“OK but hotel needs renovating”

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Purley, United Kingdom
“OK but hotel needs renovating”
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for two nights.

The hotel on the whole is acceptable and the staff are friendly. However it is location is now somewhat out of place with all the new shiny glass fronted offices and hotels surrounding it and this hotel is now a bit outdated.

We had a room on the 17th floor facing the street and it was noisy. But if you a have a room at the rear, you will be facing at least one new building being erected and tower cranes and it appears another site further behind is about to commence. This building work which seems to start early in the morning echoes off the surrounding buildings and causes a noise problem at the front as well. Unfortunately Canadian and US hotels in down town locations do not know how to sound proof their windows adequately and noise through windows is a huge problem.

The suite we had, was a good size and presentable. As strangers to the city, we found no notification for parking, and in the end just pulled up outside and got the valet service to move the car.

The pool in the sub basement is a little tired and the water is a little on the cool side. Breakfasts are nothing to write home about and again the restaurant is tired. We had the best steaks ever, at Caesars about 200m along Fourth Ave. Not cheap but excellent.

We found Calgary a very pleasant city to walk around.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Tommy129

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My non-smoking 2-bedroom suite reservation was made over 6 months before my trip. I was given a key to the 3rd floor, which is smoke-mania. I called the front desk, said I'm allergic to smoke. Their reply "that's all we have - our hotel is full" (and this was for $175/night). I called Travelocity, through which I'd made the reservation - it took them 20 minutes to convince the front desk to move me. I was given a room with 1 bed, and no change in rate - and told I would have to move to a different room half way through my week's stay. At least there was no smoke, but cramped for my family of 4. The reservation I made for 2 male co-workers (a room with 2 beds) - they were given a room with 1 bed. The front desk response? "That's all we have - our hotel is full." They absolutely did not care. The fitness center contains a universal set and 3 pieces of equipment. Two of the pieces didn't work during my entire week stay. The hotel room was dirty, dusty, mildewy, moldy, and run down. There was toothpaste stuck around the sink when I arrived (the previous tenant? a tenant from last year?) Gross! The toilet tank had stuff chipping and flaking off the back that kept dropping to the floor. The entire hotel is tired, sad, and old. Right behind the hotel, in plain sight, hookers walk the corner. My husband was solicited, as well as both my 20 and 17 year old sons. It rained, and the window and ceiling had a steady leak under which I placed bath towels. After an hour the towels were soaked. I'd called maintenance, and was told they know all about the problem. They brought me a bundle of rags to use in place of the towels. They apparently are on a long wait list for contractors to fix the problem. And I was told the leak in my room was nothing compared to some others! I looked up at the ceiling and could see where they kept painting over the leak. The whole place reeked of mildew. A disgusting hotel . Terrible front desk employees.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank ant0725
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2006

I just wanted to write a review to let everyone know I just got in on a flight from out of town. I had a reservation confirmed with this hotel and an actual confirmation number for a guaranteed late arrival. The Hotel sold my room reservation before I arrived. I am now sitting in the lobby while they are trying to find another hotel for me and they are not having much luck.
So I would reccommend any other hotel than this one. Very dissapponted. Go elsewhere!

Stayed April 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2006

stayed there for 2 weeks when I first moved to Calgary, It was just great, great service, and overall everything was just perfect

2 Thank Mashtee
Calgary
Reviewed November 5, 2005

Stayed over a long weekend for a convention. I live in the same city but had to stay with the other conventioners. The hotel is outdated and appears to have been last renovated in the eighties. I stayed in a suite that had everything I needed. It was on the 24th floor and way to high up for me so if you are afraid of heights, ask for a room lower down. The pool and hot tub were a bit icky and old and there were lots of kids splashing around playing water polo so I couldn't relax in there. The nightlife is dead in the hotel's location of downtown Calgary, but you can walk a few blocks away and dine on Stephen Avenue. It's usually quite safe to venture around Calgary. They have been recently renovating, so maybe the hotel can get a much needed facelift. It served it's purpose for a convention.

Vancouver BC
Reviewed October 9, 2005

A great location in the heart of Calgary. Close to Princess island and the downtown core. All rooms are large suites with separate bedrooms, 2 TVs seating room.
Needs major updating as it is starting to get a little tired. Good value if you want space and location.
The goat cheese omelet in the restaurant is very good.
Be prepared to pay for high speed internet (it should be included in the price.
Try to get a room that faces Princess Island as it will be quieter.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 1, 2005

This hotel was terrible. The room was very old and not very clean. Housekeeping was very poor. Although it had a sliding door, it was almost impossible to open it. There was no air conditioning in the front room, and the air conditioning units in the bedrooms were very loud, making it difficult to sleep. We will definitely NOT stay here again. By the way, if you go during Stampede, do NOT take the train at night, take a cab. The train is overcrowded (with people fainting from the heat and smell) and a cab is just as inexpensive.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member