“Great value hotel - no complaints at all”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University
Ranked #79 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed December 23, 2011

This was my second stay in this hotel. It is an unpretentious, great value place to stay. The rooms are comfortable if ordinary. Too many hotels in Calgary are overpriced to begin with then you get dinged extra for parking, wifi, breakfast, etc. Here, it's all included. Sure, the breakfast is basic, but it is what I'd be eating at home though: cereal, toast, coffee, yogurt, fruit.

I had a rental car so getting where I needed downtown wasn't an issue. It's too far to walk, but I believe there is an LRT nearby.

Go to Big T's restaurant nearby for BBQ/southern food. Awesome.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Ukelele67
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Hello!

I'm so glad you took the time to write us a review!

Providing the essentials to our guests is our top priority. Our breakfast and our other amenities are the perfect option for people looking to get the best value for their money.

You are correct, there is an LRT station less than a block away.

Big T's is okay, next time you're in town I highly recommend you check out, Nicks Steak House!

Thank you for making us your Choice Hotel.

Sales and Marketing Department
EconoLodge Inn & Suites University

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stay at the Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University in Calgary several times a year for 40 days or more in any year. Our experiences have always been excellent. We find the staff all to be extremely helpful and we always get the support we need. The breakfasts are very good and the hotel amenities are great. We enjoy the pool. Although we have not used the exercise room to any extent it is great. The rooms are very nicely appointed and the housekeeping is excellent. Parking is good and on those snowy Calgary days there is covered parking available. It is a quick walk to the C-Train. We cannot overstate how much we always enjoy our stay. It is like a home away from home for us.

Room Tip: Get a room in the tower.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Hello!

Thank you so much for going out of your way to write us a review on TripAdvisor!

We are so glad that you enjoy staying with us!We certainly enjoy having you here.

Hope to see you more!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

We decided to get a cheaper motel room here since we were only in town for one night to go to a Calgary Flames game and were looking for a place to sleep and cook a meal.

I had booked a kitchenette room and they thought they were doing us a favor by putting us in one of the newer rooms, which are nicer, but it did not have a kitchen, so really that was of no help to us. Once we switched to get the room we had booked with our kitchen, it was in the older building with outside access. The walls were paper-thin and we could hear everything our neighbours next door were talking about.

We got back at midnight and it was chilly out. The heater in our room did not work and we could have called front desk, but fell asleep waiting to see if it would kick in. Upon further inspection, when we woke up the next day, someone had pulled our radiator apart and left it in disrepair. Why book a room out to people if clearly it's unacceptable for someone to sleep in?

The next day at check-out the girl on front desk was very rude. We were checking out and there was a slight technical issue that happened when processing our payment. Rather than just retaking our payment and moving on, she went on and on about our credit card, which really is none of her business and worked fine upon the second try. Had we been someone with issues making a payment, it could have been quite embarrassing. She then proceeded to accept a phone call from housekeeping where she talked about us, with us standing right there at the desk, which was quite apparent because she stopped everything she was doing to take this call.

Continental breakfast consisted of sugar-filled muffins, danishes, cereal or toast- no healthy choices to pick from. I feel like we would have had a more wholesome breakfast at the McDonald's around the corner.

Upon getting home from our trip, I realized my watch went missing. Wanting to check to make sure it wasn't left behind at the hotel, I called and asked if anything had been turned in. I was told it was not. I asked "can I leave you my phone number in case anything turns up?" and the reply I got was "well I could make a note and write it down, but notes get lost around here...best to keep calling back." What sort of customer service is that? I work in the hospitality industry and our resorts keep customer information like phone numbers on file.

Our advice: splurge on a hotel that may cost a little bit extra, stay anywhere but here- it is worth it in both product and service!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MECTraveller
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay.

We apologize that your stay did not go as expected. We attempted to fulfill a request made on the original reservation, so we gave you a complimentary upgrade into our newer tower section

All pre-paid credit cards must be properly registered online in order for a payment to process. The technical issue described in this review, happened because of multiple improperly set up pre-paid credit card.

If any guest finds that something in their room is not in working condition, we encourage all guests to call the front desk as soon as possible so we can resolve the issue for you, more often than not, any issue in any hotel can be resolved in less than 5 minutes.

