“Fabulous stay”

Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous stay”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed stay in this hotel. Facilities are very good, rooms are great size and location is perfect. What impressed most was the excellent and warm service provided by the staff! Fabulous little extra is the hot tea / coffee and pastry delivered to your room in the morning! Would recommend this hotel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Remco A
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you very much for recommending the Inn. This is truly the best compliment that we could receive. Your feedback on our staff, facility, and service is very kind. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the coffee and tea tray was so memorable for you. We look forward to hosting you again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a lovely house that has been turned into a boutique hotel. Great for visiting a company downtown, but you need a car or a cab, you can't walk to town really.
Nice friendly people and a swingeing CAD 650 a night the week before Stampede.

Room Tip: Noisy main road, try to get put at the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HenryTrafalgar
Thank you for your comments. Although we are located a 15 minute walk to central downtown, it can seem like an eternity if you are commuting during a harsh Calgarian winter day!

We are happy to mention that we have added a taxi zone to the front drive of the inn so that cabs are far more readily available. We greatly hope that we will see you again the next time you are in Calgary.

Stockton, New Jersey
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently visited for business. I opted to stay at the Inn as opposed to the downtown chain hotels, because it looked interesting and more my style. I could not have been more pleased: the staff, particularly the two females I interacted with, was delightful and professional, my exec room was very quiet and cozy, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The room service options were limited, but that seems understandable given the size of the hotel and restaurant. Also, there are numerous other dining options in the near proximity of the hotel. The breakfast, mostly included with the $20 voucher, was delicious. If I happen to be in Calgary again, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review outlining your recent stay. Your feedback helps us qualify our service offering and keeps us striving to continually meet and exceed our guests’ expectations. We would like to most definitely invite you to stay with us again for your next visit to Calgary.

Edmonton
Reviewed December 7, 2013

It was a lovely location but unfortunately the weather prevented us from exploring so we decided to stay in the room. The room was average sized, we paid extra for an upgrade but the only upgrade I could see was a fireplace, I can't imagine what a basic room was. There was such a draft in the window which was right where the shower/bath was and there was sporadic hot water, brrr there was no way I could have a bath. The room itself was no excitement, we've paid less and gotten much more for the dollar. I would think that we could get room service anytime of the day for what we paid but I couldn't even get toast when I wanted it later evening. We had breakfast which was pretty good but the menu was so limited to 6-8 choices and most not very healthy. I had to eat the same thing both mornings we were there because I don't eat meat besides fish and eggs. I know it's a well-known restaurant and very popular with foodies but breakfast should have been better considering that.

I was woken up both mornings by noises in other parts of the hotel - you could hear the banging about of the cleaning staff and their chatter and some strange knocking sounds. I really wanted to have a good experience at this Inn, but I was disappointed - we didn't even get a wine/beverage fridge as we were told we would get when booking. We were also checking in the day of a wedding and had a notice that we would have to go around back if we wanted to leave the building during the period of time of the ceremony. We paid for full access to all areas, thankfully we didn't arrive then but that would have angered me that as paying guests we would have to cater to a wedding party! The entrance when we arrived at the Inn at 2 a.m was still a mess from the wedding that happened at around 4pm, it was very off-putting to see such a jumbled mess and lack of professionalism regarding clean up. I don't think I'd come back to this Inn, it wasn't run professionally, noisy and it doesn't cater to the needs of the patrons unless it's convenient for the staff and Inn. The Inn really needs an upgrade both inside the rooms and around the lobby. I was really looking forward to staying here because we needed a romantic getaway, this was a let down.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the winter if you want a warmer shower and make sure you scope out the restaurants...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jane G
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide an in-depth review of your stay with us. It is unfortunate that your stay did not reflect a positive experience overall.

The intimate setting of the Inn is a selling feature that we often hear positive remarks about, but it appears we did not achieve this desired ambiance during your stay.

To ensure our wedding ceremonies are respected and managed accordingly we do usher our guests to other entrances of the Inn to ensure our happy couples receive exemplary service. I do apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate your understanding for ensuring their service was not interrupted. The impact to guests is typically minimal as this policy is adhered to only during the ceremony.

