“Staff was so friendly”

Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Houston, Texas
“Staff was so friendly”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The staff was wonderful and sweet. The rooms were cleaned everyday. The price was less than most hotels in Calgary during Stampede. The pool and hot tub were great to relax in. We had a parking spot at all times even though it says "First Come gets a spot" Restaurants and fast food were close. A train station was within walking distance.
The only problem we had was that our air conditioner would only work for 2 minutes without blowing the breaker. You would think this wouldn't be a problem since it's supposed to be cool there but this is the hottest summer they have had and it was not cool. They did have someone come everyday trying to fix it but it never worked the whole 8 days we were there. They finally provided us with a stand up fan which helped but after long days out in the heat it would have been nice to be able to cool off when we were sleeping. All in all, I would say that I would stay there again - if only because of the people working there.

Room Tip: There are very few smoking hotels in Calgary as far as I could find. This one had a separate buildi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JalindaHouston_Texas
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Hello!

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us, reviews like this one really let us know how we are doing, what we are doing well, and what we need to improve upon.

I am glad that you enjoyed our staff, we take great pride on our excellent service.

We put a great deal of effort to ensure that we are fairly, and competitively priced. When you are staying with us you can always rest assured that you are spending the night....not a fortune.

While we are the first to admit that parking is a little tight on our property, we are proud to offer one complimentary parking spot each room.

I am sorry to hear that you had some maintenance problems during your stay with us. Our staff did try to resolve the issue with your conditioner, however the only way to fix it was to install a new one. I can personally assure you that the air unit has been replaced and the issue fixed.

At the EconoLodge Inn & Suites University we have two buildings. The main building (our tower section) is 100% non smoking, and features interior corridors. The building where you stayed is our West Courtyard building. This building features exterior entrance rooms, smoking rooms, and a few larger suites.

Thank you again for leaving us a review. I look forward to your next stay with us!

Sales & Marketing Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and decided to stay here with our two preschool aged kids. We had called in a couple of days earlier and requested an early check-in as the wedding was at 4 and check-in is at 3. The lady who answered was polite enough to say that while she could not promise anything, she would put in the request. My parents and brother were staying in the same hotel and they had arrived earlier in the day and my mother checked with the staff who told her that our room was ready for our pre-3pm arrival.

Our problems started right away when we got to the hotel at approximately 240pm and was assigned room 102. As we were walking to the room, our daughter pointed out that it seemed like someone "is already sleeping in the room" as the blinds were open. When we opened the door, the room was a complete mess. Sheets were overturned and the room was definitely not ready. I went back to the front desk and the lady there immediately realized the mistake and I could hear her mumbling to her co-worker "their room isn't ready". With two little kids and a wedding to attend in an hour, she tried her best to accommodate us in another room but couldn't make it work. In the meantime someone from housekeeping had arrived and had frantically started putting the room together.

We went back to wait and it seemed very obvious that the housekeeper was rushing through everything, trying desperately to get our room ready. While talking to her, she said "I wasn't told that anyone would be staying in this room tonight". Within about 20 minutes she half-assed the job and left, leaving us with no towels, no toiletries, a used soap bar in the shower, the sheets weren't even tucked into the beds, amongst other things. I decided to go back to the front desk to express my displeasure. There I was met with an extremely rude front desk agent who interrupted me to say "SIR WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO CHECK YOU OUT OF THE ROOM SO YOU CAN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE?" which I found totally inappropriate and uncalled for! They tried to say that we arrived early and that rooms are guaranteed for 3pm only but this made no sense since a) my mother was told that our room was ready, b) housekeeping said that they were uninformed that someone was staying in that room and c) why start cleaning a room at 245? If I had arrived at 3pm or later, I GUARANTEE you that room would not have been cleaned as this was a complete oversight on the hotel's part. Eventually they gave me a business card to someone named Rory and said to contact him.

Things were okay from there, nothing exceptional. My wife wasn't even confident that the room was clean or if they just used the same sheets because everything was so rushed. The location was great, the pool was nice, the breakfast was good, the rooms were okay - a little dark. The other incident was the second night I called to front desk to ask for a shower cap. When I went to pick it up, I asked for a second one (there were four of us staying two nights) and the lady said "we only give one shower cap per room". Are you kidding me? It was a cheap, disposable cap but she only wanted to give me one, despite the fact that we are two adults staying two nights. I was stunned, never experienced anything like that and we have stayed everywhere.