Our complimentary bright starts breakfast includes three different kinds of bread – white, whole wheat, and raisin. We have an assortment of danishes, muffins and cereal, coffee, tea, and juice, as well as an assortment of seasonal fruit.

If you would like to discuss your complaint further, please contact our general manager Zeenat Ladak – 1(403)289-1921 ext. 4050 or zeenatladakecono@shaw.ca
Thanks again.

Reviewed October 20, 2011

We satyed ther two nights on our roundtrip.
The room is good and the price is quite reasonable. The trains to the city is five minutes walking from the motel and not far from shops. Also the breakfast was (for a motel) good.
So we enjoied our stay there

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ariellahdw
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Thank you for your feed back!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Rory Siddall
Sales and Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed 2 nights in this Econo Lodge and plan to return for a third. Based on previous reviews we requested a room away from the train. It was very quiet in general (off-season for travel in October). We moved to the top floor after the first night as there was minimal foot traffic overhead. But it didn't keep us up.

The hotel is in a good location, in kind of a hotel row, and offers free parking. The fitness center is excellent. 1 treadmill, 1 bicycle, 1 eliptical machine - all new - with TV & fitness ball & mats. It is very clean & well-lit, overlooking the pool. Hours are until 10 p.m. The pool is beautiful, all done in yellow & blue. The jacuzzi is decent size but wasn't particularly warm. Even though it doesn't have weights, etc., it is one of the most inviting fitness centers I have seen in my travels.

Beds are normal & don't have pillow tops (which is great as I detest softish beds). The rooms are aging, as some mentioned, but well decorated. Coffee in-room.

One of my favorite things about the hotel was the decor. The walls & colors would make any luxury New York hotel proud. In fact, better than some hotels there. The walls of the rooms, fitness center, and pool, were so well decorated that it made the hotel seem a much higher grade than it is. I loved the decor.

The reason I didn't give the hotel 5 stars was for a couple cleanliness issues which were unusual. Though the rest of the room appeared spotless, the corners of the showers had a bit of black mold which needed removing. The coffee makers also needed cleaning. But overall, everything smelled normal & not old, sheets & all were clean, and the rooms were very inviting.

Also, breakfast had no protein except peanut butter; offered only red delicious apples, no other fruit. In any case, hotel is a short walk from Denny's (where is another Econo Lodge, it appears) & McDonalds.

We are planning to return next week and I will make this my favorite hotel in Calgary. Good price for what you get & we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Request top floor, away from train.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelPixels
EconoInnsSuites, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Hello

Thank you so much for your fantastic comments! It makes us so happy when someone takes the time to write a review for us to tell us what we are doing right, and what we can improve upon. I showed your comment about the mold to our head housekeeping, and she is going to make sure that it doesn’t happen again.
If there is anything else I can do for you, let me know.

Rory Siddall
Sales and Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed September 22, 2011

It's like the old adage "You get what you pay for". I am in a kitchenette suite with a weekly rate. I'm not overjoyed but it's OK.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike F
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Wow - where to start. The location is in the University District, which seems to translate to noisy students and a poor night's sleep. The property is run down, the beds are terrible, the rooms are poorly stocked with coffee, laundry bags, etc.,the staff is badly trained and not particularly helpful. The rooms are dirty and smelly. While we don't usually expect much from the free breakfasts, the offering was just pitiful and slightly stale. Additionally, it's only offered for two hours, so they don't make any attempt to be flexible for a traveler's schedule. We asked one particular employee for a decaf coffee package for our room, and she seemed to be seriously angered by the request, and gave us dirty looks every time we saw her from that point forward. We are nice people, and are always polite with our requests, so this behavior was totally unwarranted.

You couldn't pay me to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DickandJane
EconoInnsSuites, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites University, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and you can be rest assured that the respective departments have been notified of your concerns. We use these comments as an opportunity to improve.
Our complimentary breakfast is served from 7:00am to 10:00am and the time is posted at the front desk as well as on the room key envelope. Our premises are patrolled regularly by hotel staff and we take noise complaints very seriously. Our front desk is manned 24 hours a day and we encourage our guests to bring any concerns to our attention so they can be resolved in a timely manner.
We are pleased to note that we are the recipient of AHLA housekeeping award 3 years in a row. Once again I thank you for your comments and hope that we get another opportunity to serve you to restore your faith in us.