“its infested with bed bugs, guys from crew got ate alive.. so gross..”

Econo Lodge Motel Village
Ranked #92 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

worst place ive ever stayed, in all my life.. to quote a friend,"its not fit for a dog kennel".

• Stayed: May 2012
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Hello

I would first like to apologize that you had this unpleasant experience at the hotel.

Bed bugs do not originate in hotels; they are actually unknowingly brought in by other guests. Once you informed us of the situation, we promptly contacted our exterminator and had every corner of the room treated. This issue is something every hotel in the world faces, even the luxury resorts.

You and your company have been staying with us for almost the entire year, to our knowledge this is the first time there has ever been an issue of any kind. We have refunded your credit card because of this issue and we do hope you will continue to stay with us.

If you have any further concerns I encourage you to personally contact the general manager of the hotel and she will be more than happy to assist you.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I paid about $90 a night through expedia and think that this was way over-priced. Hotel is old and somewhat run-down. The first thing I saw when I entered my room was some sort of pamphlet on the floor peeking out from under the bedspread. Turns out it was a condom pamphlet complete with picture directions. If I had young kids with me I would have been terrilby upset! I had spilled some water on the nighstand and grabbed a facecloth to wipe it up, the cloth was black afterwords. The buttons on the TV remote were totally worn off so I could barely figure out how to use the tv. One plus was the bed was fairly comfortable and the showerhead worked really well, plenty of hot water. Although I hate lugging luggage up the stairs I am glad I was on the 2nd floor, I don't think I would have felt safe on the 1st floor. Not somewhere I would deliberately stay at again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lfehr99
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Hello

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about our hotel. Reviews like this really help us look at the way we operate, and change our policies to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied.

I have personally spoken the the head housekeeper about your concerns and they are very sorry that the pamphlet was missed during the room cleaning. Also, I spoke to maintenance about the nightstand and they believe that the only reason for the cloth to turn black is the finish being wiped off the nightstand.

Our property has passed careful inspection by many different travel organizations such as Canadian Star Quality, The Alberta Motor Vehicle Association, and Choice Hotels Canada who recently awarded the hotel their APEX award for most improved room conditions.

We wish you would have brought your concerns to the front desk, one of our helpful staff is available 24 hours a day to address any concerns, they could have moved you to one of our newly renovated rooms.

If you would like to discuss this further, the general manager or myself would be more than happy to address your concerns.

Thank you again for you input!

EconoLodge Motel Village

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Hands down the worst motel I've ever stayed in. The room was dirty, with body hair in the shower and the beds. We stayed at this motel because of it's proximity to Foothills Hospital, but there are several other options in the area. We didn't notice just how gross the room was until we had spent a night there, and when we complained to the front desk, he said he wouldn't refund our money, even partially. (Under normal circumstances, we would have noticed sooner and gotten another room somewhere else immediately, but we had a family member in ICU at the hospital and weren't thinking clearly) They offered to switch us to another room, we refused.

Room Tip: Stay away, there are many other choices
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank CeeCeeK
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us. Reviews like this are very helpful to us and really helps look at our performance.

I am glad you decided to take advantage of our proximity to the foothills hospital; however I am concerned that you found our rooms dirty! We recently won the Choice Hotels Canada Apex Award for most improved room conditions.

I’m glad to hear that you went to the front desk; this is the correct thing to do with any concerns. Our front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, and is able to address and fix any issue a guest may have.

It’s too bad that you choose to stay in the room; it is highly unusual that a room is not satisfactory; we would have moved you to one of our newly renovated rooms.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact the general manager of the hotel directly, as she would be more than happy to speak with you

EconoLodge Motel Village
(403) 289-2561

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel as a family member was hospitalized at the Foothills Hospital. Due to a large conference in town, this was the only place available on short notice. The bathroom was horrible as there was mould all over the ceiling. No fridge, and laundry facilities were in the basement of the hotel, shared with the cleaning staff. It was party central as a football game was on close by at McMahon Stadium. Nobody seemed to care. The worst part was I paid a hundred bucks a night to stay here. I will NEVER stay here again!!!

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank epochlaw
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Motel Village, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Hello

I really appreciate you taking time to write a review about your stay with us, when concerns like yours are brought to our attention we are able to fix them so that it does not happen again.

As with any hotel, there is somebody at the front desk available 24 hours per day to address and resolve any concerns that you may have. We actually do have newly renovated rooms available, as well as rooms with fridges and microwaves.

There is a sign posted, that states that all laundry facilities are available after 3pm

I would like to invite the author of this review to call Yasmin Peerani the General Manager of The EconoLodge Motel Village to discuss this review further. You may contact her, toll free at - 1-866-501-0542 or yperraniecono@shaw.ca

Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you want a cheap quick stop hotel at a cheap price this is okay. A bit run down but for a one night stop over it is ok. NOT a place for a holiday stay! Busy location and a bit worn.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank finnsdo

Hello

Thank you for leaving us a review!

We would like to let readers know that we do offer newly renovated rooms. We are also, the proud recipient of the APEX award for best housekeeping for 2011. We also have staff available 24 hours per day should you have any concern with your stay.

Reviewed June 17, 2011

Booked ahead because motor inn was "pet friendly". When I arrived I did not feel welcome with my dog at all. I was told that the dog was NOT to be left alone in the suite at any time. Rather inconvenient .. how is one to go to a restaurant? This initial reception set the tone for my stay. I felt as if I was not the "customer" at all.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank wej2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention.

Because of this review, we have changed out pet policy;

Pets are allowed to be in the room unattended, however we would request that they not be left alone for more than 4 hours.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We booked this Econo Lodge because of its location and because it was cheap(relatively) for a "get there late leave there early" part of our itinerary. Based on some of the reviews posted here and my own experience, I expected this Econo Lodge to be a little rough around the edges and it was(a little). My thought has always been this: if your paying for a place where you'll be unconscious for 85% of the small amount of time you're there, then I would rather spend money on something else, like a really nice dinner or for a great hotel later on in the trip. As long as there is no filth or vermin, all the appliances are functional-i.e. A/C, TV and hot water-and no disturbing noises at night, I'm pretty easy to please. The hallway did have a sour kind of old cigarette smell but the room itself smelled fine. They had lobby coffee and a very modest continental breakfast in the morning and all the staff we encountered were helpful and accommodating. For "low maintenance" travelers like ourselves, the Econo Lodge had all we needed.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple