“Average hotel”

Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #88 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel faces the airport and a busy highway so both sides are very noisy. Average rooms, average shower, horrible beds! We were told they were replacing these beds last year when they were the Radisson, but they still have these dial-a-number beds that leak. When we checked in, there were dishes left on trays in the hallway (3 pm Friday). At 1 pm Saturday, same dishes still sitting there Convention facilities are nice, need more frequent checks of the restrooms - yuck! Front desk staff is understanding, but needs more cooperation from other staff.

1  Thank MaryAnn D
Jason S, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. Our hotel is currently under new ownership and they have plans to have the hotel fully renovated within the next 18 months which will definitely make a difference to the comfort and quality of our hotel. I apologize that you did not enjoy the bed in your room. A lot of our rooms have the Sleep Number beds however we have a large number of rooms without them. Should you decide to stay with us again please request that you do not have a Sleep Number bed to see if that suits your comfort level. We appreciate your business here at The Clarion and hope to see you in the near future.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Booked a family room. I was a very good size. Had plenty of room for everyone. We faced 16 Ave. It is really very noisy from traffic on the sixth floor. The do not offer a breakfast with the room. There is a restaurant on site. The check out is noon, which is nice if you wish to sleep in. I would just like to say when you are booked for 4 people, please leave coffee and all else for 4 people. We hate having to ask for extra to be delivered, or chasing down housekeeping for more.
Would we stay again.......yes probably.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alberta travel view

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our family suite. Having sufficient supplies in your room based on the number of people per room is something that can definitely make your stay more accommodating and it is a suggestion that we will pass on to our Housekeeping staff, we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. Thank you for deciding to stay with us here at The Clarion and we hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Formerly the Crossroads, this Inn is billed as an airport hotel, but it is a good distance from the airport. In the days when Barlow Trail was a route to the airport it was relatively convenient; however with that access route now closed it is hard to see how it can be billed as an airport hotel (except for the much appreciated free shuttle). With a car one could get around Calgary but on foot there was nowhere to go but the Denny's across the road.

Although the lobby looks pleasant the rooms are disappointing. The surface was patchy in the bath, and the general decor was tired and in need of refreshing. There was no fridge etc as advertised ("in some rooms", I noticed later). I had a good view but the hotel is right by a major route and the traffic noise started very early.

A pleasant surprise was the dining room, where the breakfast and lunch options were wholesome and very tasty. The staff in general were efficient and friendly.

The main convention room we used was above the dining room, and there appeared to be no access other than by climbing two flights of stairs. I didn't inquire but one wonders about accessibility for those with mobility problems. The dining room itself was up a short flight of stairs.

1  Thank Trakette

Thank you very much for your feedback. We want to apologize for the inconvenience that our loacation in the city may have caused during your stay. Our hotel was formerly billed as an Airport hotel however with recent rebranding and new ownership we have taken that bill off of our name due to this fact. The online sites however have not updated fully which is deceiving for first time guests as well so again we would like to apologize.
The Skyline room, the room in which you attended your meeting does in fact have other means of access other than the stairs which is via a staff elevator that is used in the case of persons that have difficulties with mobility. We want to apologize for any information that was not relayed to you during your stay and should you decide to stay with us again we will be more than happy to answer any additional questions or address any other concerns you may have.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I booked one night here and it was awful! The check-in was fast and efficient (I was checked in by the manager Karan), which was great; however, when I went to get a shower, I realized the hot water tap was jammed shut. I called downstairs twice to have someone fix but nobody came over a period of 45 minutes. I finally had to go to the desk around 1030 and confront the same female clerk that I'd spoken to twice on the phone. She was less than helpful and refused to make eye contact with me. I'd even asked her if I could switch rooms and she said no because they were full. Terrible...except she asked the other clerk, Nick, to try to fix my tap. To be clear, I was very ticked but Nick was friendly and professional. He came to my room but was unable to open the tap and successfully moved me to a new room 5 minutes after his colleague said that wasn't possible. I spoke to the manager who was really good about listening to my concerns, which were: the service from the female clerk and the tub (it seemed to me that either their cleaning staff jammed the tap to stop it from leaking, which didn't work, or they couldn't have cleaned the tub after its last use because you can't clean it without hot water, and the tub was stained blue under the faucet - back to the cleanliness comment....). I didn't get into my new room until after 11 but it had a functioning shower; however, the bathroom had several strands of hair that wasn't mine - gross!

I will say that Karan (who also discounted my room) and Nick were great, and the presentation of their in-room breakfast was also great; however, the cleanliness was a BIG issue! I would NOT go back - - overall it was very frustrating...

2  Thank moonchild411

Thank you very much for your feedback. We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We take all our feedback very seriousy so that we can work on preventing these issues from happening in the future. Our hotel is currently under new ownership and they have plans to have our property fully renovated within the next 18 months. Should you choose to stay with us again after this period of time as we greatly appreciate your buisness, we will strive to make your stay a much better one.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Glad that i stayed with Clarion Hotel at calgary, it was very nice and personal experience for me to stay here. Everyone is polite and courteous at the front desk, i was checked in by Prateek and he is very generous and kind individuality, no doubt he have a good sense of humour, he accommodated me with asking every detail regards to my trip i.e what side of the property i want to face north or south, what kind of bed im looking for and all other things i need to know about the hotel, not only this he asked me if i want to go out for dinner and he can book a reservation for me and will call a cab if needed too, which was touching. He seems he have good knowledge in this industry and thats why he knows a lot and can read guests too. Ask him places to see and he comes around the desk with a city map to tell what all the things to do in city or places to see around and how to commute.He loves his job and you can see that on his face.
Restaurant people are friendly too and i myself would like to add if you can fix the piano and have somebody to play that for christmas and people in lounge can have dinner and enjoy drinks while watching someone play will add some stars.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank El M

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is always great to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us at The Clarion. We appreciate any suggestions you make regarding how we can make your stay more enjoyable. We hope that we will see you at our property again in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Clarion Hotel and Conference Centre was a great place to spend our first night in Calgary. The Hotel is pretty close to the airport and offer the shuttle service (what makes very convenient). The rooms a re very spacious and cozy, a very good option to start to enjoy the city of Calgary.

Room Tip: Choose and ask for the front rooms. You can see downtown Calgary and all the surroundings! Very nice...