“grungy, low class hotel”

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Medicine Hat, Canada
“grungy, low class hotel”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

unclean, the peope stayin here are rowdy and i even saw a hooker going upstairs. Bedding was dirty. Wireless Internet was poor. the kind of people that go to this hotel are not good people. I specially told the company i work with that i would not stay here again. Somebody even scraped my car and then just drove away. The walls have no soundproofing, i could hear the hooker having sex upstairs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank Brian154920

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Ontario
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had prepaid my reservation on line with a credit card. Upon check in I was asked for a security deposit in cash or on my credit for $150.00. When I questioned this since they had already charged my credit card and had my number on file, Iwas told that this is their regular practice and there was nothing I could do about it since my reservation was non cancellable. Then they asked me to give them my CAA card, my credit card and my drivers licence to take photocopies for 'security reasons. I told them that this is a perfect way to set me up for identity theft. If I would not have been so tired and had prepaid I would have walked out.
The hotel and our room were in dire need of renovations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Jakobri

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for two nights , not knowing any better. Been in town for about a week bouncing from motel to motel as I try to find an apartment. The first tip off was that there was a disgruntled fellow who's key did not work. I went ahead and booked the night anyway. The first night wasnt so bad. That morning I decided to stay another night and went down and payed at the front desk. Went back to the room hoping to sleep in. One of the staff knocked on my door shortly after 11am. I said "just a minute" then she unlocked the door and barged in. I was in bed, in my underwear. She was talking loudly saying "check out! you check out!" I said "no, i booked another night, i already paid!" She goes "oh ok" and leaves. Then later as I was heading out for some lunch Alberta Health inspectors came in and were checking the room. Don't stay here folks!

6 Thank Traveldude32
Vishal C, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for bring this to my attention I am truly sorry for my staff wakening you after you had extended your stay with us. I have spoke to our house keeping staff and front desk and have implemented better communication between the departments so this issue will never happen again.

I do realize that you again were disturbed by the Alberta Health Dept. later in the day, the health Dept. does annual inspections of all Alberta hotels  which I am glad to inform you that we have passed.  I do wish to pass on our apologies for both  inconvenience’s and I hope you will return and give us a second chance.

Best Regards,

Vishal
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I travel a lot as a small business owner and frequent travelling , money spent on accomodation should not pinch my pocket along with a decent place to stay. the location is central,the room although have minimal upgrdades but still are clean and the pricing makes up for that..the front end staff is very helpful with directions,eat out options,bus route info and Yes the bus stop is right outside the place.so in the end its good value for every dollar spent.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for kind words .Guest feedbacks go long way in helping us make your stay more comfortable here. Hope to see you again soon
Reviewed September 14, 2012

As a business traveller i would recommend this property for cheap pricing and central location (near lrt) to all my fellow salespersons travelling on tight budgets , front desk helpful, and rooms comfy you get a good night sleep in what you've paid, the propertty is old but flat screen tv and the shaw cable provided free of charge along with free wi-fi makes up for it.

1 Thank Jot1991
Calgary
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Relocating from Toronto I needed an economical hotel while I found a rental apartment and I chose this hotel as it offered the best tariff and the location suited me perfectly.It worked fine for me as my stay was comfortable, hassle free and the pleasant surprise was their service which I found exceptionally prompt and thoughtful.From small considerations such as no-questions-asked replacement of lost keys and free breakfast & newspaper to necessities such as the quick & efficient daily room service I found them to be professional and helpful.
While I won`t say that the hotel is luxurious I do think it provides the best value for your money in Calgary.If you are not expecting the moon (at the prices that they are offering) this hotel is highly recommended.

Ashok

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ashok S
regina
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked this hotel on booking.com thinking it was going to have same high standard as Regina Howard Johnson. Wrong assumption. This place is disgusting and we got the impression it was most likely the kind of scummy establishment rented by the hour. It was supposed to be smoke free however the room reeked of smoke. There were burn marks in carpet and on bed spread. The pillow cases had mascara/make up on them not sure if stained or just not washed. We were in room only a few mins and I started coughing and getting runny nose from allergies. I did not have puffer or allergy meds and knew we would not sleep on the terribly warped matress. after hauling our stuff in room we ended up packing it all up back into car. We went to office and said we did not want to stay and described room. The old moldy dirty wall air conditioner was a disgusting health hazzard. The guy at desk said he would call manager. The manager MunMun refused to refund our money. I calledbookibg.com and they refused to help. I then called the manager directly only to be hung up on. We decided to leave anyway and cut our losses. We stayed at another hotel that night which was lovely and clean. The next morning booking.com sent email saying they were reversing the charge for the night not spent at the Howard Johnson.
Don't go there as worse than any third world lodging I have ever stayed at and manager of hotel a complete slum boss.

8 Thank danceaddikt