Small details of your stay (wine fridge, and lack of toast) being overlooked is unacceptable. I only wish you had contacted our front desk directly during your stay so that we may have corrected the concerns. I am confidant both items would have been delivered in a timely fashion, should you have requested them.

Ultimately we did not deliver an exceptional experience, and this is very unfortunate to me. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel as I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay in more depth.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Mandy at the Kensington Riverside Inn was so helpful and caring when I was booking a night for my grandparents. It was very important to me that they have a good time and were placed in a comfortable, quiet room, and the entire staff was absolutely and totally accommodating.

Both of my grandparents can't stop talking about how amazing their night was, and the inn had no problem switching their down comforter for a hypoallergenic one because of my grandpa's allergies. They both enjoyed their breakfast in the morning and were helped every step of the way by very competent staff who waited on them hand and foot.

The Kensington Riverside Inn is a hidden gem in Calgary, an absolute treasure and worth visiting even if you live in the city!

Room Tip: Every room is wonderful, but the suites are the nicest you will find anywhere! Worth the splurge!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. Mandy was delighted to read your review and greatly appreciated your kind words.

I am pleased that our level of service and the rooms at the Inn were satisfactory for your grandparents and hope that we will see them again when they revisit.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed at the Kensington Riverside Inn to celebrate our 3 Year anniversary, I booked a few weeks in advance and mentioned that we were celebrating an anniversary, so if it was possible to get a quieter room that would be great.

Upon Arrival not only did they give us a nice quiet room, they also included a bottle of champagne and some rose petals on the bed with a nice little congrats message.

The room was great and more than we expected, we did have one little problem with the fireplace, which wasn't a big deal because we didn't plan on using the fireplace anyway. I mentioned it on the comment card when we were checking out, and within a day I got an email from Mandy, their Front Desk Supervisor apologizing to us and letting us know that they had fixed the problem.

We really enjoyed the hotel, the staff was very friendly and helpful and they included 2 $20 breakfast vouchers to use at their restaurant down stairs in the morning. We will defiantly be back again and will recommend it to friends and family.

Great work guys!

Chris & Nelli

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesse_KRI, Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments about your experience at the Inn. We thrive on the opportunity to make special occasions even more memorable; and appear to have hit the mark with your anniversary stay.

Also, thank you for your word of mouth recommendations to your friends and family. This is truly the highest form of flattery in the hospitality industry, and we greatly appreciate the gesture.
We are looking forward to the opportunity to host you and your husband for your 4th year anniversary (but hopefully sooner!)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with another couple. Right from calling in to book our rooms the staff was amazing and super accommodating. We stayed the end of October. Our rooms were gorgeous....our room overlooked the river....and our friends room had a private patio that was on the back side of the hotel. The hotel is right in Kensington so it was a block away from amazing shops and dining. The hotel is over looking the skyline and the river. You couldn't ask for a better location or view. I cannot say enough for the staff. The people they have working at the hotel truly care about their clients. You can tell that they want you to have an amazing stay and that the staff all take pride in the hotel and want clients to enjoy the hotel. They go above and beyond. We had breakfast brought up from the restaurant which was hot and amazing...and our custom coffees and a paper greeted us at the door when we woke up. This hotel is small warm and intimate with a very high end look.... The rooms are all newly redone and beautiful. The views and food are spectacular. The staff was better than any hotel I had every stayed at...they really bend over backwards to make sure that you are very well taken care of and that you enjoy your stay. We will DEFINATLY be staying here again and recommending it to our friends!

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for river facing rooms ....if you want a quiet ask for a room at north side...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking time to write your comments on tripadvisor. Your feedback is fantastic confirmation that we are achieving our service ideals and creating the guest experience that we strive for.

Word of mouth and forums such as this are vital to our success and growth and I greatly appreciate you spreading the word of our exemplary service and the quality of our property.

We would greatly appreciate seeing you and your husband again at the Inn and look forward to the opportunity to make your next stay even better!