“Don't go there”

Econo Lodge Motel Village
Ranked #93 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was in May, 2013 in my bussiness trip. I don't say that this motel is terrible, but at the next time I won't go there. Breakfast is the same all week long and poor. Dark rooms. Everyone of our group didn't like this motel at all. I think there are a lot of better offers in this price area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Nadiia P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I'm sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one, consequently it's disappointing to learn you were unhappy. I'm not sure which room you stayed in, but most if not all of our rooms have large windows and our second floor has balconies for guests to enjoy the crisp spring air. As an economy brand hotel we are mandated to offer the Choice Hotels Easy Starts Breakfast, which consists of muffins or danish, juice and coffee. We have heard our guests and expanded our breakfast to offer more options such as cereal and fruit; however we are limited by our economy brand status. Your willingness to share is appreciated and as always helps us improve so we may better serve our guests. Thanks again and hopefully the next time you're in Calgary we can show you a better nights stay.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Motel Village

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This econo lodge was fine for the one night stopover. The hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. It was quiet as well. It was tricky findind the driveway in to the hotel because there is a divider that you have to enter early. I missed it and had a difficult getting back to the hotel. Thedesk clerk was great.

• Stayed: September 2013
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that we were able to meet your expectations, you room was clean and our staff were friendly. Your feedback is very important and we hope to have you stay with us the next time you come to Calgary!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We came into town and we were recommended this motel by someone who said it was good but there could have been different management two years ago, the rooms were small, smelled a lot, dingy, horrible customer service!!! When I said to the staff that the customer service needs some work they said I was wrong!! Some nerve!! No one smiled at us, the cards for the room had to be rescanned EVERYDAY!!! So inconvenient!! Even when we had enough and wanted to speak with a manager, no one was around and they took our information but no one has called!! So disappointed, I would never recommend this to anyone, even my enemies!! Horrible, sad place with miserable employees!! Only positive was leaving this place!! Pay a little extra and go somewhere else!! This place sucks!! Big time!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
EconoInnsSuites, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Robertaobroy,

I'm concerned about the customer service and room condition issues you experienced at our hotel during your stay. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring these matters to our attention. We accommodate many guests each evening and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principle goal of our hotels is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that we failed to meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology.
The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken very seriously, they tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your experience is greatly appreciated and as a result our General Manager would like to discuss with you the issues you have raised and even though we cannot rectify the issues during your stay your satsifaction is important to us.
We look forward to hearing from you and getting an opportunity to redeem ourselves. Thank you.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

There is a nearly identical review to mine from Snowdon12. We stayed on the 2nd floor and I was awake at 4:30am to some kind of hammering or banging. Since we had read the previous review, I wasn't going to get out of bed and wander around at 5am only to get no resolve. We complained about it the next morning, and we were told this banging happens a lot.
The fan in the bathroom was loud and squeeky, the hotel smelled like air freshener trying to cover up the smoke smell, and the room had wafts of garbage smell. The TV channels were fuzzy, and the "breakfast" was served right next to the check out desk - very awkward.

Room Tip: Don't stay here - if you want an Econolodge, stay in the Inns and Suites. Otherwise, the Travel...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Calgary is a surprisingly expensive place to stay. Even the cheapest places can cost $100 a night or better. With cost a major factor, in spite of a lot of negative reviews, we booked a three-night stay at the Econolodge Motel Village.

It turned out to be a pleasant stay, and the place suited our needs perfectly. Guests should realize this is an Econolodge. It's not a full service hotel, and it is an older property. There are certainly nicer hotels in the Motel Village area, but they cost quite a bit more. The Econolodge has been decently maintained, and our room was clean and had comfortable beds. There was adequate storage, the shower had good water pressure, and lighting in the room was surprisingly bright. Amenities include cable TV and free wi-fi internet access. The hotel staff were very pleasant. We dealt with three different front desk employees and a variety of housekeeping workers. Without exception they were polite, friendly, and helpful.

