“A comfort stay”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I spent one night in Ramada myself. It's safe, quiet and the room I stayed was clean but a little bit cold, the location is great with lots of amenities within walking distance. The food was pricy but overall it's a moderate stay, I mean I had a tight budget and couldn't afford those 300 per night. But if you do require a Super high quality then go and pay for it : )

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Rulukaka

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed in the Ramada Downtown in Calgary for 9 nights from 18th December to 27th December. The hotel was OK but a little less than we expected. We were in Calgary for my sons wedding and chose the Ramada due to its location to the center of town. Room was adequate and clean although a little dated, front office staff were intermittently helpful depending who was on the desk. When we tried to extend by one night we had to have the same conversation three times with different staff which was frustrating and even then they told us we were checking out a day before we were.

We requested an extra fold-away bed for one night which we didn't use but the hotel tried to charge us for the bed for the full length of the stay. After some discussion and our insistence we did not pay for the extra unused bed.

Wasn't happy with the non-existent dining facilities over the Xmas period. We understand that it was Christmas but it would have been helpful if we were told there would be no facilities available when we booked. Car park was convenient and parking attendant very obliging.

Restaurant was a bit ordinary and expensive for what the food was. Hotel has a laundry which was good and cleaning staff helpful.

The lifts were not in good condition and often when the lift buttons were pressed the doors would close but the lift would not go anywhere.

I would look for another hotel when next I visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Ramada
1  Thank Winnipeg2Sun
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed for two nights. Room was dank and dusty. On my first night, I found hair on the bathroom counter (like someone cut their hair - that's how much hair there was). It was't cleaned the following day. The bath tub won't drain and shower wasn't working. It gross trying to shower and water wasn't draining the way it should. On my second night, the heater vents were making noise like someone's banging on the window sill - it woke me up at midnight. I called the front desk who sent in someone to crank up the heat - this is supposed to get rid of condensation in the pipes. It can be returned to "normal" setting after 10 minutes. It didn't. And I did not sleep all night. I packed my bags and checked out at 5:a.m. and drove through the storm - to home. I understand I didn't pay for a 5 star hotel but clean and comfortable should at least come with the price. I still left a tip because the staff were friendly - just not sure about management.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 2, 2014

There is nothing special about this hotel. Breakfast is too costly and ordinary food. The bar is not encouraging. Although I stayed at the executive suites, the service was pretty ordinary. Sleep was disturbed by talking of the people next door. Lifts are not maintained well and often there are delays. Fitness room is fitted with old equipments and not properly maintained.
The surrounding area gets really bad during nights, with various types of people moving around. There is no proper coffee shop, apart for Tim Hortons bit far away. Nearby Irish pub has a option for a nice dinner.
Plus 18 pathway and LRT stations through are nearby. It's also walking distance to downtown malls like TD square and others.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here for a whole week. Check in was at 3pm but they were able to check me in around 1pm which was great. I stayed at room 803 which has a balcony and faces 8th Avenue. Room was ok, nothing fancy but at least wasn't falling apart (as some pictures I have seen here). The restaurant at the Hotel seemed iffy, but I can't comment as I decided not to take a chance eating there. I don't usually get room service, but the few interactions I had with the housekeeping staff were very pleasant. Very noisy location (due to construction) and paper thin walls... I could hear the next door guest coughing as if we were sitting beside each other. Great location smack dab in the downtown core... Some nice restaurants around the area and pretty close to Stephen Avenue.