“NIce Hotel (if you can handle the smell!)”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University
Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton
“NIce Hotel (if you can handle the smell!)”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Team stayed at this hotel for a recent basketball tournament . Initial impressions were good. Lobby is clean, hotel appearance good. Got a special team rate for the one night stay. All was good until we entered our rooms. Rooms smelled like perm solution (ammonia?) - felt like stepping into a hair salon!! Discovered that all rooms had this smell, didn't matter what floor you stayed on. Those of us with sensitivities had a difficult time. Many had alergy-type symptons - itchy eyes, nasal congestion etc. Spoke with front desk, they offered to relocate us to another room, but it was evident that this wouldn't solve anything, as all rooms were smelly. On check-out, wanted to speak with manager, she was not available on Sat. morning. Complained about smell on check-out. Staff was aware of the smell problem. Claimed it had something to do with the warm weather and its effect on the rooms. ( Rooms looked like they were recently reno'd, so maybe carpets? Cleaning solutions?) Insisted staff advise manager of our complaint. Reply was that she knew about the issue as we were not the first ones to complain.

Bottom line: Looks good, great location, but would NOT stay here again. Too toxic!!

• Stayed May 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
NEW YORK
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Stayed here during first night in Calgary, and also again the night before departure. Check-in personnel were courteous, and no problems during check-in process. Lobby is bright and airy, doubles as breakfast area.

Both rooms that I stayed in during my stay(s) had kind of a "hair coloring solution" type of odor. Not a big deal, but the odor was a bit wierd, and noticable when first entering rooms.

The location is about 20 minutes from the airport, and if you have a rental car you will find it very easy to drive into the center of Calgary - about 10 minutes or less depending on traffic.

Breakfast was typical rolls, coffee, OJ, cereal - nothing special, but its free.

Downside of hotel is no "in-room" wireless internet access, only in lobby area. They do have in-room "wired" internet hookup, and hotel desk clerk offered me a cable to hook my laptop up to it if needed. Hotel has only one elevator in the main tower. Rooms also offered in two-story (older) section (exterior stairs, walkways, exterior entrance to rooms), but main building looks alot better. Hotel free parking gets a bit tight as evening progresses.

The area around the hotel has quite a number of restaurants on the nearby main thoroughfare (TransCanada Hwy 1) , HOWEVER, if you drive around the block (just exit to the LEFT out of hotel main driveway, go past the light rail station on right, then make a quick left - you will see a large footbridge going over towards a huge college stadium) and you will find a small strip mall that has a Dairy Queen, a BBQ restaurant (which was pricey), a Seafood Chain restaurant AND you will find the "Saigon Y2K" Vietnamese restaurant found at the very end of the strip mall. Saigon Y2K IS THE PLACE TO EAT CHEAP and HEARTILY!!!! Try there SUMMER ROLLS (not the Spring Rolls). I ate there twice, and both nights it was getting crowded around 6:30 - 7 PM with locals and local university college kids. This is a definite place to get good cheap eats.

Overall, Room was clean and comfortable. Price was right. Location not bad if you are driving. I would stay there again.

• Liked — Location, Price
  • Disliked — No in-room Wi-Fi
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FDNYCAPT
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2008

I stayed here with my family,to attend a nearby conference.We stayed in the newer tower,and overall this hotel is good value.I have a problem with the Choice hotels promise,which is displayed prominently in your room.Basically it states that if you are not satisfied with any part of your stay,and if the hotel is unable to rectify the situation,then you are not expected to pay for the day(when the problem occured).We had no hot(or even warm)water on our departure day.I informed the hotel immediately.They sent up a maintenence man,who confirmed that the water was cold,and said that he will check the boilers.We waited an hour,but the water continued to remain cold.My entire family was unable to shower.
Other issues included the pool and hot-tub being closed for cleaning on our first day.On the second day,the pool re-opened,but the water was dirty,and the hot-tub was hot,but without any functioning jets.Breakfast was mediocre,to say the least.Our room airconditioner was erratic and noisy.
I pointed out the "Choice hotels promise" on check-out,and mentioned the hot-water issue to the clerk.She proceeded to remove 10% of 1 day's rate of the bill.A far cry from the "promise".I did write to Choice hotels,who were apologetic,and who forwarded my concern to the hotel.The manager sent me an e-mail,which did not address the "promise".She proceeded to tell me that it is impossible that I used the pool,as it was "closed" on the days of my stay;that there was no hot water for only half hour,and that we could have had a late check-out if we wanted to facilitate showering(this was never offered,when we spoke to the clerk);and that she had large notices at the front-desk mentioning the closed pool,and that we could have cancelled our reservation without penalty if so desired(we never saw any signs!).My message is"do not display a promise,that you cannot fullfill"

