“Working Class”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 6, 2007

A quick review from a repeat visitor.

Stayed in a standard room on the sixth floor with a south facing balcony. The carpet in the hallway is stained and showing age. The room I had this time was not directly across from the elevators and hence larger than the last. The room could have used a sofa/armchair/desk. As it stands its an extremely basic bed in a room. I was missing small wash-cloths and a bar of soap for the tub. This was quickly remedied by asking the maid in the hall.

Air conditioning worked just fine. The phone/internet was not easily accessible. Wi-fi was available in the lobby. This was fine with me - though it would have been nice to have access on my balcony.

The pool is hit and miss with the sunshine alternating with shadows from the surrounding office towers. However it was warm and reasonably clean for an outdoor pool. A little annoying having to bring my own towels from the room to the pool area.

Facing the bank of elevators I suggest you always opt for the left one if possible. The right one has been lurching since I first stayed there in April. This time it got stuck between floors 3+4 for a disconcerting length of time.

I skipped the buffet after the last bad experience and ordered breakfast from the a la carte menu. The food was plentiful, well-priced for downtown and tasty. Cheers has redeemed itself.

Staff, as always, is extremely chipper.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo

Reviewed July 24, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for one night with a colleague. It's a very tired location that needs to be updated. Friendly staff as far as I was concerned, who were quite helpful, but my colleague found them unhelpful. Wireless Internet is supposed to be available in all rooms but we had no luck with it. We then got a run-around from the staff, who told us to call the provider, who referred us back to the hotel. Finally we were told that wireless wasn't available in our rooms, since they were too close to the elevator. Well, then you don't provide wireless Internet in all rooms, do you? Elevator was broken but no recognition of this as a problem was evident: the door opens and closes four or five times before the elevator will run, Even when staff were in the elevator they just shrugged and said "it's been like this for a while".

I can't stay here again, given the lack of Internet access. And at $200 a night, I expected much better.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed June 22, 2007

Staying at this hotel from May 30 to June 3, 2007, was a horrible experience.

When I arrived from the Rocky Mountaineer train, check-in personnel were slow and confused about my reservation and luggage.

During my entire four-day stay there was NO AIR CONDITIONING in room 324. The hotel provided a fan -- big deal! Now we had moving hot air. I reserved a room, not a sauna. Other rooms in this fully-booked hotel also were without air conditioning and staff spent much time delivering fans throughout the hotel. If you can bring fans, you can fix the air conditioning.

Room 324 is on the "Executive Floor" yet there is no desk, just a square table and no internet hook-up in the room. How can this qualify as a business environment?

The walls, the carpet, the tile, the furniture, the curtains -- everything was in shades of beige and brown.

Altogether, this was a crappy room in a lousy hotel. As a result of my experience, I am recommending that no other person in my organization stay there.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank xygb7dklt
Reviewed May 22, 2007

I reserved a room at the Ramada for a trip that my boyfriend and I were taking to Calgary. I used a coupon that I had in the Student Union Ticket Pack. It was for the "romance" package, including jacuzzi room, champagne, parking and breakfast. Room was very nice and big, champagne was cheap and awful. At breakfast the next morning we assumed everything was included. We were wrong. Our breakfast was only suppose to be the cold section (cereals, muffins, etc), but no one told us that or quesitoned us as we went to sit down. It was only after we had eaten and went to leave our breakfast tickets that we were told that no, we didn't qualify for the hot part. They need to tell you this at the beginning of breakfast, so check with the staff before eating.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stubborn
Reviewed April 1, 2007

The only thing that we didn't like was the parking. True, it was heated underground parking. But everytime we needed to go out, we had to call them 5 - 10 minutes in advance so they could park our car by the elevator in the parkade. It was a bit of a hassle, especially when everybody else were going to get their cars at peak times. There'd be a line up of cars. Charged us $8 for guest parking service.

The lobby was big. Room was nice and clean. Room service was pleasant - steak and caesar salad were very good.

But saw some bums when we walked by outside the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank teresakaka
Reviewed February 22, 2007

On arrival at The Ramada we were greeted by extremely friendly reception staff who couldn't do enough to assist you: so typical of Canadians!
The hotel is in an excellent location with trendy bars and shops only a five minute stroll away, also C train stop is around the corner.
Dining at the Ramada is fabulous, breakfast is very good value for money and the staff will serve you almost anything. The Alberta is well worth trying!
Food at the Fox Inn is outstanding and vegetarians are well catered for, Keiths pale ale is wonderful and the atmosphere within the bar is so friendly!
Our room was fantastic, it was immaculate and we couldn't have wished for anything more, we will certainly be returning as soon a possible!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mike&juNorthWales
Reviewed November 6, 2006

Stayed one night as part of the Rockies Mountaineer Red Leaf train trip. Room was very old & shabby. Carpet was lifting off the floor. Bathroom was very old & tired. Lifts were very slow.
This hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment. I would not recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple