nor at any time was our guest’s safety at risk our fire suppression system did in fact work as it should have. We had an event occur in our lobby that resulted in a sprinkler going off and the alarm system activating.

I'm glad you like the new furniture. We just received the rest of our new beds which will finish off the guest room updates. We hope to have our newly renovated and expanded GYM up and running by Mid-January.

Once again thank you very much for your comments. I apologize for our short comings in dealing with the late night alarm and hope that you will continue to use us as your home away from home when in Calgary.

Edmonton
Reviewed December 10, 2012

check in took forever.. I had to phone the front desk, to get someone to come out of the back room. No help with bags. Hotel is under renovation and old mattresses were stack in the hall right beside our room. Room was cold and super dry. Not enough towels. Hot tub and steam room are non-existant. ( under renos).
Then the fun started,.. 3 am the fire alarm goes off.. no communication from staff no nothing... alarm rings for 35 minutes...

Wake up next morning.. totally exhausted and the idiots have the main door close, while the fire alarm tech works on it???
no staff to help or anything???
we parked at the front of the hotel.. and had to walk around the entire hotel... with bags, 3 kids, etc. in -15 degree weather...
what a joke..
i called the manager and explained my displeasure.. he didn't care..

don't stay at this dump

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Milkmannn
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Had a very brief stay here due to a mid day layover at the Calgary Airport. I purchased the room on a third party opaque site and was originally disappointed with that win, as I had wanted a different property. However, for the low price I paid, I have no complaints.

Check in was reasonably quick and I found myself in my room quickly. The cost to upgrade to a king sized bed would have been $50, which I passed on. One small complaint is that the 3 floor hotel seems to be served with one small elevator --not sure I'd want to be in a hurry and having to wait. The basic room was standard sized, with a queen size bed and sofa bed. New flat screen TV and limited cable TV choices. They had updated some of the decor from when I last stayed here 6 years ago so it doesn't look as stodgy as it used to. Bed was reasonably comfortable but a tad more firm than I personally prefer. The washroom was also standard sized for the area, meaning it was a bit cramped but workable. Shower pressure was more than adequate and toiletries were by Bath and Body Works. Room seemed quiet enough but I was there on a weekend when staff said the hotel was nowhere close to being full.

We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, Graze, but I have eaten there before. A la carte selections are usually fine, although very standard North American breakfast fare. On Sunday, the hotel does a very popular brunch --the food is okay but the price makes it the cheapest and most reasonable hotel brunch in the area.

I stay in the immediate area quite a bit for business travel and the hotel. This hotel is usually priced lower than most of my preferred choices. It'll do the trick for a decent stay but you should be a fairly independent traveler or here for a short stay to make the value choice worth staying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank game_misconduct
Dear game_misconduct,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I'm happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We often have some confusion over our elevators. There are two elevators that service all six floor of the hotel, however unlike most hotels they are at opposite ends of the hall.

You'll be happy to hear that we have just received the remainder of our beds and all of our beds are being upgraded to a pillow top style bed. All of our soft furnishings have been updated in the last few months and we hope to have our newly renovated GYM up and running by mid-January.

I hope that you will choose to make us your regular home away from home in the future.

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have traveled all over North and South America and this was the first hotel that did not try to accommodate my needs. I am over 6 feet tall and needed a king bed. I was told that it would cost an additional fifty dollars because I booked with Priceline.com. despite me showing that it was only a twenty dollar charge online. The front desk attendant was rude and unpleasant.
There was cardboard piled at the end of the hallway and stayed there for the 2 days I was there. The bathroom door was falling apart due to dry rot. This is not an Executive Hotel. With all the choices in Calgary for hotels, I would suggest you go to another one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Les H
RoyalInnCalgary, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Calgary, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Les H,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. Guest feedback good and bad is integral to our business. I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager to address with his team so that they are better prepared to help future guests with similar requests. As you noted the gap from our best available price on our website is $20 from our standard room rate, however the standard room rate you obtained through Priceline would have been deeply discounted from that rate. When we have inventory that is going to go stale we will use sites like Priceline to try and keep it from going stale, however we do not include our suites and upper end rooms in these discount price structures due to our increased overhead on these rooms.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience. Our team should have handled this request far better than they had and I truly apologize.

Armstrong, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2012

No pool , spa area was closed for renovations. Elevator floors were filthy ; on the second day we asked to have them cleaned. Only a breakfast buffet in the a.m. , one cannot order from the menu. Sunday a.m. the restaurant is closed from 9 -10 a.m. so one has to go somewhere else to eat at that time. Our room was okay and appeared to be clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gabby82184546
Dear Gabby82184546,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We strive to make every guests experience an enjoyable one and it is clear on this occasion we have missed the mark. We are currently updating a number of items in our hotel that has increased the amount of traffic in and out of the building substantially, unfortunately it has left our elevators in less than desirable condition. The last phase is beginning at the first part of December with the switch out of 200 mattress sets, which is 400 pieces in and 400 pieces out. Once we have finished this the elevators cars will become a top priority. To speak to the fact that we do not have a pool, this was done intentionally as we cater to largely to a business clientele that are looking for a quiet hotel.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It is truly unfortunate that we did not live up to our own expectations. As stated a lot of the concerns that you have outlined is due to improvements we are making. I'm confident that should you choose to stay with us again in the future you will see a much improved hotel.