“This is not the Howard Johnson I used to...”

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
“This is not the Howard Johnson I used to...”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Express? It's the slowest service in the world. An hour to cancel a room. The hotel is old and decrepit; and $80.00 a night is expensive for what you get.
After my experience in this hotel, if somebody ask me for a Howard Johnson, I will say: No thanks.
The policy of cancellations is abusive: I arrive to the hotel after a 3 hour in advance reservation by phone, and when I decided not to stay because that was not what I expected a saw in the web page, they charge me for one night anyways, it was abusive. Maybe they earn $90.00 bur Howard Johnson lost a customer for life.

Room Tip: Avoid it, by any means.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Carlos G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Medicine Hat
Reviewed November 18, 2013

$86 for a room the size of the bed basically, but the bed was good! I don't think a $300 damage deposit was necessary though, especially for a place like that. If you're looking for simple and a bed to sleep it's perfect, not if you're looking for luxury though!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Myriah O

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel for a week in Sep 2013...... It was good experience to stay there for a week during my Canada trip...... Everything was good. Staff were good. Service was quick & excellent...... In short I will recommend it to everybody to stay there once.....Location was also awesome....very near to public commute....And lot of restaurant were there near by area in walking distance....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I did business in third world countries for most of my working life. Of course this entailed staying at some horrible hotels. Being Canadian I would have never imagined that I'd be staying at an even worse hotel in my own country. After staying in this pigsty the first thing I did was immediately go to another hotel to shower off the filth I encountered on the sheets, the carpets, in the bathroom and on and on. I wouldn't make my dog stay in this hellhole. I guess one of the reasons this hotel is run at third world standards is that the owners just recently immigrated from one of those third world countries.

I would go as far to say that the only good reviews shown here are written by the owner's family and friends

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room in this "hotel"
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank gLoBe-HoPpErMaN
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I had stayed at this hotel October 3rd and 4th of 2013. First off, the front desk would not take cash and insisted my credit card, so be it. I was told the refund would be held for 24 hours after checking out. I had asked and there was nothing wrong with the room, so i was told i would be credited back. It's almost been 2 weeks! NOTHING. There were holes in the sheets, the carpets were filthy, overall im disgusted!

Room Tip: Save your money and stress, rent from a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MoMo0423
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2013

A group of friends and I visited Calgary last month for the long weekend and decided to stay at the Howard Johnson Express Inn because of its location. (They are located on Macleod Trail, minutes from downtown and Chinook Centre). Have to say was very impressed with the staff. They were extremely friendly and responded to every concern of ours quickly and effectively. The rooms were very clean and were made up properly, washrooms were clean as well. Incredible value for the price paid, and the staff were very helpful in guiding us to all of the spots that we could visit in the city. Extremely professional in everything. Surprised by the reviews on the site because they're exaggerated and quite frankly, untrue. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sainte-Adèle, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My room was very outdated and dirty, sheet in beed seemed to be already use by a previous client, stained. The washroom was a disaster, the maid that is cleaning this place obviously needs some lessons on how to clean properly. Found lost a human hair a all sorts of unidentifiable stains in sink and bath tub... We finally didn't use it.

Room Tip: Look around the area before you select it online - Better hotels where in the are, same price.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple