“What Was It Supposed To Be?”

Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Relatively new, and after staying in this hotel on two occasions I am left with the impression that the building was originally intended to be something other than a hotel. Perhaps a hospital? The accommodation is all suites, but once the bedroom is filled with two queen size beds there is not a lot of room left. The suites have a kitchenette, but it is not stocked with tableware, etc.; so is of limited use. The desk has good lighting, with convenient plugs. The sitting area is quite small. This is a Sheraton, but within the suites and in the halls the decor and quality of furnishings is more like a Comfort Inn. If you like large hallways, this is the place for you; the halls are as big as those in hospitals, with enough width to park gurneys on both sides and still leave lots of space for passage.

1  Thank NVCBJ
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your observations and descriptions of the guest suites and corridors. In the future, perhaps one of our king bedded rooms may afford you more space in the bedroom area and should you require any additional flatware or silverware, to be used with the wet bar area, our team would be happy to provide. Thank you again for your feedback.

Gord Minor

Write a ReviewReviews (1,013)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel has just about everything you want when travelling on business, as the name implies this is an all suites hotel, so every room has a separate bedroom, small kitchentte,table with internet connection (eat or work) fridge,separate sitting area, with couch and extra TV... nicely furnished...The bedroom has plenty of storage as well as a TV.. My only quibble is they didn't seem to have an in-room safe or hairdryer (thank goodness I never travel without my own)Downstairs there's a Fionn McCools pub, reasonably priced and good food, as well as another fine dining type of restuarant... the hotel also has a pool (didn't get there), It's a great downtown location, walking distance to a number of good restaurants and the hotel access to the Plus 15 (overhead walkways that connect downtown buildings) so that you don't have to walk outside on a cold Calgary day. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank terrill03

Thank you for such a great review of your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the suite configuration and our F&B offerings. We do have a newly renovated Health Club and a fabulous pool (with a waterslide), that perhaps you might get a chance to experience on your next visit. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were visiting family from October 13-23 and had a suite on the twelfth floor. At least once a day, our room was made up and we were given a nightly turn down service. (two apples, chocolates and a soothing evening slumber tea)

Our maid was Raquel. She was so thorough and helpful. Amazing service. As platinum members, we had access to the Club Lounge.

Every morning, a wonderful breakfast is available and the staff was incredible! Two staff members stood out with their bright smiles and cheery dispositions. Sam and Song are the sweetest! Every morning they greeted us with bright smiles and were so genuine with their welcoming personalities. We noticed they treated everyone as if they were family. I loved it! In the evening, h'ordeurves are served complimentary and there was a huge variety throughout the entire twelve days.

The bell staff was also very welcoming, helpful and attentive. It was nice returning to such curteous service every day and it is so secure. The Links in the lobby is a great way to keep in touch with family/work; the guest laundry on the twelfth floor is pre-loaded with detergent and the front desk will give you Bounce fabric softener sheets and change if you need it.

The location is also extremely convenient. It connects to the +15 indoor walkway which is great for those cold, blustery days. There are taxis readily available round the clock.

The concierge was so helpful in getting me a ticket to "Pride and Prejudice" at the Epcor center. They also called a car service for us. The driver was so safety conscious! We had to go to the airport in a miserable snow storm. He was the best driver I have ever seen. His car was spotless, black leather seats and as other cars were slip sliding away, he maneauvered us safely around and had such control that I actually relaxed. Amazing. I actually asked for his card because I knew I would be writing this review.

The car service is Al-Limousine (403-831-7778) . His rates were extremely reasonable and he was friendly and courteous. I thank the Sheraton Suites for calling him for us.

The "not so good": The welcome letter in our suite by the general manager was addressed to my husband only, even though I was on the reservation. (different last names) His letter excluded me and made it sound like I would be charged for the Club Lounge although I share the platinum membership. I felt so unwelcomed by this letter. When we went to breakfast, the signing card clearly says two breakfasts are included but the letter made it sound like only my husband would be welcomed in the Club Lounge. The "welcome" letter needs to be as clearly stated as the signing card. Also, once when I went to charge something to OUR room, I was denied because the last names didn't match. This is 2012, folks. I felt like I didn't exist without using my husband's name. Come on, fellas! Get with the idea of having independent females with careers and names of their own. It may not seem like a big deal to those who have not experienced the "does your 'daddy' know" situation. I found it insulting when there is no need of having that situation in our society. Two names on one reservation isn't that complicated.

Other than that, we had a fantastic trip to Calgary. The Sheraton is clean, the staff is courteous, friendly and helpful. We will stay there again. I hope Song and Sam are there to greet us!

Room Tip: I believe all of the rooms are suites. Lots of functional space.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KateZone

Thank you for the wonderful review of the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We truly appreciate the feedback for highlights and opportunities. The Sheraton Club floor is indeed a fantastic option when travelling, we are so glad that you enjoyed the lounge and our team of colleagues. Please accept my apology in regards to letter and billing authority by not including your name as well as your husband's. By no means was it our intent to offend you in any way. We are looking into ways that we might approve upon this shortfall.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed October 23, 2012

This hotel has it all... a fabulous location, attentive staff and beautiful rooms. We walked to the River View Restaurant one evening... over a bridge and paved trails thru the park lead to great dining. A walk in the opposite direction leads you to fabulous downtown businesses and shopping. This hotel staff, from the valet parkers, front desk staff to the folks at the concierge desk... smiles and gracious assistance all around. There is even a hotel dog who will join you on your walks around town. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CBYankee
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for such a great review of the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. I am so glad to learn that you took advantage of the Eau Claire area and of course or Canine Ambassador "Ben".

We truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Have stayed here many time. Never dissappointed. The location is wonderful given it's proximity to Princess Island, the Eau Claire market, various restaurants, and downtown. Over the many years we have stayed here we have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DrPAlberta
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank you for the supportive review. We are very glad to know that you were able to take advantage of the hotel and its surrounding amenities such as Prince's Island Park.
We do look forward to yet again welcoming you back to the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

From beginning to end, the word Hospitality was exemplified at every turn of my stay. While the property is in tip-top shape, specific individuals made the experience even more memorable.

Front Desk Reception Ashley, Emilia and Scott, teamed with Doorman Adam, could not have been more helpful, jovial, or caring. They genuinely greeted this weary traveller. As I casually mentioned a sudden urge for a Snickers bar, Emilia presented me with this confection as if a set of royal jewels. Valerie's accommodations with my late-night flight was the topping on the cake. And one more mention, Vaughn the Concierge took the time from an active desk with my email question. What may seem like basic gestures for me portray the essence of service.

Thank You All. You would be a reason I'd reason to return to Calgary let along Canada!

Room Tip: City views from all corners are a positive.
1  Thank ServiceAdvocate007

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, not only on the hotel but with the amazing team that we have here. I will be sure to share your accolades with the entire team and especially those that you have noted.
We are very proud to be your reason for staying in Calgary and Canada!

Thank you very much from the entire team.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel is ideally located in the heart of downtown, steps away from the river walk area, and great local coffee! (Check out local roaster Good Earth just across the street)... And if you book early, rates are really reasonable (at least when we went, late September)....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank acminkus

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire.
The Eau Claire area of Calgary is truly a beautiful setting for our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Calgary.