We did not have any of the negative experiences other reviewers have mentioned. Some writers here complained about noise, but there was nothing unusual at all during our stay. We certainly had no problems sleeping. Others suggested the area was unsafe. Motel Village is certainly not a beautiful neighborhood, but it didn't appear crime-ridden. The area is well lit, and local people were out walking well into the evening. There were also people who complained that there was nowhere to park. The hotel seemed to be full when we were there, but there were always at least a few spaces in the lot.

I'd agree with those who noticed a strong odor of air freshener in the lobby. The smell was pronounced, but it wasn't anything unpleasant. There's essentially no view at all out the windows (just the parking lot and other hotels and restaurants), but that wasn't the reason we were there. Our room was hot when we arrived, and the air conditioner struggled a bit to cool it down. Once it did, though, it stayed cool through the rest of our stay.

The hotel's location really couldn't be better. It's right off of the Trans-Canada Highway, buses stop right in front, and it's a short walk to the Banff Trail station, from which the C-Train will whisk you downtown in just a few minutes and whisk you all over the city quite easily. (Hint: It's shorter and easier to get to the station by leaving from the back of the hotel and walking past the Best Western and McMahon Stadium.) We were pleased to park our car for three days and not have to deal with city traffic. When we left, it was a very easy drive leaving town to the west.

There's a Denny's and a Boston Pizza (which has a huge menu that includes steaks, ribs, and salads) right next door to the hotel, and just a short walk away you'll find McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Phil's family restaurant, a steakhouse, and local Vietnamese and Indian restaurants. One stop south on the C-Train (and not a long walk either) is a major shopping mall with a huge Sears department store, a Safeway supermarket, a nice food court, a 24-hour Shoppers Drug Mart, and a wonderful Purdy's candy store.

My only real complaint with this hotel would be the breakfast. It is extremely minimal, not really even what I'd call "continental". Basically there's toast or muffins, plus weak coffee and watered-down juice. That was surprising in an era when most hotels are expanding their breakfast offerings. After the first day, we passed on the Econolodge breakfast and instead went to the McDonalds down the street.

While I do find it odd that room prices are higher in Calgary than they are in Toronto or Chicago, we take the market for what it is. In a high-priced city, the Econolodge Motel Village is a good choice. No, it's not the Ritz, but it's a perfectly acceptable place to spend a few nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dmbia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Ok so I did go to this hotel with a realistic view of bang for our buck. Aside from very dust window coverings and our balcony door have no secure lock and it not being able to close properly I didn't care it was a place to stay.. The next morning however (got there quite late), my son was playing with toys and went under the desk when I looked under I saw (not too far from him) a USED yes used tampon applicator and wrapper GROSS!!! My son is a year old what I'd he would have found it and grabbed it and put it in his mouth??!! With that we packed up and left!!! I told the lady at the front desk who said she couldn't give me a discount because I paid via Expedia. She then said she could give me a deal to stay again and I asked her if she thought if I would EVER come back and she said no I probably wouldn't... I mean it was right in plain view!!! Ugh I'm still grossed out even now

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jgreer107
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I'm concerned about the room cleanliness issue you experienced at our hotel, it is disappointing to learn that you were unhappy.
The issue raised by you is quite unusual as we have very high standards for cleanliness at our hotel.

Please understand finding something like that is unacceptable to us as well, we apologize.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously.
They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be sure that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken.

The General Manager would like to speak to you personally, you can reach her at (403) 289 2561.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.
We look forward to serving your future lodging needs.

Pratham Patel
Sales and Marketing Coordinator
Direct Line: (403) 289 1921 x 4051

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Dirty room, the whole building stinks, people up partying all night, someone was using a hammer below us starting at 2:30 am shaking our room. called front desk, no answer. Hammering and yelling went on for 2 more hours I get up and go down to front desk in person, the 18 year old kid working there explained that he was the only person working that night and there was no security, he looked terrified, which made me feel great because the only lock on our door that worked was the flimsy chain lock. I spent the rest of the night holding my baby that wouldn't go back to sleep next to a lamp I unplugged in case I had to swing it at an intruder. The continental breakfast consisted of dry white bread plain oatmeal and cold coffee.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Ssnowdon12
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Pratham Patel