“Clean but nothing special”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #81 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
San Jose, CA
“Clean but nothing special”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I stayed at the Ramada for a few nights in May. Overall the visit was fine, but nothing particular to recommend about it.

The Good: Room was large and clean. Free internet. Room Service. Central to downtown and my company's office. Some staff were very friendly (Al from the bell desk). Bed was comfortable. Large flat screen tv.

The Bad: Room needed updating. Tiles from the jacuzzi tub (in the room) were missing, lightbulbs were out, and one bedside lamp didn't work. Wireless internet was a joke; I could never get a signal above fair and it cut out on me completely while I was working one evening (tried for an hour to get back on but no luck). Jacuzzi tub in neighboring room was extremely noisy; very loud when water was running and it sounded like a roaring waterfall in the walls when the tub drained. Shower and toilet room were super tiny; shower felt like an RV shower; could not tilt the shower head so water would stay inside - it pointed straight out the door, which meant huge puddles on the floor when turning it on. No counterspace at the sink. Front desk staff weren't particularly friendly; when I checked out, I stood there for at least a minute, no one else was in line, two desk staff were looking at the computer and never once looked up or said hi or acknowledged me (the bell desk gentleman took care of me though).

One other odd thing: I ordered room service the first morning I was there and wasn't able to touch it due to some work emergencies; I figured housekeeping would take it away, but it was still there when I got back that night. I left it again the next morning and what do you know - it was STILL there on the second day. So basically I had a cold breakfast sitting in my room for two whole days, yuck. I know I could have put it in the hallway, and it might have been two different cleaners who didn't know the food was old, but it just struck me as strange.

I will probably stay here again due to proximity of the hotel to the places I need to visit in Calgary, but it would not be my first choice. It's liveable for a couple days though.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank pvg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alberta
Reviewed May 20, 2010

This hotel was a good price, and the rooms looked great, except the staff was not very friendly at all. The front desk was rude and very un-welcoming. They made us feel like we were not wanted there, and we got diry looks everytime we went to the lobby. The rooms were small (standard), and the bathroom was TINY! I found blood on one of the beds which was a big turn off and no one seemed to do anything about it. I would not recommend this hotel to travelers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlbertaAnonymous

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I stayed at the Ramada Downtown for a confrence in March. I hadn't been to Calgary for over 20 years so it was an adventure for me. When we checked in the desk staff were friendly and accomodating. My room was on the business class floor, I found the room to be serviceable and clean. Although I did not spend a lot of time in the guest room, I did appreciate the turn down service I recieved and the guest supplies were always replenished. I had a balconey in my room and a large flat screen TV. The hotel may be a little dated but the staff more than made up for the decor. The food in the banquets area was stellar. There is a lounge in the hotel that seems to get the most traffic after work and then tapers off later in the evening, I was there for St. Patricks day so all the little pubs in the area were a'rockin. If I had only stayed for one night and had minimal contact with the staff I may have felt diffrently about my stay but getting to know the people, experiencing the food (yum) and becoming familair with the area added to the entire adventure. The pool was closed at the time as it is on the roof.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank turtle067
Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Centrally located. The meeting I was attending was in the hotel so that was great. It was very noisy. My room had no view, just the roof. You could hear everything going on outside very clearly even though I was on the fourth floor. Unfortunately my room was across from the elevator AND ice machine. Every person that came up the elevator as heard. The inside walls were paper thin as well.
The room and hallways were also very dated looking. It looked as though an amateur had been at work painting. Bad bad paint ob everywhere. The doors were especially bad.
Good things were the staff. Everyone I spoke to were very very friendly. They all made sure any question I had was answered.
With some renos this could be a good stay.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Nostay
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Used to stay in this hotel more regularly about 5 years ago. Returned because of location.

The staff were friendly and welcoming.
Having underground, heated parking is a nice feature in January.

The food was OK, nothing bad, nothing overly memorable - not the best value for the money.

The hotel room was a decent size, had newer beds, and had a an upgraded television.

The entire hotel looks 'tired', and really needs a remodel. I experienced some deja-vu when on the conference floor. Their facilities are of a good size and the staff was very helpful, but everything was the same - wallpaper, carpet, fixtures, etc.

Internet was free - worked very well in the conference area, had some problems with consistency and speed in my hotel room

I would stay here again because of price, location, and the staff.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank lone_palm
Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Stayed at the Ramada Downtown for a business trip (4 nights) with some colleagues. The hotel is in a good location as we were attending meetings at Bankers Hall, but that was pretty much the only excellent part of the stay. Check in was slow and the staff were confused. The rooms were a decent size, but dated and the beds were uncomfortable. No problem with noise. We did not eat at the restaurant in the lobby so I cannot comment on that. We visited the bar in the lobby one evening for some drinks and found it to be pretty shady. Luckily there are many restaurants/lounges/bars nearby. The biggest issue with the stay was when I left a package at the front desk for a relative to pick up. They visited the hotel twice and called several times but the package was no where to be found. Luckily it didn't have a great monetary value, but it was very disapointing that it somehow got misplaced by the staff (who weren't apologetic). The price was also high considering the quality of this hotel. I would not stay at this hotel again if I visited Calgary.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Habscouple
Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Upon booking the hotel they said they offered parking, albeit valet parking, but when I arrived they said the parking was full...so I had to park 2 blocks away in a parkade, not a pleasant surprise in winter (Note to staff: if there is limited parking they should state so up front so I could have stayed elsewhere). I had a corner room which had a shared second outside privacy door, but the problem was if you or your neighbour closed it upon exit you could not get back in as there was no key hole nor any way to unlock it from the inside, so one had to go down to the front desk for assistance, again not a pleasant experience and a safety hazard with small children. The duvet on the bed was heavy and loaded with large matted clumps of goose down and large spaces with no down and I was surprised why this wasn't thrown in the garbage long ago...it was so bad I had to throw it on the floor to get a good nights sleep. My unit was also not insulated from outside noise even though I was on the 8th floor...I could hear car doors slamming and all the traffic below...the patio door or the windows appeared to be poorly soundproofed. The bed was hard, but if you like hard beds, it was fine. Otherwise the room was spacious and reasonably well appointed for a business traveler and the elevators were reasonably fast. The Taxi's occupy most of the spots out front so trying to temporarily park to unload your gear can be challenging. It is also on a one way street so if you miss it you have to circle around several blocks around the construction to get back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business