While checking out, I was helped by a lady who had "supervisor" on her badge so I told her a bit of my story and that the others had told me to contact Rory. She was surprised and wondered why they would point me to "Rory" and said she was the supervisor and Rory was just the sales guy. At that point, I was like whatever...obviously communication at this property is not a strong suit. I checked out and left but my wife and I both agree we're not going to be staying here again. The old saying you get what you pay for is correct and we'd rather pay 50% more and stay somewhere where we feel valued.

Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are probably better, the closer you get to the East side of the hotel, the closer...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Hello

I am very sorry that you had an unpleasant experience with our front desk staff.

It is the policy here at the EconoLodge as well as most hotels that we do not guarantee an early arrival. Guests may request an early arrival, however it is not guaranteed. Many factors need to be taken into account such as, number of available housekeepers, what time the previous guest checked out of the room etc…

From our understanding of the situation, you were given your keys, and told that the room was not ready yet, and to come back later in the day. When you arrived back to the front desk complaining that the room was not ready, the front desk agent offered to upgrade you into the new tower section of the hotel for an additional charge. This room would have been ready immediately however you refused.

I spoke with housekeeping and they informed me that you stood at the door to the room demanding to be let in. As I am sure you can appreciate, it is difficult to do a proper job when someone is pressuring you. The EconoLodge Inn & Suites University has won the Alberta Hotel and Lodging Association’s Housekeeping award, many years in a row; we no doubt are among the cleanest hotels in the city. Housekeeping has all rooms prepared for 3pm arrival, had housekeeping been able to do their job properly, the room would have been ready.

I am glad you enjoyed the remainder of your stay! All of our guests enjoy access to our pool, hot tub and fitness center. Included in all rooms is our complimentary Bright Starts Breakfast. The EconoLodge Inn & Suites University features newly renovated rooms, a 100% non-smoking tower, and complimentary parking.
I investigated about what was said to your mother... According to the front desk agents you mother checked in the day prior to your arrival, and inquired about your room. The agent informed your mother that there was a reservation; at no point did we guarantee that the room was ready for early arrival.

If you would like to discuss your concerns, the general manager of the hotel would be happy to discuss them with you.

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University
Vancouver
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed in a tower room of this EconoLodge which is apparently the newer part of the building. The rooms are surprisingly nice and clean, offering more than a spartan econo hotel experience. The staff at the front desk are polite and friendly, and the little extras like free internet and a few breakfast choices make this a decent budget hotel.

PROS:
- Clean, large and newer rooms in the tower part of the hotel
- Rooms have a fridge, microwave and a coffee maker
- Location is within minutes walk from a city train station
- Free continental breakfast
- Complimentary Internet for hotel guests

CONS:
- Breakfast choices are minimal
- Tight parking

Overall, good value and recommended if you are visiting Calgary.

Room Tip: Tower part of the hotel apparently has nicer and newer rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelsavvy888
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Hello!

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a well thought out response, this is probably one of the most informative reviews we have ever received!

We are glad you enjoyed your tower room, these rooms are the newest room in the hotel. All of the rooms in the hotel feature a microwave and fridge.

We have some of the finest front desk agents in the city working at the hotel, and each of them is well trained to handle any issue you might have. The best part is, they are available 24 hours per day.

We are located a few steps away from the Banff Trail Train station that will allow our guests to access the entire city within minutes. You can be downtown within 10 minutes, this is a favorite option among corporate guests.

Each morning guests will enjoy our Bright Starts Breakfast. This energizing breakfast is the perfect way for guests to start their day. Featuring a variety of muffins, danish, and cereal. Round off your meal with coffee, tea, juice, and a piece of fruit.

We admit that our parking is limited, however each room is given one complimentary parking spot.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me at the hotel, I would love to hear from you!

EconoLodge Inn & Suites University
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I was very impressed with the cleanliness, comfort and atmosphere of this hotel. I thought it was very good value for the $70-80/night I paid. I've stayed on two separate occasions for 3-5 nights. Front desk staff is professional, friendly and quick. Great location, just a block from the train and the stadium. 20 min walk to the U of Calgary.
It is an econolodge, so the towels aren't that fluffy, and the breakfast isn't worth getting up for. Nothing luxurious, but its no fuss, quiet and comfy. My first choice when i need a place in Calgary.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Stayed for 1 night here as everything nearby was booked up. Service at desk was lacking on arrival. Clerk had other things to worry about rather than customers.

