“Relaxing stay and friendly staff”

Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Arriving early I found out I had a bit of a wait for my room. I had lunch in the restaurant. Food there was basic but tasty and reasonably priced. Especially the breakfast buffet. Great deal. Then they stored my baggage while I went for a walk in the area. A couple of malls close buy 1 a quick C Train ride away the other you could walk to in about 10 minutes. Once I got into my room I found it to be very nice and clean. No problems found and especially after ready abour problems on here. I had booked a car for the next day and got a ride to pick it up from the hotel shuttle. Once with a car I found getting out to head East or west was quite easy from my location. Front desk staff was friendly and helpfull with directions and recomendations. And dining room evening staff was very helpfull. Especially One girl in the evenings whose name escapes me but it started with D. She was Pleasant to talk to very friendly and very quick with the service as well.
One down thing to keep in mind the menu choices are very plain and simple. Room service I didn't try but found out they are in the middle of changing that menu, I still had an old room service menu and didn't know or see the new one.
You are only a 5 minute drive to the Zoo and 10 minutes from downtown. Both direct routes so easy to find and get to. I would highly recommend the Zoo.
All in all I would give this hotel a 31/2 out of 5 for a rating moving to a 4 with an improved menu selection.
And would gladly stay here again. And recommend it to anyone.
Also never did try the pool but it wasn't large but was indoors and looked inviting.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank gunnerj
There are newer reviews for Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre

Reviewed April 19, 2008

While doing a roadshow in Canada we had the misfortune of being booked into this hotel. Now the hotel itself wasn't that bad, though was way over priced compared to other higher rated hotels in Canada, but the staff on the front desk were shocking. The one gentleman on the front desk did his best to assist but the two girls had absolutely no idea how to handle guests. Rooms were not ready, then they were, only to be unavailable 2 minutes later. Unless you were an airline staff member - then rooms suddenly became available.

You were not told which elevators to take to get to your rooms, leaving several of our group going to the wrong area, items that had been pre-sent to this hotel for our show that night were not delivered to us, and we had to chase up several times. Bell boys did not have the same information as the front desk staff, and in fact argued in front of the guests.

The conference facilities were ok, excpet that the food for dinner is delivered through the conference rooms while you are presenting! Totally unprofessional and embarrasing. If there had of been a chance to get a flight out after our show that night to Vancouver - then this hotel would have lost 10 bookings. Now all of our group are hoteliers or senior managers at resorts and the one thing we all got from this hotel was how not to treat our own guests.

We will not be back and have advised our wholesale agents in Canada and the US not to use this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2007

Book a "premium" room for a higher floor and perhaps a better range of amenities. My 12th floor corner room was spacious and had a few upscale touches- a wide variety of bathroom amenities, an inexhaustible supply of bottled water and chocolate mints, a paperback Calgary guidebook, and a business centre on the desk with paperclips, highlighter, etc. Internet access was free, fast and easy- although you need to bring your own ethernet cable. My floor was very quiet. Plenty of outdoor parking close to the doors, many with block heater plugs.

My keycard didn't work on two of the 4 nights I stayed- although the front desk staff were apologetic over my extra elevator trips. No problems with their speed or courtesy.

Tried the restaurant one night- the food wasn't bad, but the service was a little slow even though they were not busy.

The bathroom needed attention- the water pressure from the shower was poor. Nothing worse than a cold, miserable shower when it's 20 below outside. (Poor showers seems to be a Coast trademark?) The scuffed and stained tub needed refinishing, and the mildewed rubber bathmat they provided was offputting.

Not a whole lot except for fast food within walking distance- but in most cases you'd be foolish to visit a sprawling Western Canada city (any of them!) without a rental car!

On the whole the little upscale touches outweigh the dated bathroom, and I'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Brian1202
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We were worried after reading some reviews here but were happy when we got there. The staff were friendly. We stayed on the 12 floor in a nice sized room. The restaurant was excellent. The hotel was close to tons of restuarant (olive garden, the keg, red lobster), to name a few. Great time and will be back next stay in calgary.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank destiny2
Reviewed August 3, 2007

Stayed for 3 nights on a recent roadtrip from Calgary to Vancouver.

Booked through a promotional special which included complete buffet breakfast at a great price for summer in Calgary.

After reading some of the reviews here, I was a little worried about the location, age, and condition of the hotel. From the outside, the building does look like a typical 1970's highrise hotel. On the inside, some areas do seem a little dated, but it is generally in good condition and very clean.

The room was well appointed and comfortable.

The full buffet breakfast was wonderful - better than some complete 'Sunday Brunches' I have had in the past. Great variety and reasonable food quality - for an included breakfast, it's among the best I've had.

If your primary reason for staying in Calgary is to be downtown, this hotel probably isn't for you. But for general 'in and around' Calgary (eg. Drumheller trip, UofC, Olympic Park, etc.) it's not a bad location.

Any complaints? Only a couple of minor things.... We tried to use the swimming pool one evening and it was VERY cold.... So we thought we'd use the hot-tub, but it was closed for maintenance. And the ice machine on the 7th floor was slow, but other floors were fine.

For me, the Coast Plaza was a great choice.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2007

A large group of us stayed at this hotel for two nights in January and received a fair group rate. The hotel is located somewhat near the airport and is quite far from downtown Calgary. The staff were accommodating, the rooms were a decent size, nicely decorated, and very clean. The hotel has many amenities including a pool, hot tub, gift shop, bar, atm machines, and so on. The hotel restaurant serves a very reasonable and good breakfast buffet although any other meal here would be average at best. There are other restaurants in the area within driving distance such as The Keg and The Olive Garden, and some fast food options which are a little closer to the hotel. The hotel is also a conference center so it can become extremely busy and at times it was quite loud on our floor. If one must stay in this area of the city, this hotel would be a fine choice although there are a lot of other very good hotel options in the vicinity.

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank BT-Travels
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Booked here by company for brief overnight stay.

Checkin was efficient, if somewhat aloof, service-wise... Once we headed for our rooms, the elevators were first clue to an overall "showing age" theme that would prevail. Our arrival in the hall was met first by the smell of old food and then a hallway with several old dinner trays laying about (on older carpets). I know these will often sit for a bit, but the smell gave evidence that they'd been sitting there longer than good service would dictate.

The room is probably the area of the hotel showing most age. While clean, the bed is very firm, and blankets remind one of the old 70s highway motels... paper-thin. In an era when most hotels are going to pillowtop mattresses and thick duvets with matching quality pillows, this hotel will suffer rapidly due to it's bedding alone.

The TV was also small, although housed in a large cabinet. The desk was sufficient for most business type uses, but nothing special.

I found the bathroom undersized as well, the toilet lid was falling off and the toiletries seemed to follow the same 70's chintz theme.

As other guests have said, the hotel is fairly far from anything other than McDonald's or a small strip mall. That said, the hotel bus drivers were very friendly and willing to both drop me off and pick me up from a nearby bix box store area (tip accordingly).

As for the hotel itself, you will do far better with any Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton, Country Inn, Staybridge, etc.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business