“Great spot for business travelers”

Aloft Calgary University
Ranked #37 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I travel to Calgary a few times a year. I am always shocked and disappointed in what I get for the money. Imagine my surprise when I found that Aloft had opened a property near downtown and right across from the train station.
Reasonable price. Free parking (in a city that charges more for parking than Manhattan). Great bar/lobby.
One tip- avoid front facing rooms- train can be loud.
Annie, Christina and the full staff were spot on. I am sure they will maintain the friendly, chic vibe. I look forward to booking again on my next trip to Calgary.

Room Tip: Skip the front facing rooms. View is nothing special from the front and the train is loud.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed June 21, 2014

This hotel is new, stylish and clean. Value for your money is very high. But the best part of all is the staff, very friendly and go out of there way to assist you. Definitely a fav new Calgary hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear WorldTraveller570,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff and have dubbed us your favorite new Calgary hotel! We hope to see you again soon. Take care.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

If you were to imagine staying in a hotel by IKEA this would be it. It's very hip and the atmosphere is young a vibrant. The hotel staff are fantastic. The breakfast bar is great value and fresh. The room is right out of an IKEA show room. Very Small but comfortable and laid out nicely. Internet speed was lightning fast. The bed was fantastic. The only problem I found is that hallway noise and traffic is bothersome. I would suggest staying at the back portion of the hotel. Gym although I didn't use it on this stay was excellent. They are missing a hot tub by the splash pool. All in value for money spent was a bit on the high end at 200/night just based upon the room itself.

I will definitely try this hotel again.

One other thing was my car broke down right after checking in and they allowed me to push it to the handicap spot and offered any support I required. Just another testament to their staff.

Nice to be a SPG member too.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Nice to have another option for a SPG property in Calgary. This one in on the Hotel Strip off 16th Avenue North/Transcanada Hwy. Not terribly central, but relatively close to downtown.
The staff were very nice and accommodating. They offered to get me into a King size bed if I could wait, but I just wanted to hit the hay, so I took a room with a double queen. Nice to have it offered though. I also love their "Bliss" toiletries...
I just have a couple of issues, not just with this Aloft location, but all Aloft locations I've stayed at.
There are no shears in the rooms... Just Blackout blinds or nothing. My room overlooked another hotel, so I wanted to let some light in but also wanted some privacy. Not an option at Aloft.
The rooms don't have radios, just retro-style alarm clocks. Some of us still like to listen to the radio when we're getting ready in the morning.

Anyway, just two relatively minor issues, but something management should be aware of...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sinner5
Reviewed May 23, 2014

From the first breathe of the front desk staff's great attitude, to the casual yet chill bar; you know you're in for a great stay. A nice relaxing pool for soaking gently, and billiard table to get your mind off whatever it is you need to do.

My room was 206, large, spacious, and with the most amazing shower. Everything about a 'W' inspired A Loft is designed to flow... whether it's the soft bed, charging station, great selection of shower gel's and soaps... I can never find a more welcoming night, nor productive.

This isn't a hotel with a view outward, however, it's view inwards is far superior!

It also happens to be steps away from the C-Train to get around the city, and VERY convenient to the Zoo!

My only request would be an in room Microwave for take away / small refrigerator for chilling items.

Thanks again Annie for all your help, and sharing my enthusiasm for one of my favorite Starwood brands! After a long day, you made MY day!

Room Tip: HIGHLY recommend asking the front desk staff upon check-in. There are some oblong rooms or put into...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KLMcNabb
Caroline G, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay at Aloft Calgary University. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, including our great location! We love your enthusiasm for the Aloft brand and can't wait to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

A few of us stayed here to attend the Comicon. Loved the location and we took the C-Train to our venue. The hotel was very cool. We loved the lobby and the staff were really great! The rooms were trendy and clean. I would definitely come back and next time I hope I can enjoy the lobby area a bit more.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Caroline G, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay during Comicon. Please come back again soon and try a game of pool in our Re:mix lounge, or grab a specialty cocktail at W XYZ bar!

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed on business. Great location. Easy parking and access to train. Bed very comfy. Stayed on the main floor with no noise issue because it was during the week I'm guessing. Big plus for me is the lack of children running down the halls. Walkin shower was nice but there was some poor drainage issues that caused the water to not drain, next morning I'd have to step into a cold pool of yesterday's water. Only other issue I have is that you can't even get a free cup of coffee in the morning, could careless about breakfast but charging for morning coffee was a surprise. Other than that, best hotel on that strip.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Caroline G, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Thank you so much for leaving us a review about your stay. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and our great location with the train right outside. Our Re:fuel pantry offers free drip coffee each morning, with additional espresso choices for purchase. We apologize for any confusion over this and hope you choose to stay with us again!