WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Kensington Riverside Inn

Kensington Riverside Inn
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
regina, canada
“Great as usual, just not crazy about room 101”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I have stayed here a few times over the past four or five years. Every time has been very enjoyable. Rooms are nicely decorated, staff are fantastic, and the restaurant is terrific (especially for breakfast). We stayed in room 101 (one of their luxury suites) for one night in November, and while the room itself was very nice, the location of the room was problematic. We noticed 3 things about the room:
- It's located on the main floor, just off the main lobby area. In the evening they setup tables for the restaurant in the lobby area, which means that you wind up with diners just outside your door - this is a little noisy.
- The room has a small balcony with patio doors facing the front of the hotel. While the hotel has installed excellent blinds in the windows to minimize light entering the room from the street at night, the blinds on the patio doors do not fit flush with the window, which means that light from the street enters the room through the gaps between the blinds and the door. Headlights from passing cars sweeps across the bed at night, and there is a street lamp that lines up directly with the gaps and the bed, which results in a couple of strips of fairly bright light across the bed at night. If you like a dark room when you sleep, this will probably cause you an issue.
- Finally, the room is also located on the main floor, facing Memorial Drive. The traffic noise can get a little loud at times.
We returned a couple of nights later on our way back home and stayed in room 219, which is one of their king size rooms. We had no issues with this one. Overall, our stay was really enjoyable, and the staff was genuinely interested in our views of room 101 after staying there. I still recommend this hotel with no hesitation, just be aware of the items that come along with 101 if you stay there. Still our favourite hotel in Calgary, and I still rate it as excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank livetotravelcdn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night as we were in Calgary for a concert. We got KRI recommended by a friend and had wanted to try out the restaurant(in the hotel)"Chefs Table" for some time so decided to stay over. The hotel is nicely decorated and the service is personal. I loved the little extras like slippers, turn down service, coffee tray and paper in the morning. Our room had a fireplace and large windows and it really felt more like part of a house than a traditional hotel. The included breakfast was great and cooked in front of us in the open kitchen in the "chefs table" restaurant. We really enjoyed our supper there too and found both food and service fantastic! Kensington is a great area with plenty of small boutiques, coffee shops and restaurants. The hotel is close to the train and just opposite the river.
All in all we loved it. Will come again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank SofieBVN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We live in Calgary, but decided to try the Riverside as a staycation for our anniversary. It was great. Small, initimate hotel right in walkable Kensington with great views of downtown. Breakfast was superb the next morning, and the staff as friendly and helpful. Not cheap, but overall good value for your money.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank mattsheldrake
Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I booked a night at the Kensington Riverside Inn this past weekend for a surprise getaway for my husband and I. Let me say it was AMAZING!!! The Inn is decorated absolutely beautifully! As soon as we pulled up I knew I made the right choice. It reminded me of a historic building but inside it has been all renovated and is modern.

We booked the dine & stay package. The meals were phenominal. Such a neat experience to watch the chef's in the kitchen creating masterpieces that were meticuosly plated to perfection. Included in the package was a dining credit for supper as well as breakfast.

I love the intimate feeling of the 19-room inn. The rooms are very big, with the most comfortable beds. The finishings in the room were perfect!

The service was top notch from when I phoned to book the hotel (they were able to arrange massages for us last minute), to check-in. The waiter was attentive and knowledgeable. The rooms were very clean.

I would definately recommend this inn and hope we can visit again.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the back alley, so if you are concerned, try request a view to the south, not...
2 Thank kristin_sweet
Stavely, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I celebrated a very special anniversary here and I'm so glad we chose KRI. Loved the room decor - we were told it had just been redone a week ago - room 219. The attention to detail was spectacular. We had our first fine dining experience at The Chef's Table as well. I'm so glad we chose to celebrate in style. My husband commented that he wasn't used to such attentive service, being escorted to our rooms, the waiters at the restaurant were so helpful. This is a luxury hotel that is worth the money. Service plus attention to detail = special++.

1 Thank writerdivine
calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Riverside Inn for our fifth wedding anniversary this past Saturday night. We always go to Banff when we need a night away but decided to do something different this time. To put it simply, everything about our stay was top notch. Room was clean and had excellent decor. We requested some ice from front desk and it was at our door in five minutes. We headed out for dinner and came back to a room with rose pedals scattered over the room with a congratulatory letter for our anniversary with chocolates. Awesome! The bed was the best I have ever slept in anywhere ( i have stayed in hundreds of hotels ) and we had waiting in the morning at the door tea and juice in bed! We had complimentary breakfast at the Chef's Table at the Inn and it was also excellent. This is the best kept secret in Calgary and I would recommend this hotel to everyone. We will be back. Thanks Riverside Inn, it is nice to see that someone in the world still cares about it's customers! Marc.

2 Thank marc l
Canmore, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

My visits to the KRI are always a treat. It's a beautiful hotel, with excellent rooms. When I'm visiting Calgary I always prefer to stay a bit out of town as there is more to see and down than in downtown. The staff at the KRI are a delight, especially Mandy. Don't come here expecting the services of a downtown business hotel, but do come here expecting a relaxing stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business