Kensington Riverside Inn
Hotel Elan
  • Breakfast included
$116
$89
All reviewschef's tablememorial driveboutique hoteloxbow restaurantbow riversmall hoteleach morningwedding nightgreat boutiqueroad noisecomplimentary coffeeunderground parkingcomfortable beddowntown calgarymodern decorroom rateclose to downtown
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here a few times over the past four or five years. Every time has been very enjoyable. Rooms are nicely decorated, staff are fantastic, and the restaurant is terrific (especially for breakfast). We stayed in room 101 (one of their luxury suites) for one night in November, and while the room itself was very nice, the location of the room was problematic. We noticed 3 things about the room:
- It's located on the main floor, just off the main lobby area. In the evening they setup tables for the restaurant in the lobby area, which means that you wind up with diners just outside your door - this is a little noisy.
- The room has a small balcony with patio doors facing the front of the hotel. While the hotel has installed excellent blinds in the windows to minimize light entering the room from the street at night, the blinds on the patio doors do not fit flush with the window, which means that light from the street enters the room through the gaps between the blinds and the door. Headlights from passing cars sweeps across the bed at night, and there is a street lamp that lines up directly with the gaps and the bed, which results in a couple of strips of fairly bright light across the bed at night. If you like a dark room when you sleep, this will probably cause you an issue.
- Finally, the room is also located on the main floor, facing Memorial Drive. The traffic noise can get a little loud at times.
We returned a couple of nights later on our way back home and stayed in room 219, which is one of their king size rooms. We had no issues with this one. Overall, our stay was really enjoyable, and the staff was genuinely interested in our views of room 101 after staying there. I still recommend this hotel with no hesitation, just be aware of the items that come along with 101 if you stay there. Still our favourite hotel in Calgary, and I still rate it as excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank livetotravelcdn
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night as we were in Calgary for a concert. We got KRI recommended by a friend and had wanted to try out the restaurant(in the hotel)"Chefs Table" for some time so decided to stay over. The hotel is nicely decorated and the service is personal. I loved the little extras like slippers, turn down service, coffee tray and paper in the morning. Our room had a fireplace and large windows and it really felt more like part of a house than a traditional hotel. The included breakfast was great and cooked in front of us in the open kitchen in the "chefs table" restaurant. We really enjoyed our supper there too and found both food and service fantastic! Kensington is a great area with plenty of small boutiques, coffee shops and restaurants. The hotel is close to the train and just opposite the river.
All in all we loved it. Will come again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank SofieBVN
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We live in Calgary, but decided to try the Riverside as a staycation for our anniversary. It was great. Small, initimate hotel right in walkable Kensington with great views of downtown. Breakfast was superb the next morning, and the staff as friendly and helpful. Not cheap, but overall good value for your money.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank mattsheldrake
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked a night at the Kensington Riverside Inn this past weekend for a surprise getaway for my husband and I. Let me say it was AMAZING!!! The Inn is decorated absolutely beautifully! As soon as we pulled up I knew I made the right choice. It reminded me of a historic building but inside it has been all renovated and is modern.

We booked the dine & stay package. The meals were phenominal. Such a neat experience to watch the chef's in the kitchen creating masterpieces that were meticuosly plated to perfection. Included in the package was a dining credit for supper as well as breakfast.

I love the intimate feeling of the 19-room inn. The rooms are very big, with the most comfortable beds. The finishings in the room were perfect!

The service was top notch from when I phoned to book the hotel (they were able to arrange massages for us last minute), to check-in. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. The rooms were very clean.

I would definately recommend this inn and hope we can visit again.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the back alley, so if you are concerned, try request a view to the south, not sure if it is possible.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kristin_sweet
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I celebrated a very special anniversary here and I'm so glad we chose KRI. Loved the room decor - we were told it had just been redone a week ago - room 219. The attention to detail was spectacular. We had our first fine dining experience at The Chef's Table as well. I'm so glad we chose to celebrate in style. My husband commented that he wasn't used to such attentive service, being escorted to our rooms, the waiters at the restaurant were so helpful. This is a luxury hotel that is worth the money. Service plus attention to detail = special++.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple