“Another very comfortable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #82 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Estevan, Canada
“Another very comfortable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed at the Ramada in Downtown Calgary again on Tusday November 16th, and Wednesday November 17th. Mylene, Leslyn, and all the staff at the front desk were very friendly and welcoming, as is the entire staff at this hotel. I tried the Jacuzzi suite this stay, and would recommend it to anyone!! Great Room!! Very Roomy, and very nice tub! I will stay at the Ramada Downtown again for sure!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Pincher Creek, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I’ve been staying at this hotel regularly for almost a year now. I posted a review after a couple months, but figured I’d post another now for an update.
As was the case when I first wrote, mostly all the hotel staff are super nice and attentive. As I’ve been a regular customer for a while now most folks have gotten to know my name and a few even my voice when I call to make a reservation. When someone new starts they learn my name quickly and sometimes know my name the first time we meet. It’s something small I know, but in a time of generally poor customer service, it’s those little things that go along way and speak volumes to the value this hotel actually does put on quality service.
At this point I have stayed in at least a few rooms on every floor. Although I usually stay in the rooms with 2 double beds, I have stayed in queens and kings. I quickly browsed a few of the reviews others have posted about outdated rooms, but that has honestly not been my experience. As far as I can see, the last series of renovations is now complete and most of the rooms have been re-done. A few seem to have not been hit this time around, but must have been on the last round because even those rooms that are not new and shinny are extremely comfortable, clean, and in perfect working order. More importantly, in all my times staying here I’ve notice the beds and bedding is great. The mattresses are firm and don’t sag or slant; the pillows are fluffy and numerous (4 per double bed which is really nice); and even the covers are cleaned and pressed fresh for my visits (not just the sheets, but the actual covers folks).
True the parking lot is small, but I’ve only once not been able to get a spot and that was on an early check. That said I came back later and one was held for me.
In comparison to other hotels in the downtown core area I would rank Ramada 2nd overall, and 1st in its class. It falls below the Westin, but if you’re planning to stay there you’re probably also not looking at the Ramada. That said, this particular Ramada offers many of the same services (if you stay on an Executive floor) for a substantially reduced cost. But compared to the others in its class (Sandman on 7th, Best Western Suites on 14th, or the Delta out of town), it’s far far nicer for around $75 less per night.
Oh, yeah, one final note: if you’re looking for an extra big room, request one at the very end of the hallways – i.e., one where the doorway is on an east or west face of the hallway ends. Those ones are the biggest. The smallest rooms are those at the ends of hallways with a door on the north or south walls.

Room Tip: See main review.
2 Thank tigner
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I live on the road 350 days out of the year, "You can't read a book by its cover" certainly applies to this old hotel. The outside may look a little dated but the rooms are quiet and comfortable. The staff I dealt with were great, very polite and helpful. This week rooms were tight in Calgary & I could only book a room for two days & Mylene went above & beyond to get me into a new room from the rest of my week in town. I will defiantly be back!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Hotel staff was friendly and made awesome recommendations for dinner (Escoba). Location was great. Room was nice - clean.

1 Thank Houstonian2011
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

"You can't read a book by its cover" certainly applies to this old hotel. The outside may look a little dated but the rooms are quiet and comfortable. The staff I dealt with were not rude at all, very polite and helpful. I will stay here again when I'm back in Calgary in December. I gave "breakfast" an average mark as it is not included in the price of the room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AuditMan001
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

I travel about 4 times a year on business to Calgary and my regular hotels were booked. I decided to stay at the Ramada Hotel Downtown Calgary. The experience was amazing! We arrived really early and the hotel manager had checked us in and went out of her way to make sure we got a room even though check in was not until 3pm. She was really nice and pleasant to deal with with. She made us feel like we were at home and treated us like we were part of the ramada family. The staff very pleasant and always greeting us with hello, how are you, do you need anything and etc. Very nice experience and will be staying with staff on a regular basis due to the staff. Other things that we enjoyed very clean, work out area, swimming pool, location location location and very comfortable beds. Thanks again for the great experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BoToronto
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

I just recently stayed at the Ramada Hotel in Downtown Calgary. It was a last minute booking due to my choice to be spontaneous and decide where to go on a whim. At about $100 a night I expected more. It was obvious the hotel room was old. The vents made constant noises, not only making it's own but also noises of people's conversations from neighbouring rooms. Adjusting the temperature was difficult and the device out dated. When I asked one of the receptionists for directions, he simply pointed and when I asked for more detailed directions he simply looked at me like I was an idiot and gave me attitude as he circled places on the map. After he was done explaining he simply just looked back down at his screen. Also, when it came time to check out and I was waiting in the lobby for my transportation to the airport, three of the receptionists were discussing sexual positions loud enough for me to hear... very inappropriate and uncomfortable. The most helpful person was actually the girl working at the convenience store connected to the hotel. Thank goodness for her otherwise i wouldn't have figured out the bus! The only good features of the hotel were the bedding and the location... right downtown and a decent walk from a number of places.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank techao
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Thanks you for your constructive comments. We pride ourselves in customer service and attention to detail and your observations and comments will be mentioned to our staff. The hotel is currently upgrading all the rooms with carpet, new beds, furniture and bedding which will enhance everyone’s hotel experience. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you that the service you received is not the norm at our property.

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels