“Appearance better than expected, but cold in winter visit”

Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station
Ranked #98 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Fernie, Canada
“Appearance better than expected, but cold in winter visit”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

The hotel was so so. It was on the cheapier side, and in a good location for the area we wanted to be in (near Chinook). It has it's perks as well as some major downsides. The stand-alone lobby building was disgusting...when we entered, it stunk like sewer. It was gross. Luckily the rooms were much better. They were actually nicer in appearance than anticipated based on website photos. The room was fairly clean...a couple cigarette burns in our comforters even though it's a non-smoking room, and old food tray under one of the beds. The bathroom was clean and was fairly new (stayed there Feb 2012). The major downsides was pretty tight parking areas, and the radiant heat didn't seem to heat up our room at all....not that the huge gaps around the door helped letting tons of cold air in. It was one of the end rooms where there is one outside door (which was open), then you walk into a lobby with two suite doors. Air came in from under this door, and probably from the sides as well as we could see light through it.

Location, price = good. Staying there in the window = never again.

Room Tip: Check the room before finalizing your booking. Especially in the winter months!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kdubber10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Victoria
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I have never had such a bad experience with accommodations as I did with HoJo Express. I assumed by the name that a certain standard would be adhered to, but this is not the case. The free wi-fi that was advertised did not work, the LCD television had only one channel that worked, the patio door did not lock, and the "continental" breakfast consisted of three oranges and some cookies. I was so creeped out by the place that I didn't want to stay there for the three nights that I had booked, but they do not do refunds.

After checking out, I discovered that my credit card had been charged an additional $20. When I called to inquire as to the nature of the charge, the girl informed me that there was blood on two towels and a facecloth. This is a blatant lie! The manager was supposed to phone me back yesterday, but of course I received no phone call.

Save yourself the stress and book somewhere else - anywhere else. This place is a scam and a rip-off.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Anne T
comar18, Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
It is very unfortunate that your stay at our property was not pleasant , but we want to inform you that any incidentals charged to your card are for valid reasons. Not to mention that pictures were taken as evidence and can be emailed to you.

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I chose to stay here because of the Ho Jo name, but have never been so disappointed in any motel! First, the room was run down, and the FREE wi-fi that was advertised on the sign, did not work at all! We needed to do laundry and the drier was out of order (and appeared to have been out of order for some time), we asked if we could use the drier the motel uses for towels/sheets/etc, and were told that it too was out of order!?! What?! We went to get ice and discovered that the ice machine was broken...to top it all off the bed was lumpy, preventing us from getting a good night's sleep! The only nice thing I have to say about this place was that the young lady working at the front desk was pleasant and we felt bad that she had to work at such a crappy motel!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank travel0ver35
comar18, Front Office Manager at Canadas Best Value Inn Chinook Station, responded to this review, January 7, 2012
Hi, we would like to apologise about your experience .We need to know when wifi was not working.As far as we know we 've had no complaints about wifi & ice machine .For that matter wifi's strength & speed has always been applauded . You came to the front desk & demanded access to professional hotel laundry .Reason , your work clothes are too dirty & dIdn't want to use guest laundry machines .We would like to protest in strongest terms about this mis leading review
calagry,AB
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Just like to say that I was at the only HoJo in Calgary and found the people,location to be up to what I expect at other fine hotels.
Never had a problem that was not fixed after I called the "Front Desk".
Staff were polite and kept the premises clean.
Cannot find any complaint that was not taken care of after I notified the "Front Desk".
Overall, I have to say that my stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Calgary
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed here with family for about 2 weeks. Stay was comfortable. Mini-Kitchen facility was of a great help, specially while staying with family. The rates were reasonable, with the property situated quite close to the Calgary Downtown, transit and Chinook Center Mall. Staff was very friendly and co-operative.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Prasad M
calgary
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have just recently stayed at the howard johnson in calgary
the rooms were very clean and the staff was very nice and helpful.
Everything I requested for was brought to me and they were very nice about it.
For the price I paid i was very pleased with everything!
AWESOME hotel and price !!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Its Really good to stay in this hotel, i stayed for a week and every thing looked fine for me, here the front desk agent was very friendly and helped me a lot, rooms are very clean. i enjoyed staying here and i recommond this hotel if you visit calgary and downtown is very close to this hotel, i can assure you that you will enjoy staying here. I came very early in the morning before the standard checkin time and front desk agent saw me very tired and promptly alloted me a upgraded room with no extra cost.

Room Tip: rooms on main floor, ask for a room with fridge, microwave and LCD TV(no extra charges).
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo