“OK rooms, showing it's age, but restaurant service is terrible.”

Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Red Deer, Canada
“OK rooms, showing it's age, but restaurant service is terrible.”
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I stayed one night at the downtown Ramada Calgary. My first time at the hotel, and I don't think I'll be running back. I'm OK with the older somewhat dated rooms as they are clean and comfortable for one. The room was very hot, even with a window open and the thermostat turned all the way down.
The biggest disappointment was the staff levels in the restaurant. In the evening I wanted a quick bite so I could go back up and watch the hockey game. There were 7 other guests in the restaurant, and two staff. I am not exagerrating when I say I sat for 10 minutes without a visit from either staff. I left, when down the street to a pub and ate pub food and watched the game. In the morning, one staff in the restaurant and it was packed! The poor lady was doing all she could and was extremely cheerful despite being left all alone to manage 30 -40 guests. No excuses, get the manager out of the office to help when it's busy!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank RDTravelGuy
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Thank you for your comments. It is reasonable to expect better service. I will discuss with my managers and staff and would appreciate if you would contact me personally with dates of your stay so we are able to better address. We appreciate your feedback.

gm@ramadacalgary.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Very disappointing from check in on - we were on the executive floor which they say has been renovated - new furniture and carpets but everything else is falling apart, the bathroom tiles are cracked, the tub surround is old, the hallways are dim, on a sat night it was kinda of a scary place... save your $$

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank scat21
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for our comments. While we will not be redoing the bathrooms in this year, we strive always to keep them and all areas of the hotel in good repair.The design element of the existing tile is that it look distressed and we assure you no repair is necessary. The hotel is indeed in the midst of replacing all guest room carpets, upgrading mattresses to pillow-tops and replacing furniture and we are delighted the feedback has overwhelmingly been good. We value your comments. Thank you.

F Stewart

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2011

The Dive Calgary Sports Society held thier Gala and fun money casino in the Grand Ball Room at the Ramada Hotel Downtown Calgary on Saturday, April 16. The evening was a great success thanks to the professionalism of Food and Beverager Manger David Thompson, Catering coordinator Alison Priddle and Chef Gary Cooper. The Grand Ball room was a super venue for 150 guests in a market style setting with blackjack, roulette and Texas Holdem. Chef Cooper and his staff did a fantastic job with salmon, carved Alberta Beef and Spolumbo Sliders. Thanks to the Ramada Downtown Calgary, The Dive Calgary Sports Society was able to raise close to $20,000.00 for our club!
Thanks Ramada!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Jocko77
England
Reviewed April 14, 2011

The Ramada hotel in Downtown Calgary is in a very convenient location (a minute from the C-train line, 5 minutes walking to Stephen Avenue etc) but beyond it's location there is nothing to recommend it. We stayed for a week on business and were extremely disappointed by the hotel' appointments, or Lack there of. We stayed on the "executive" floor and there is a desk in the room but a terrible lack of plug-inns. I had to re-arrange the furniture and sacrifice lighting: unplugging the lamps so that out laptops could be plugged in. The room was unbearably hot (we barely slept the first night) but did improve once we aquired a working fan from the maintenance staff. The rooms would really benefit from the provision of small fridges.
The elevators are extremely slow/ not-working much of the time (we twice had to take the service elevator to our 7th floor room). The parkade (valet only which becomes irritating if you have to wait 15 minutes while the staff rescue your car from being triple-parked) is accessed by a trecherously steep curving ramp. One evening when we returned to the hotel having checked out the car that afternoon and clearly stated that we would be returning, the automatic door wouldn't open and we were stuck waiting on the perilous slope with the e-brake on while the valet staff sorted out the mix-up and let us into the parkade. The exerise room (very small, pool is only outdoors and only open in the summer) is RIDICULOUSLY located NEXT TO the conference rooms! This resulted in me embarrasingly appearing in the hallway in my sweaty work-out clothes while business people at a conference tried to enjoy their refreshments in the conference lobby. I felt very rude appearing thus attired but there was no way to avoid this encounter.
The biggest problem by far with this hotel is the staff. Half of the staff is lovely: the valets, the house keepers, and SOME of the front desk personel, one of whom obligingly escorted me to my room in the service elevator when the guest elevators broke down. But there are many staff members who seem completely disinterested with their jobs/hostile towards guests. When the parkade incident happened, the front desk told my colleague: "the parkade is full, park here (handed him a map) two blocks away" This of course was not the case and the lovely valets sorted it out. In one of the incidents in which the elevators stopped working, we turned to the front desk and said "excuse us but the elevators are not working." The reponse was "yes, they are broken" and then she stood there looking at us, offering no suggestions as to how we might therefore get to our rooms since there is no access to the stairs. The manager did eventurally appear to show us the service elevator but the incident left us wondering why some of the staff works in the hospitality industry if they have so little interest in providing hospital service to guests.
We thank the lovely, helpful, and obliging staff members and wonder if the others might consider alternate career options.
In conclusion, do not stay at this hotel if you can stay anywhere else, it is not worth the fuss and discomfort.

3 Thank CNDreviews
Manager7836, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Calgary Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Ramada. Your detailed account of you recent stay is highly valued and helps us to improve in our daily delivery of services.

We are glad that you found some staff lovely, helpful and obliging but regret this was not the prevailing feeling on your departure as a guest of our hotel. Customer care is paramount and we deeply regret in your experience – that only some staff gave 100%. Power bars are available at the Front Desk on a request basis and as a result of your comment will now be placed in-room as is the room standard with oscillating fans. An in-room fan is provided to offer immediate relief when we experience dramatic outdoor temperature changes and we are pleased our maintenance department was able to set you up quickly. The hotel has a seasonally open Outdoor Pool, listed in all print collateral, which is operational from late May through September and a Fitness Room available 24/7 located 14 feet from the public elevator. The appointment and size of our fitness room have not been cited as problematic in terms of personal privacy or for meeting the needs of a property our size but a large tradeshow in the immediate area, did bring fitness room users in closer proximity to conference clients during 2 days in this month past. It was during the same days that we had experienced an especially busy period in all areas of the hotel and we apologize for the elevators being slowed and delays in the parkade as the valet tended to volume client arrivals and departures.

We regret any one occasion when a guest stay does not live up to our client’s expectation and have shared your feedback with all management and staff.

We appreciate you choosing the Ramada, for being our guest and for taking the time to write us.

Taber, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I've been traveling to Calgary for business for about 5 years now. I have found the Ramada to be my favorite place to stay! The rooms are clean and very comfortable, location is great and the staff there makes it even better! I would have a hard time staying anywhere else. I just stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms on my last trip and it was really nice! I look forward to staying there my next trip into Calgary!!!!

2 Thank oiltraveler
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I have stayed at the Ramada Downtown over the last 2 years due to its proximity to my company's head office. I recently got to stay in one of their newly renovated rooms. The decor has been updated, they use energy saving light bulbs and new bathroom fixtures. The updated rooms are a big improvement over the older rooms.

2 Thank StAlbertBob
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I've spent , at times, up to three weeks a month at this hotel on business. I tried another hotel in downtown Calgary during one of my trips, but came back to the Ramada on the following trip.

The staff is excellent and very accomodating! A big "Thank you" to the staff. Everyone at the front desk including Mylene, Leslyn, Jen and Lindy are great! Everyone is very helpful.

The location of the hotel is perfect for business. The on premise restaurant, lounge and room service are definately welcomed during travel. The hotel even has onsite conference rooms, business center and a print shop on the first floor.

1 Thank oilgasservice