“There are better options available in Calgary”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The upside to this hotel is the quality of the staff at the front desk and the parking garage. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help. However, the rest of my hotel experience was not so great. The rooms are very depressing and need to be updated. Breakfast was very bland, not anything to get excited about. I was also disappointed to find out I wasn’t able to collect points because I didn’t have the proper room rate, which would have been fine, but wasn’t clearly indicated when I booked. You can definitely find something better in Calgary in a similar price range.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had originally booked a hostel for this one night stay, but unfortunately it had to close due to the flooding.
We stayed at this hotel after a very long flight. The area where the hotel is was a little bit strange and desolate. We struggled to find anywhere to eat, and after walking around in the dark decided to go back to the hotel. We spotted a bar just beside the hotel so went in for food and a drink before getting to sleep. I have to say the service in The Red Fox was very good, the waitress was giving us some handy travelling tips and directions on how to get to The Greyhound station the next day. I found the staff on the front desk of the hotel when we arrived a little aloof, but when we checked out the next morning the gentleman was very smily. The room was very clean and warm.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Ramada downtown is a very dated hotel. It has probably not been updated in many years which has caused all the upholstery to become faded and dirty. I was shocked to see that the gray curtains in our room were actually green and red at some point based on the picture gallery from the website.

We had a standard double room which was very small with barely any room between the bed and the TV for one person to walk through. The sandman hotel at the other end of the block has bigger rooms(we stayed at Sandman for a night in this trip)! Since we were staying for a few nights we asked for a fridge and a microwave which was promptly provided however the microwave had such little power that we had to warm everything 3 or 4 times over!!

On our first morning we decided to try the breakfast in the hotel since we did not have a lot of time. I cannot stress enough that the food was absolutely horrible. Hot breakfast at $15 has a bunch of greasy items and the worst coffee ever. What's more they even don't offer you milk or cream, one has to make do with non dairy creamer pouch.

When my husband & I complained about the noisy neighbors during the past 2 nights at the front desk, he asked if we had made any complaints at the night for which I answered yes. He just kept staring at us and after a few seconds mentioned that he cannot offer any 'discounts' for the inconvenience caused. Little did he realize that we were not looking for discounts but only a little sympathy for the inconvenience.

I would say the only real advantage of this hotel is the location. If I was visiting Calgary again I would definitely stay somewhere else. This is the worst Ramada ever.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at the Ramada downtown hotel, rooms where very clean, a bit on the small side, but that is fine. Service at front desk was good and the lounge and restaraunt also had good service. It is about an extra 5-10 minutes of walking to get down to the business core of Calgary compared to some other hotels, but those hotels you pay way too much for the location. I did not make it to the pool or spa areas.
I would recommend the Ramada downtown as the very good place to stay for anyone doing a business trip to Calgary.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Good location for downtown activities. Parking was $10.50 for the night in the underground valet parking. Nice option to have rather than parking on the busy street overnight. Check in was not very customer service oriented. No information about the area was offered, and no questions asked about us and where we are from etc to see if we might need any help getting around or maybe a restaurant recommendation. I used my Wyndam reward points earned at Ramada hotels to book an Executive King room and for a downtown hotel was very disappointed in the size and quality of the room. 30000 points I used for a room that had a bathroom that was dirty and from the 70's. The size of the room was very small. I had to go to the front desk and ask if there was a mistake in the booking. After expressing my displeasure and the fact I have lived in 2 different Ramada hotels for work the last 2 years I was offered another room of better quality (not happily though) For 30000 points I expected a much nicer room. (Little fact, you accumulate 10 points for every dollar spent). Overnight downtown noise was typical, people yelling and loud vehicles however, I would expect maybe some soundproof glass to offer a better experience. Overall not a terrible hotel, I would just choose a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: Top floor would be furthest from street level noise but wont guarantee a good quiet sleep. Take ear...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Manager_YYC, Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Warren R,
Thank you for your comments. Read with interest your claim that 30000 points yielded you a room night at the Ramada Hotel. We are researching this as a Wyndham Rewards free stay is available with as low as 5500 points, typically very possible to earn a night after only e.g. 4 nights stayed and an excellent reason to be a member in this free loyalty program. We are glad you felt the location of the hotel was convenient and the weekend valet parking, an attractive feature. In terms of room size, there is not a large variance from room to room but larger rooms are the corner rooms, and those on either side of the elevator. On request, we will specifically allocate one of those rooms unless the hotel is at sold-out status and an option to do so is unavailable. Our bathrooms are not from the 70s but they are normally clean and we apologize you encountered anything less as a guest of our hotel. Your comment has been shared with our housekeeping department and you are invited to contact us directly with further detail, if this had not been addressed with our personnel before your check-out. Regret also to learn that our Front Desk did not convey more interest and share information on your arrival. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as we in turn bring it to theirs.

Please feel welcome to contact the General Manager or Operations Manager if you would like to further discuss your stay. We are sorry we did not deliver on the type of guest experience we normally help to create but thank you for choosing the Ramada in your travels.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 29, 2013

The only positive comment I have is that the staff were friendly and courteous, with the exception of management. This is hotel is old, run down,dirty, and depressing. My room on the 5th floor was non-smoking but smelled like smoke. No perks, not even in- room coffee at a "special" rate of 149.99/night. But the worst was no hot water in the shower! When I mentioned it to the front desk manager and asked for compensation, I was told that I should have called down so maintenance could have come to take a look. Yeah, right - like I had the time for that as I was getting ready to check out and on my way to a business meeting. And as if I would make it up just to get a refund.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lady Monarch,
Thank you for taking the time to share your guest experience with us. Our property is an older, mid-tier full service hotel typically favored for location, friendly service, clean rooms and value. Our competitive room rates allow individuals to stay in the center of Calgary who might otherwise need to stay out of downtown due to personal or business allotted budgets. Our sold-out status on most Mon-Thu supports this. That said, we are sorry to hear you felt $149.00 was high for a one night stay and that coffee/tea service was not in-room. It is a Ramada brand standard to have in-room coffee/tea and we hope you contacted our Front Desk about this matter. Please note that we have moved from coffee pots to single unit dispensing machines and 2 packets of coffee and tea plus whitener and sugar packs is standard and replenished for free every day. Another well liked benefit is free wireless Internet or ipod radio. It is unusual to have a problem with hot water (reported once last year) but front desk personnel and managers should be very interested to learn this information to see how we might still assist you/and to ensure the problem was confined to 1 room only. In terms of in-room smoking, the Ramada Downtown is a completely smoke-free hotel. All guest room carpeting was replaced following our change to smoke-free status and our only guess – that a guest nearby was dishonoring our house rules. We apologize for the related inconvenience. We are sorry we did not satisfy your stay expectations but do thank you for this opportunity to address your feedback. Thank you also for choosing the Ramada.
Best regards,

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Tired older hotel on the fringe of downtown and had a few issues. Checked in at 6pm, on a Wednesday, came back downstairs to restaurant for Dinner at 7:45 and restaurant in darkness, closed !!! Also had some issue with their 90% policy of currency exchange from USD to Can$, pretty steep. Overall property has seen much better days, but was still functional although not inexpensive for what one received.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business