“Nice rooms; get your reservation in writing”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Carriage House Inn

Carriage House Inn
Ranked #29 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Victoria, Canada
“Nice rooms; get your reservation in writing”
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Stayed for two nights, associated with a conference. Made the original booking by phone in July but did not think to request (and was not offered) a written confirmation. I did get a reservation code, however. When I arrived the desk clerk verified that the first night's accommodation would be paid by the conference because I was a speaker, and the second night would be billed to my credit card, which was exactly what I expected. However, after the first night I received an invoice under my door stating that my stay was ending that day. When I checked at 8:30 a.m. with the front desk, they had no record of the second night's reservation.

Because of the conference and other bookings, the only available rooms were two smoking rooms (yecch) or a non-smoking executive suite at more than double the price of the current room... the desk clerk offered to arrange to have one of the smoking rooms "fogged." I was less than delighted with these options, but booked the suite. The desk staff assured me that our luggage would be transferred to the new room; all we needed to do was pack up and leave the luggage in the room.

When I checked back with the front desk at 11:45 a.m. they checked with their housekeeping staff to see whether the room was ready. It wasn't; they said it would be ready in 15 minutes. I went to the room at 12:15 -- half an hour later -- and there was still someone in it, apparently cleaning.

I left a key at the desk for my husband to pick up later in the day. He came in around 4:00, picked up the key, and found that the luggage hadn't been transferred. He had to call the front desk to get the luggage moved to the new room. The suite was next door to our original room.

The rooms were very pleasant -- quiet, clean, well-appointed. The suite had a jetted tub (most of the instructions on the control panel were in French, though) and a separate sleeping area with sliding doors. Wired Internet service worked in the room, but there was no network cable in the suite; wireless wasn't available. A nice extra touch were the cookies left in the room. However, a room service tray with dishes, linens and food scraps that was present on the floor in front of the ice machine in the elevator lobby on our floor when we arrived in the hotel at 4:00 on Wednesday was still on the floor (and added to with other room service trays) when we left near noon on Friday.

Another thing to note: this property is significantly under-served by elevators: there are only two to serve a ten-storey tower plus a lower second wing. During a conference, in which many delegates are staying in the property, it was common to have to wait five minutes or more for an elevator during peak times. It also appears that there is no secondary elevator for staff in the tower (there is one in the lower wing) as I saw staff with laundry bins, etc., waiting for the elevators on various floors; staff were gracious in freeing up elevators for customers, however.

All in all, I'd think twice about staying here again during a conference, and would definitely get a written confirmation of my reservation.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The foul-up with the reservation
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank alphabetkid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
Ft Myers Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights while at a funeral. We were very happy with it. They have a bakery in the lobby and a restaurant where we had 2 breakfasts. We had no complaints.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Canuckiameh
Vernon, BC
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We stayed here on our wedding night and were not impressed. We were booked into the one of the suites as a gift from a relative. When we arrived, at about 8:30pm, dressed in our wedding attire, the front desk agent greeted us rather rudely, telling us, "Nice of you to show up..." As we had obviously just come from our own wedding we were taken aback by this comment, we thought we were arriving rather early all things considered.

When we arrived in our room, I must admit, it was huge. The hotel itself is rather outdated, and could use some renovation. There was a large dalmation dog sculture that was placed facing the bed, we thought that was odd. The bed and bedding were below average in my opinion. At this time the hotel did not offer room service after 10pm, I do not know if this had changed since.

In the morning we ordered room service and it was delivered, but they had gotten our order wrong.

After relaying our concerns to the party who booked the room for us, she wrote a letter to the hotel, voicing our complaints. She never recieved a reply.

• Stayed February 2003, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrissT
Picture Butte, AB
Reviewed April 2, 2006

Stayed here when my husband was in a hospital nearby. Was first booked into the Best Western but they overbooked and could only offer a smoking room. At first I was a bit put off by the appearance of the lobby - could use an upgrade. Carpet on the floor of the elevator was dirty, overall appearance a little run down. But I was pleasantly surprised by the room - a little on the small side but recently upgraded, clean, new carpet and furnishings, marble bathroom, nice toiletries. Best part was that it was quiet - couldn't here anything from the rooms next door, likely because the hotel is older and more well insulated than the newer, cheaply constructed hotels. Staff was accomodating considering my situation (we weren't sure when my husband would be discharged). Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank mom_in_butte
Northern CA
Reviewed July 5, 2005

After reading the reviews and visiting the hotel's website, we were disappointed with our stay at this hotel. The spa is in the basement, in a tiny room with no windows. The pool is right out by the street. Our room is on the 2nd floor, with a view of the roof and a/c systems, not very lovely. The maid woke us up at 8:20am with the vacuum in the neighboring room.

However, the room is nice and adequately furnished. There's internet access in each room, too. The beds and pillows are comfortable, and the sheets are soft. They also provided a nice porta-crib for our toddler.

It's fine but we missed the "specialness" that others mentioned.

Stayed July 2005
8 Thank CAFamily
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2005

The satff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. The Sunday brunch is out of this world! So much to choose from and as much as you can eat. The room was clean and plenty big enough to spread out in. We were carless at this point and it was only a ten minute walk to catch the c-train into the centre.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Edmonton
Reviewed February 12, 2004

I really enjoyed my stay at Calgary's Carriage House Inn! It is by far excellent value for the small amount of money you are paying. It has a lovely, large, deep outdoor pool. It is very nice in the summer. The recently renovated rooms, with opening windows are lovely. There is also stunning cherrywood furniture, offset by a goregous granite and marble bathroom. There is little closet space, although, there is a nice large armoire, which is just as good. The owner, a senior man, is quite often sitting in the lobby, chatting among hotel guests, and he is very friendly, watching over his wonderful operation. Overall, the Carriage House Inn is a 5 STAR hotel!! :>

9 Thank ParkAvenueUltra