“Above and beyond”

Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Ab
“Above and beyond”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Super comfortable room, although small. Many amenities that make it feel just like home. They even leave fresh cookies in your room for an evening snack. And super, I mean super clean. Needless to say, we loved staying here and will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travellersupreme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Korean first
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We visited the Calgary Stampede this year and friends of ours recommended this hotel as it was within easy reach of the Stampede. I would imagine that prices are far higher in Stampede week than normal and as a result some of the scoring with regard to value for money is as a result of this.

First of all the hotel is comfortable, we had a nice room with an excellent shower so were very happy in this respect. We had breakfast included in the rate and this on reflection may have been a mistake as a la carte seems to be the North American way. Apart from not being able to get coffee strong enough for European tastes ( a fault in almost every establishment we went to) I would say breakfast was average. We didn't eat in the main restaurant, but our friends did tell us that it did a good evening meal.

The only downer was on the last morning when a clearly tired waitress was less than her normal charming self. I tried to sympathise with her saying she must be glad the stampede week was over and things would calm down again and got short shrift!

If you need a reasonable hotel within reach of the city centre and for less than $120 per night (Thats what it's worth) than this is a good place. If you need to be near the airport then this is about 45 minutes away.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Awislon
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We had a lovely stay at this hotel. As a family with two small children who were at the end of a two-week, three-province adventure we were literally at the end of our rope and not expecting anything from this hotel. We were however, VERY pleasantly surprised. The front desk staff were so friendly and helpful, they even give out complimentary "women's bags" filled with bath salts and shower gel etc. Within minutes of arriving, there was a knock at our door, and the kids received a bag of cookies from the bakery in the lobby! In our welcome package, we also received a complimentary drink ticket for the lounge as well as breakfast buffet vouchers for the next morning. Although it is an older hotel, they have done tasteful renovations and guests feel very comfortable there. The hotel is in a great area for restaurants and access to shopping. I loved that Starbucks was directly across the street! We were visiting family and they took us to "Jack Astor's" for dinner which was a minute down the road. It has a "Cactus Club" feel and serves the most amazing chicken fingers! The clincher for staying here is that The Carriage House is listed in the recommended hotel section in the Entertainment Book. The rate ended up being only $123.00 per night! Compared to some of the other hotels we stayed in on our trip, this one was a gem and definitely worth seeking out.

Room Tip: Use the Entertainment Book, if you have it!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kerry183462
melbourne, australia
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed in a number of places in Canada and this was by far the worst. From the moment we arrived the reception staff couldn't be bothered, they just went through the motions and showed us the room, but there was no friendliness or effort behind their actions, we were just a number. The place was fairly rundown and in the middle of no-where, along a long highway in the midst of an enormous industrial and commercial area, outlets and malls or either side of the road. It was a good 15-20 minute drive into Calgary and even then there was nothing to see or do in the place. Maybe it comes alive during the Calgary Stampede, but at all other times it is a dead and boring city.
The room was small and probably had seen better days, even though the bed itself was comfortable. It apparently is a centre for celebrations there was a wedding and large party on over the weekend and there were strange characters around then, some of who had to be escorted off by the hotel security guards.
The room included breakfast which was good, but when the restaurant was useless, we wanted something to eat at night but it closes early and the only thing open was a bar out the back with fried food.
On checking out they didn't want to return the cfredit card imprint that I left with them even though I paid with another card. When I wanted to take this up with the manager I as told that he was not in, nor was the assistant manager, and I would have to trust them. Again the reception staff I found rude and very stand-offish. I would definitely not recomend this place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jokerana
London
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel is located a few miles south of downtown on the MacLeod Trail. The service was efficient and helpful and nothing was too much bother. There is a $20 flat fee to ride in the taxi from the airport (YYC) - you need to phone the number the hotel gives you and on arrival they will pay the rest of the fare (in total, around $45). The same on return. Free Wifi, together with a reasonable room rate make this a very good value hotel. I was also pleased with the fridge in the room. The hotel is within 50 minutes' walk of local synagogues and 15 minutes' walk from Heritage Station on the C train which will take you downtown in 15 minutes for $2.75.

Room Tip: South facing and higher than floor 5
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank RoyalSilk
edmonton canada
Reviewed March 31, 2011

The stay was in conjunction with a conference that took place at the hotel, so I hadn't expected much in the way of room comfort, but I was pleasantly surprised on how well the rooms were appointed and how comfortable the beds were to sleep in.

Upon check-in I was first placed in a room beside the elevator however the front desk was quick to switch my room to one that was down the hall after I had pointed out my initial displeasure about the first room's location.

The hotel staff was very accommodating and pleasant and in general the hotel provided all the amenities and services required for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank global_pov
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I am a frequent business traveler and was attending a wedding based out of this property. This is a tired run down 70's era motel. I checked into my upscale room 30 buck more than a regular room. The first thing I noticed was one of the 2 elevators was out of service. In a 10 story hotel this is a bit of a problem. When I finally got to my room which was the size of a walk in closet. I called the desk to ask for a few extra pillows. I was informed that the pillows were kept under lock and key and the head housekeeper left at 4 pm, so their was nothing they could do. After a few unkind words with the MOD their were two extra pillows on my bed when I returned from dinner. This is a tired old property that is worth about 69 bucks a nite. It has past its prime and their are some much nicer hotels in the neighborhood

• Stayed March 2011