Rooms were daily clean but dated and bathroom was looking a bit tired with loose caulking. Beds were clean but sheets / duvet were low quality materials.

Continental breakfast was a big disappointment as there was no regular coffee left or muffins when we arrived "late" at 8 am. Anyway, I am sure Tim Hortons serves better fair down the road.

I would only stay here again if I could not find another room in the area.

I guess at $95 / night I cannot complain too much. That seams to be a deal on Calgary.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank meal_reviewer37
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Hello

Thank you so much for taking to time to write a review for us. Reviews like this one are instrumental to helping us reflect on our operations.

I sincerely apologize that your experience with our front desk was not favorable. Our front desk staff is at the desk 24 hours a day to assist with any questions you may have.

Our complimentary Bright Starts Breakfast features a variety of muffins, we do apologize that some muffins are more popular than others. We make every effort to ensure that our breakfast items are fully stocked. Our breakfast items include: A variety of cereal, bread, and muffins. You can round off your breakfast with coffee, tea, juice, and seasonal fruit.

We put great effort into making sure our rates our the most competitive in the area, this allows our valued guests to spend the night, not a fortune!

The general manager of the hotel would like to speak with you personally, so she can further discuss your concerns. We love hearing feedback such as yours, so we can better train our staff to help our guests. Please contact her at (403) 289-1921.

The Netherlands
Reviewed February 14, 2012

This budget motel is located in the 'Motel Village' on Banff Trail in Calgary: easy accessible but what a sad little stretch of town! It's location (close to light rail, hospital & several shops) should help, but doesn't add to the fact that the hotels/motels in this area are built to close to each other. No You'll look into the room of the Hampton Inn on one side and into the rooms of another motel on the other side. Luckily for us it was just a 1 night stop before flying back home.

Frontdesk girl wasn't very welcoming: might have been the end of her workday? Because of it's location right next to the vending/ice machine (REALLY next to your roomdoor!), we switched from the reserved 2Q efficiency suite to a standard 2Q. On check out we were told that our rate (with AAA discount) couldn't be adjusted to the lower rate, which cost us the price-difference of C$30 .. Made me wonder if I could have gotten the lower rate if I had tried to book it myself by internet and had cancelled my own reservation (we arrived well before 6pm)!

A 2Q room is pretty small, but the beds were ok and it had a little fridge, microwave & coffeemaker. WiFi worked pretty well and was rather fast. Continental BF was just the basics (juice/coffee+tea/pastries&muffins/toast/cereals and some fruit) and the BF area is a bit small. Didn't use the pool/hottub, but it looked oke. Parking may be a bit thight when the motel is fully booked or when you arrive late. The motel offers rooms with exterior corridors (accessible by stairs) as well as rooms with interior corridors (accessible by an elevator).

This was the first time I stayed in an Econo Lodge from this chain and I just wasn't impressed!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anika43
EconoInnsSuites, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Hello

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about us. Reviews like yours are extremely helpful, and it really lets us look at the way we operate, in order to help guests in the future. I would like to offer my apologies that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us.

We are located in Motel Village that is known for its variety of hotels, within close proximity to restaurants, the University of Calgary, Foothills Hospital, the Alberta Children’s Hospital, and is located directly on the LRT line.

I’m glad that you brought this issue with your room to our attention and I’m glad we were able to switch your room. Our 3 efficiency suites, that are located in the tower section of the hotel, are at the end of each hallway, because they are larger than our standard room. Our room rates are based on a number of factors, availability, amenities, supply and demand. The management would love to discuss your concerns with the rate.

Our Bright Starts breakfast is a breakfast, yet a fantastic way to start your day. We have – 3 different varieties of cereal, 3 different kinds of bread, 3 different types of muffins, and 3 different Danishes. We also offer coffee, tea, juice, and seasonal fruit. The breakfast we offer is above the Econo lodge brand standards for breakfast

Again, please feel free to contact us; we can be reached (403) 289-1921 or econobanfftrail@shaw.ca

British Columbia
Reviewed February 12, 2012

After booking a room online (through a third party) I mistakenly booked a smoking room and Loreta at the front desk had zero customer service when she informed us we had to pay an extra $10 to switch. The room prices were identical, it was a Sunday with few guests but Loreta hid behind "policy" and has lost our business at any Econo Lodge forever. I have been to 25 countries and this is the worst front desk experience in my life.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business