• Liked — New tower/location/general appearance/satisfactory rooms
  • Disliked — staff unable to resolve issues satisfactorily
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank disneylover777
Oakville, Ontario
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We spent 2 nights at the hotel and had no problems whatsoever. Check-in was fine, I noticed another traveller reviewing this hotel complaining about having to pay a security deposit of $100 - many hotels charge this but as long as you don't rack up long-distance you are fine, and another complained because he didn't confirm his reservation - that's just a dumb practice, always confirm everything a few days beforehand be it hotels or car rentals or anything travel related. That's just commom sense!

The room was very nice, its laid out for long-term stay so it had a real closet and a microwave/fridge and a TV that lets you plug in a DVD player (my family enjoys using a portable DVD player so this was a plus for us!). The pool was nice and we were able to relax in the hot tub as well. The hotel does have a guest lanudry room but I didn't need to use it.

The continental breakfast was good with basics like fruit, toast, cereal, muffins, and pastries and it was consistently being restocked by an attendant. The local news plays on TV and newspapers were available so you could catch up with the news before heading out on your big day.

The location was great for our tourist needs - its along a major roadway and its located next to a mass transit station. Be wary when driving in Calgary - we got lost so often that we eventually just broke down and laughed and laughed about how hard it was to navigate the streets. I guess that's part of being a tourist.

My family would most definitely stay at this hotel again. The price was great and we were treated very well. The first night of our stay we received a voice mail from the front desk welcoming us to the hotel and inviting us to contact them for any of our needs. I really appreciate that sort of customer service and it makes my vacation pleasant.

• Liked — Amazing customer service!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank devdev_7
Portland OR
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Room was nice, but the air/heat fan was very noisy. We stayed in the new tower which is nice appearing. The older section needs cosmetic work and is in disrepair. We stayed Thursday and Friday. I asked for AAA rates, which were approved for Thursday, but denied for Friday. I believe this is against AAA policy and intend to report this to AAA. When we checked in, we were told that all guests had to give a $100 security deposit or room would be denied. We were not told this when we made the reservations on phone. I was angry about this, but gave them the deposit because it was 9:00 p.m. I would not stay at this facility again.

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — management practices
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Darrchek
alberta
Reviewed May 23, 2007

Really nice hotel, very clean, very very nice staff. the bathroom in our room was exceptionally clean, no hairs, no nails. the only thing that was disappointing with our room was that the air freshener smelt like perming chemicals but you couldn't notice it once you stayed in the room for a while. but otherwise a great stay, highly recommended.

• Liked — really nice staff, very clean rooms
  • Disliked — pool was kinda old, and looked like it was never used, but it was clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Red Deer, Alberta
Reviewed October 30, 2006

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. This is the second time we've stayed there. We learnt that you need to request the new part of the hotel, the older rooms are not nice. However, the new part is nice. The room was spacious and clean, the beds comfortable. The only negative thing was that there was a couple football and hockey teams staying there the 2nd night. We had 3 or 4 drunk high schoolers outside our door around midnight, throwing each other into the walls in the hallway. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I called down to the front desk and it must have helped, because they left. We'll probably stay there again. The price isn't overly great, but it seems pretty comparable to other places.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business