“Great location, Large Rooms”

International Hotel and Spa Calgary
Ranked #39 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here on business for one night. The location is great, situated right in the heart of downtown Calgary, with lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. The hotel is connected to the rest of downtown via series of overhead heated walkways called "+15s" which comes in very handy during the winter to help you get around without having to venture outdoors in the cold weather.

The check in was seamless, although I was surprised to discover that I had been given a room on the "all mens floor" and was curious to see what this entailed. Turns out not much, as all the rooms are same, the only difference is that on this floor, there was a complimentary bottle of beer in the fridge and magazines such as GQ and Car and Driver on the coffee table. Next time I'll ask for something on the "all womens floor" just to see the difference.

The standard room itself was great, a large one bedroom suite, with all the modern amenties including seperate tvs in the bedroom and living room. The bathroom was nothing special, but every part of suite was very clean, comfortable, with nice view of the city. Decor seems a little dated, but I would stay here again no question if I needed a downtown hotel room. The rates are outrageous, however, ($300 a night during the week!) but I understand this is the same throughout downtown during the week, so I am glad I wasn't footing the bill! I did not have time to check out the gym, restaurant etc, but would definitely recommend this place based on the large rooms and great location.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank shaaley

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I usually don't stay downtown as it is quite expensive and you have to deal with Calgary's one way streets to get around. I got a conference rate so the price wasn't too bad for downtown although $25 a day parking (preferred rate) really adds to the cost.
This hotel was built (my guess) in the 1970's as it seems a little dated. They have done their best to keep the hotel up to date but there are some things that you just can't change.
The room I had had a king size bed that was quite nice. The room was just enormous so if you are looking for lots of room this is the hotel for you. The room even had a six seat dinning room which seemed a bit much but ok. The room was kind of hot when I check in and I found the only way to cool it down was to open a patio door a little. The negative pressure in the room really allowed the cool air to stream in. AC would be a better option for the summer.
Even though room was big, the bathroom was really small (one of those things you can't really update).
I also found the room to have a lot of road noise even though I was on the 15th floor. Likely better(newer) quality windows/patio door would solve that (again, not an easy fix)
I tried the pool and hot tub. Pool was nice but the hot tub seemed more of a residential or older style as there hardly room for more than 2 adults.
I prefer the more modern suburban style hotels that offer a breakfast but if you have to stay downtown this hotel should meet your needs.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank travellfar
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the International on a Saturday night, a mini vacation in the middle of winter. The price was really attractive and even the parking charge was at a 'weekend' rate.

The hotel is tall,14 or more floors but not very wide so there are a relatively small number of rooms on any one level. It is, or was, a suite hotel but not the sort of suite that you would cook meals in. Our suite consisted of a very large room with a separate bedrooom. The main room had a long table with maybe 6 chairs. It would have functioned nicely for small business meetings during the week. At the side near the window there was a comfortable chair and sofa where one could read and enjoy the view. Well there really wasn't much of a view. We were on the south side of the 13th floor and what we looked out at were office buildings higher than we were. That gave it a strong downtown urban feel which was just fine with us.

Desk staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. We booked our roomon line so checking in was pretty straight forward.

One tip on parking. There is a ground level parking lot on the east side of the building that is farily cheap except that you can only paying until 6 the next morning and unless you want to get up at 6 and put more money in the machine to get another parking pass don't leave your car there. We had put some money in but the desk clerk told us what the cost of parking in the under cover hotel garage was (under $10 for the night) so we parked there. The next morning when we were walking over to Chinatown for dim sum a bunch of cars had been ticketed. We were glad we hadn't parked there.

One thing we really liked about the International is its downtown location. You can park your car at the hotel and walk to all sorts of restaurants and as mentioned above it is on the edge of Chinatown which is a very vibrant community in Calgary.

We had dinner on Saturday night at the Happy Valley restaurant which was about two blocks from the hotel. It billed itself as a Hong Kong style fast food restaurant. We had a great time and loved the atmosphere.

Back to the International Hotel. We will stay there again. Everything about the experience was positive. Its not the fanciest hotel in town but probably one of the best values for an adult weekend get away.

Room Tip: A room high up on the north side would look out toward the Chinese Cultural Centre and the river.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EsoxL
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have deleted my original review and replaced it with this one.

We had initial problems with the hotel and restaurant, which I wont dive into here. But lets say we were disappointed.

When I received an email asking for a review from the hotel, wrote them an honest review, pointing out there absolutely excellent points, and their sometimes terrible points.

I received a phone call a few days later from the manager of the hotel. He was the most pleasant man to speak with, completely apologetic to me, and assured me this was not how business should be done. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with him discussing good and bad points and what would be done to to improve what happened.

The other day I opened my post box to find a letter from the hotel in Calgary. In it was a business card and a voucher for one night bed and breakfast with parking and internet included. And a very nice email to follow from the manager to ring him when we want to book and he will take care of everything and spoil us rotten.

This was an amazing case of unexpected customer service, and shows, that yes, the reviews are correct that the hotel is lacking in some areas, but that they are trying their very best to make it one of the top hotels in Calgary.

Aslo, the bar man, and concierge were two of the most pleasant staff I have ever met in a hotel. The room is amazing. the views were spectacular. 2 plasma tv's and a kitchen, sofa and two arm chairs.

Honestly, I can't wait to give these guys a second shot, and see what they are really made of.

Also, on another note, there is an Indian restaurant next door we hope to try, it looks fantastic for buffet and is really well priced :)

Room Tip: Service is now 5* due to the care and attention of the manager
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wandering_Irish_Lad
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I found the spacious room very clean and made my trip very enjoyable. The staff are helpful and friendly, especially the servers in the cafeteria , she was so busy but still keeping her smile and politeness.

2  Thank kenlive
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed two nights with my son for a soccer tournament. The room was great - very spacious, modern and clean. The rate included breakfast in their basement restaurant and it was a super value. I ordered room service one evening and it too was very good. The kids from the soccer team enjoyed the pool and the coach even hosted a pizza party in his suite - it was so big. The only negative I had was the underground parking gave me two tickets by mistake. But the front desk took care of them with no hassle. Overall, would highly recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the elevators
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Two Trainees at front desk did a good job checking us in. Very nice, spacious, comfortable room; parking and breakfast included in very reasonable price. Very good location next to all major amenities. Good food at breakfast time, and very speedy check-out! We will return!

Room Tip: You can hear elevator noise for the rooms next to the elevators. This was the reason for "aver...