“Typical budget motel, improvement needed”

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel could be so much better if the owner's made a few maintenance improvements.

Entering the room we were hit by a wave of musk, but nothing a quick use of the a/c couldn't remove. The room was incredibly dark. There was only one working light bulb at the entrance and two in the bathroom. Unfortunately we couldn't switch because the hotel was at capacity.

The hotel has free wifi, which is surprisingly fast.

Overnight the room got very cold and we were unable to make the heater work. Also during the night we could hear traffic through the thin exterior walls, although the walls between rooms were satisfactory. In the morning there was a satisfying continental breakfast.

I highly recommend booking early and online. We overheard some people who hadn't booked ahead getting quoted rates almost double what we paid.

This by any means is not a great hotel, but it's okay for a quick night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelbuddy24
There are newer reviews for Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Nice and clean place to stay in Calgary. I will surely book this Hotel for my future trips.Howard Johnson Express is a perfect choice for people who don't want spend lot of money.Location is very good close to downtown.Feel free to book this Hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank 1JiJi
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I couldn't say enough bad things about this hotel. My friend was in Calgary for an extended period of time for personal reasons and to save money, he stayed in this hotel and when I flew in for the weekend, I ended up staying in the same hotel....BIG MISTAKE.

List of things I disliked most:

1. Hotel smelled like s***.
2. Not safe at all.
3. Room carpets were filthy.
4. No room service came to clean every day.
5. Parking was not safe at all and all open and the surrounding areas were scary.
6. Reception area was in a separate building.
7. Even at the day time had to wait for 20 mins at the reception....not because I was in the line but because the receptionist was inside resting and when came out rarely talked.
8. Reception NEVER answered their office phone.

Verdict - PLEASE do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Mr_AK_82
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked to stay here 1 night just the day before we were due in Calgary. Location is directly on Macloud Trail just outside the city centre. It's not the most attractive building or location but convenient. Check in was quick and when I asked for a ground floor room the young lady at the desk said "of course I just need to change the original allocation". No fuss, no bother. Done straight away. The entrance to the room was via a door which gave access to two rooms, 1 right & 1 left. There was a bit of a "funny" smell here, possably cigarette smoke from people going out side to partake of their filthy habit. The room though thankfully was smoke free. It was small, very dated and definitely in need of an update. The bed was Ok though the sheets were clean they were past their best. Bathroom was also dated and the shower head DEFINATELY NEEDS de-scaling. The water was barely coming through at a trickle! Noise is a problem. You can hear everything around and above. Breakfast was sufficient. Toast and a choice of 2 cereals+ fresh fruit. Coffee on tap. Although they had tea bags, they didn't appear to have any means of boiling water to make tea? Yes this is dated and old BUT it is cheap for Calgary. I probably wouldn't stay(no definitely) again, but for the once. OK

Room Tip: As far from the road as you can to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Skinut79
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place is a crap hole!! We originally booked this place because all we needed was a bed to sleep in but it was so not even worth that! The hotel did not honour the rate that we booked at through itravel2000.com and ended up charging us an extra $30 per night. Kuldeep was the front desk agent who gave very poor service and it was quite obvious that she did not care about her job. She very rudely called the manager in front of us and then continued to talk in another language in front of us. Have the courtesy to speak English in front of us so that we know what you are saying! Then they proceeded to preauthorize a $250 damage deposit, which we were not expecting. The room was a dumpy little hole. We were requested a room with a queen bed, which was what the girl at the front said the room had, but it was actually a double bed, which sucked cause I have a pretty big husband. The bed was also extremely uncomfortable. The pillow that I got was super lumpy and the pillow my husband got was a slab of cement. The curtain in the room had holes in it, so did the comforter on the bed. The walls were paper thin and you could here everything that anyone said, we could even hear the guest beside us fart - gross!! The whole place had a funky smell. Worst hotel experience ever!! DO NOT COME HERE, THIS PLACE IS A DIVE!!! I would give this place a zero if I could!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lacey H
Reviewed April 21, 2013

One of the WORSET Hojos EVER stayed in. Not even at 1 star level. Front desk spiked with attitude, not friendly or helpful. We had requested online early book in due to business meeting. We were told hotel policy was no booking in until 4pm. Then we were told they take a $200 damage deposit up front which was refunded when you check out if there was no damage to the room (yes, they ran my credit card for the full amount up front). NEVER in all my years on business have I EVER had to pay a damage deposit and certainly not in a well established chain. What kind of clientele do they usually accommodate!! And after seeing the room I wondered what was so special. NOTHING it was a dump!!
Room was dirty and smell stove odour of burnt on food. Opened cupboards and they were off the hinges, opened a drawer and the knob fell off. Table legs wiggly. Microwave turntable missing the turning part. Room has NEVER been properly cleaned. Bedcover ripped and full of cigarette burn holes in a 100% non smoking hotel??!! Garbage tucked behind bedside cabinet – my suggestion – FIRE housekeeping!! My question to HOJO “What was the damage deposit for??”
HOJO I expected more from this. I suggest you make haste to check out this hotel and bring them up to your standards!

Room Tip: Don't stay here that is the best advice I can give you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Deborah P
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thanks for reviewing us. We are sorry and confused that why and how you didn't enjoy your 8 night stay here. It pains for us know that ,Despite our best efforts and the best deal on the room stay .You left wanting . You declined the option to leave early with no penalties .Deposit is because all rooms are strictly non - smoking . Which you got back with no deductions at all.At check in you selected a room with a kitchen after a good look. . Room was promptly changed to an upgraded suite consisting of 32" , fridge and a microwave to your satisfaction at no extra cost . Issue with micro wave and the housekeeping were immediately resolved too .We have put in a word to the housekeeping so that there are no shortcomings in future .Hope you will give us another chance

Reviewed April 20, 2013

I am staying at the Howard johson express in Calgary and I am very satisfied with this hotel. I am attending a 2 week seminar and if not for this hotel I would not have been able to take the course.Listen,if you are expecting a brand new hotel this is not. But the people who operate it keep it clean and are very helpful. You can pay double the price per room anywhere else near here,its really up to you,but do not expect everything to be perfect, the Price is what i appreciate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank LorneLoucks

Thanks for reviewing us . We are glad you've enjoyed your stay here . Looking forward to have you back again