“Best hotel in Calgary”

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #10 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I travel to Calgary a lot, at least twice per month. I tend to alternate between the major business hotels (including Le Germaine, the Hyatt, palliser, Westin, etc.) and I really feel that the Eau Claire is the best. The rooms are very roomy and comfortable, amenities are great and the hotel is generally pretty quiet. The room service menu has some healthy choices and the service is always timely. It is located a couple of blocks further away from the core, so expect to walk a bit further. That is a good thing to me because I like the exercise. One of the hotels best assets is that it is located right next to some fabulous walking trails. Walking across the bridge and through the river valley is very relaxing. There is also a great Joeys restaurant just steps away.

The only real negatives are the location (which I think is a positive) and the hotel and rooms are quite traditional compared to the more modern Westin and Le Germaine. Plus the showers do not have trays to hold soap and shampoo.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank MisterDonair
Ian M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience our outstanding service and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next escape to Calgary.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We spent 1 night at the Sheraton Suites, Calgary. The location was great and the service was great. Our room was very spacious and super clean. Our GPS didn't work very well in the area, I assume due to the tall buildings so we had to pay close attention to where we were when trying to find it. The kids really enjoyed the pool with the big/fast water slide

Room Tip: I would plan my route on a map ahead of time, don't rely on your GPS working to get you here
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the lovely review. I am thrilled to learn you and your family had an enjoyable stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. Our waterslide is a must see in Calgary! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed in the Sheraton for 2 nights while visiting Calgary for The Stampede. I felt the room was comfortable with separate sitting area and bedroom with a comfortable bed and large bathroom. I felt sleep quality was good since I felt our room was in a quiet area facing a side street. We were within walking distance to the parade and $10 cab ride to the Stampede. There are also several restaurants not too far away. The spaghetti factory down the street The Keg Steakhouse a block away and 2 restaurants across the road. There are also 2places to eat on property. So I would definately return.

Room Tip: If you wants quiet room get a room facing a side street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback from your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience our convenient location in Eau Claire Market. We look forward to welcoming you back time and time again.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We booked with Sheraton because we wanted a downtown hotel with suites that have a separate bedroom for young kids who sleep early. Overall it's a decent hotel but - despite really wanting to like it - lots of little things made it disappointing and very unlikely we'd return.

First-off, despite the fact we have a very young child (age given at time of booking), they placed us in a 3rd floor suite right by the pool where we could very clearly hear splashing and screaming from other families while we were trying to put our toddler to bed. The room was also one of the unrenovated ones - seemed like 70s decor - which I really wouldn't expect when you pay $300+ per night. We got switched with no fuss, thankfully, to a more modern suite on a higher level.

Second, a major pull of the hotel was the "heated" pool. However, although they allow kids in up to 10pm at night, they aren't allowed in until 11am - this is not stated on the website and is a pretty rubbish set-up for families with younger kids who wake early. The website also states the pool is heated - it was FREEZING when we tried it.

Lastly, as previous people have commented, it seems absurd that for the prices charged per night that internet (and even local calls) are charged extra. Really? Is this 1998?

We've stayed at a few different hotel chains as a family (e.g. Fairmont, and most recently Park Plaza in the UK), and i'd definitely return to one of those instead.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor (7 or higher) to avoid noise from streets and the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah C

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am sorry to learn your experience with us did not meet your expectations. Please advise upon your next reservation so that we provide accommodations that would make you and your family more comfortable. We appreciate your thoughts and consistently review guest feedback so that we can implement the best practices for our guests.

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Went into adjoining bar part of Sheraton Fionn mccools from outter beer garden entrance. The waitress told us the bar door was closed for a reason. Very rude to visit a place and be turned away 6 Irish visitors and my elderly dad who has poor mobility and has a walking aid needed a seat to rest and with the hot weather we needed a drink water. On exiting area a girl at the door commented "did u enjoy your visit" and laughed. Very rude I must say. Gave us a bad taste of Calgary on our family holiday.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Peecodown

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay. I am sorry to learn of your recent experience. I can assure you this is not a reflection of the service standards we pride ourselves on. I have shared your comments with my team and will review with them our procedures and service standards. We hope we came make amends the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

It is nice to stay in a hotel with attentive and cheerful staff that can handle volumes of inquiries in a graceful manner. I checked in last Saturday and it was a busy day. Maral, the front desk, very politely apologized for the wait. She handled my reservation in a very efficient manner. Apart from the great service, the room was contemporary finished with interesting photos about Calgary. It is well appointed and pristine. I pleasantly discovered that it has +15 walkway making it convenient to explore the rest of the city center.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louise c

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in your suite. I will be sure to give you feedback to Maral! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This lovely hotel is beautifully situated near the Bow River for walks and bike rides, and 10 minutes on foot to downtown and shopping.  Bike rental is less than a minute's walk away.

Had 3 nights here on business in a deluxe king suite Rm 1135, facing the open courtyard with a lovely view of the river through floor to ceiling windows.  A cozy suite with all the usual Sheraton amenities.  Of note: with Calgary's dry air, I was pleased to see a well-functioning humidifier, but because it was also a bit cold, I asked for a space heater.  This was a much better unit than is usually offered by hotels.  Also, there were 2 TVs, a kitchen with fridge, sink, microwave and cupboards and drawers, coffee and tea facilities, small but attractively and comfortably furnished living room and bedroom, and a bathroom with tub.  All looked refurbished.  The bed was the usual delicious "sweet sleeper" bed, and there were entrances into the bathroom from both the foyer and bedroom - which made for efficient navigation.

This hotel is or appears new, the lobby décor is upscale, bright and welcoming, and the staff are friendly as usual.  The housekeeping staff and restaurant servers are, without exception, excellent.  Dinner at Fionn McCools was great (spice cake with vanilla ice cream, recommended by the waitress, was unparalleled), and lunch on the front patio was excellent.

Room for improvement:  Internet was purchased on a 24 hour clock for around $26. This was provided free of charge at the Sheraton in Ottawa, and given the room rate, should be included here.  Sheraton's policy of providing a $5 voucher or extra loyalty points for guests opting out of housekeeping for environmental reasons was not offered here - this is a Sheraton first for me.  The greatest area for improvement is kitting out the kitchen.  There was not one piece of cutlery or one dish, let alone no dish cloth, towells or soap, pots or pans.  The only items in all the cupboards and drawers were 2 wine glasses, 2 other drinking glasses, and a kettle.  All of the above details are unexpected in a hotel of this calibre with the pricey rate ($369 plus fees and taxes - a preferred/group rate at that!) that it charges.

As a gold SPG member, I choose Sheratons where convenient. Overall, this is an attractive all-suite hotel, wonderfully situated, but at over $410 inc taxes per night for the deluxe king suite, value for money could be improved with relatively minor modifications.

Room Tip: I would choose a suite with a view of the Bow River and the plaza.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Ingle
Ian M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Thank you for the detailed review. We are committed to delivering exemplary service to our guests and appreciate all feedback as it allows our team to ensure our guests needs are met. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!