“Interesting”

Ranked #91 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Interesting”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We needed a roomy place to stay close to the hospital. It was my elderly dad and I. I couldn't find any other 2 bedroom suites in motel village, so we chanced it. I know this Econolodge doesn't look the greatest and it is right beside Denny's on 16th Ave. Anyways, the suite was about what I expected -- kind of dumpy, but relatively clean. It was more like a 2 bedroom apartment, with a large kitchen with lots of cupboards and full size appliances.

It was well designed, with the living room fairly large and the bathroom in between the bedrooms. There were large closets, hangers, 3 TV's and a beautiful rock fireplace. The rug was kind of old, and the wiring looked like it wasn't up to code but we didn't have any difficulties. The bathroom was very basic, but clean. There is storage space in the bathroom for personal items. We didn't use the sofa beds, but there were 2 of them. The beds were surprisingly comfortable.

The free breakfast wasn't much but it is what it is. Continental.

There was a washer and dryer in the suite, with a sign on them saying they didn't work. That was unfortunate as we needed to do laundry and the ones in the hotel basement are only available after 3 p.m. (often much later).

Staff was decent. Willing to help you with anything. There is no pool (we knew that).

The parking is good (right outside the room). The place could use a bit of a clean up and all that but otherwise decent.

I really liked how big the entire suite was. it fit my dad and I perfectly for 5 days while we took care of my mom. Yes, they are a little stingy on dishes etc. but I don't doubt that a lot of them get stolen.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank xxhermxx
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Hello!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a detailed review, we really do appreciate it!

We are glad that you choose to stay with us while your Dad was in the hospital. We have a very close relationship with the hospitals in the area, and we are the closest hotel in the area.

The room you stayed in is our apartment style suite, we are the only hotel in Motel Village to offer such a room, it is perfect for extended stay's and families.

I am not entirely sure what was wrong with the washer and dryer in the suite, I am going to look into it! I agree that yes you should be able to do your laundry!

Our front desk staff, as you experienced, are there to take care of you 24 hours a day, they are trained to answer any question you may have!

Thank you again for writing a review of our hotel!

Sales & Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

worst place ive ever stayed, in all my life.. to quote a friend,"its not fit for a dog kennel".

• Stayed May 2012
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Hello

I would first like to apologize that you had this unpleasant experience at the hotel.

Bed bugs do not originate in hotels; they are actually unknowingly brought in by other guests. Once you informed us of the situation, we promptly contacted our exterminator and had every corner of the room treated. This issue is something every hotel in the world faces, even the luxury resorts.

You and your company have been staying with us for almost the entire year, to our knowledge this is the first time there has ever been an issue of any kind. We have refunded your credit card because of this issue and we do hope you will continue to stay with us.

If you have any further concerns I encourage you to personally contact the general manager of the hotel and she will be more than happy to assist you.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I paid about $90 a night through expedia and think that this was way over-priced. Hotel is old and somewhat run-down. The first thing I saw when I entered my room was some sort of pamphlet on the floor peeking out from under the bedspread. Turns out it was a condom pamphlet complete with picture directions. If I had young kids with me I would have been terrilby upset! I had spilled some water on the nighstand and grabbed a facecloth to wipe it up, the cloth was black afterwords. The buttons on the TV remote were totally worn off so I could barely figure out how to use the tv. One plus was the bed was fairly comfortable and the showerhead worked really well, plenty of hot water. Although I hate lugging luggage up the stairs I am glad I was on the 2nd floor, I don't think I would have felt safe on the 1st floor. Not somewhere I would deliberately stay at again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lfehr99
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Hello

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our hotel. Reviews like this really help us look at the way we operate, and change our policies to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied.

I have personally spoken the the head housekeeper about your concerns and they are very sorry that the pamphlet was missed during the room cleaning. Also, I spoke to maintenance about the nightstand and they believe that the only reason for the cloth to turn black is the finish being wiped off the nightstand.

Our property has passed careful inspection by many different travel organizations such as Canadian Star Quality, The Alberta Motor Vehicle Association, and Choice Hotels Canada who recently awarded the hotel their APEX award for most improved room conditions.

We wish you would have brought your concerns to the front desk, one of our helpful staff is available 24 hours a day to address any concerns, they could have moved you to one of our newly renovated rooms.

If you would like to discuss this further, the general manager or myself would be more than happy to address your concerns.

Thank you again for you input!

EconoLodge Motel Village
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Hands down the worst motel I've ever stayed in. The room was dirty, with body hair in the shower and the beds. We stayed at this motel because of it's proximity to Foothills Hospital, but there are several other options in the area. We didn't notice just how gross the room was until we had spent a night there, and when we complained to the front desk, he said he wouldn't refund our money, even partially. (Under normal circumstances, we would have noticed sooner and gotten another room somewhere else immediately, but we had a family member in ICU at the hospital and weren't thinking clearly) They offered to switch us to another room, we refused.

Room Tip: Stay away, there are many other choices
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank CeeCeeK
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us. Reviews like this are very helpful to us and really helps look at our performance.

I am glad you decided to take advantage of our proximity to the foothills hospital; however I am concerned that you found our rooms dirty! We recently won the Choice Hotels Canada Apex Award for most improved room conditions.

I’m glad to hear that you went to the front desk; this is the correct thing to do with any concerns. Our front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, and is able to address and fix any issue a guest may have.

It’s too bad that you choose to stay in the room; it is highly unusual that a room is not satisfactory; we would have moved you to one of our newly renovated rooms.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact the general manager of the hotel directly, as she would be more than happy to speak with you

EconoLodge Motel Village
(403) 289-2561
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel as a family member was hospitalized at the Foothills Hospital. Due to a large conference in town, this was the only place available on short notice. The bathroom was horrible as there was mould all over the ceiling. No fridge, and laundry facilities were in the basement of the hotel, shared with the cleaning staff. It was party central as a football game was on close by at McMahon Stadium. Nobody seemed to care. The worst part was I paid a hundred bucks a night to stay here. I will NEVER stay here again!!!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank epochlaw
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Hello

I really appreciate you taking time to write a review about your stay with us, when concerns like yours are brought to our attention we are able to fix them so that it does not happen again.

As with any hotel, there is somebody at the front desk available 24 hours per day to address and resolve any concerns that you may have. We actually do have newly renovated rooms available, as well as rooms with fridges and microwaves.

There is a sign posted, that states that all laundry facilities are available after 3pm

I would like to invite the author of this review to call Yasmin Peerani the General Manager of The EconoLodge Motel Village to discuss this review further. You may contact her, toll free at - 1-866-501-0542 or yperraniecono@shaw.ca

Vienna
Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you want a cheap quick stop hotel at a cheap price this is okay. A bit run down but for a one night stop over it is ok. NOT a place for a holiday stay! Busy location and a bit worn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank finnsdo
Hello

Thank you for leaving us a review!

We would like to let readers know that we do offer newly renovated rooms. We are also, the proud recipient of the APEX award for best housekeeping for 2011. We also have staff available 24 hours per day should you have any concern with your stay.

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Booked ahead because motor inn was "pet friendly". When I arrived I did not feel welcome with my dog at all. I was told that the dog was NOT to be left alone in the suite at any time. Rather inconvenient .. how is one to go to a restaurant? This initial reception set the tone for my stay. I felt as if I was not the "customer" at all.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank wej2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention.

Because of this review, we have changed out pet policy;

Pets are allowed to be in the room unattended, however we would request that they not be left alone for more than 4 hours.