“Great Place”

Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Place”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We arrived on Thursday and I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. They have an excellent restaurant. As a matter of the fast the few days we stayed there we ate entirely at this restaurant. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. It is very easy to get to and pretty much close to everything.

I would definitely stay again and would definetly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Linda2455

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
Victoria
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is in a rather odd location, middle of a light industrial area, but handy to all major roadways to get to every area of the city fairly quickly. Their is a very large indoor mall a five minute drive away.

The first two floors have been renovated, we were on the fifth floor and even though not renovated was still clean and modern. The beds were very comfortable but came with a very warm quilt that would have been fine but only if the room was very cold. Once I changed that out for a blanket it was fine. The heating system worked well and was very unobtrusive. The window does open but the road noise precludes having them open at night.

The hotel staff from doorman to front desk to restraunt were excellent without fail.

The restraunt was quite good for breakfast with a buffet or a la carte menu. We also went for the dinner buffet but it was just average.

The comedy club that is in the hotel was excellent value and entertainment.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mo32a
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thanks for the positive review! I really like your comments about our location and am glad you agree that it may be a bit "odd" because of the industrial area, but there are a lot of characteristics that make it more awesome than not.

We regret that you caught the buffet on an off-night, but it is constantly changing and hopefully you'll return on a night that it will change your opinion irrevocably.
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is undergoing renovations currently, so if you don't mind, it's fine to stay there. The floors we stayed on hadn't been updated yet, so I think the hotel still has a long way to go to complete full refurbishment of their rooms. However, having said that, the un-updated room I had was fine - in a typical Holiday Inn Express way. It was clean so I was happy.

The hotel is not located downtown but it was still convenient if you had a car - it is only about a 10 minute drive to downtown. There is an Enterprise car rental place right opposite. Taxi from airport to hotel is about $45.

I was generally quite happy staying here. The hotel has a restaurant and bar and all employees were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lovetotravelhk
Thanks for the review! I think you'll love the renovated rooms. I would also like to point out, and I apologize nobody mentioned this at the time, that we have a subsidized sedan service for airport travel for $40.00 each way. That includes tip and tax. Hopefully next time we can set you up.

One more thing, 82 reviews in 48 cities is impressive! Wow!
Laguna Beach, CA
Reviewed August 30, 2012

When I realized our hotel was in an industrial district, I was disappointed. The disappointment immediately stopped due to the concierge’s help even before we arrived at the Blackfoot. A driver was at the airport to meet us on time and with the sign that made him easy to spot. We could not have had a better time from beginning to end. The view of the city both during the day and night was beautiful. The bed was great. I want a pillow to take home!. Every one of the employees seemed exceptional, but the concierge, Dan Brook was so far above and beyond anything we could have expected. Our travel companions and we were almost arguing about which person had helped us the most.

The room was spotless and included a comfortable sofa and chair and wireless internet. We asked to be sure there was a refrigerator and microwave. Everything was done that we asked and far more.

The staff has cookies at the front desk which makes registration even better. The sauna and steamroom were definitely a bonus after a day of sightseeing.

We were helped with reservations with tours, taxis, restaurants with an amazingly positive attitude. We could not have had a better experience.

Room Tip: Ask for help from the concierge ahead of time.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ljsimpson
Drumheller, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Blackfoot Inn had graciously offered to host a bar-b-q for our wine club. My husband and I had decided that we'd spend the night in the Inn rather than drive home. We found the staff to be very courteous. Check in and check out were a breeze. Our king-size deluxe room was comfortable and clean and was conveniently located on the ground floor. We were at the extreme end of the hall so hallway traffic/noise was not a factor in our stay.
The Bar-b-q was in the pool area and closed to other guests for our private function. The food was amazing! The waiting staff and chefs were very professional and prompt with their service. Special KUDOS go to chef Jason Pederson. There was a set menu for our bar-b-q but it didn't include dessert. Our table of four asked Jason if he could prepare us a little 'something sweet' for dessert and he came up with a perfect little creme caramel dessert. It was a perfect ending to a perfect evening. Plus, there was no extra charge for that 'extra' to our meal. Thank you, again, Jason! The next morning we had the buffet breakfast and while it was good, it was also a tad expensive, ($50 tab for two).
All in all it was a nice stay. Would we stay again? Possibly. Is it good value for the money? Only if you got a deal. We didn't get a room deal, but we've stayed in enough hotels/inns to know that the price they asked for the room is pretty much standard, and I think we can all agree that the standard room prices in Alberta are a bit high anyway. I guess the biggest impression for my husband and me was not the room or the 'trimmings' of the hotel but the staff. We both demand good, courteous service and the night we stayed at the Blackfoot Inn, we got that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank twistedsister1957
Vegreville, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hotel staff very friendly. Bought zoo pacage for family vacation which was very reasonable. Package included room 4 tickets to the zoo 40 food credit in room movie and pop and popcorn for four. Zoo is only 10 minutes away and very easy to get there. Only bad thing is resturant is a little pricey and no kids menu. Ordering off the regular menu for two small kids not worth the price.Would stay again. Zoo package worth the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin K
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

3 nights stay were given to us by my Mother as a gift, $89 a night and that included a $50 breakfast credit (which you DEFINATELY needed, more on that later) and was supposed to have comedy club tickets. Since we were travelling with a child we weren`t able to use the tickets (even so no show on Sunday so saying tickets were included was pointless in the offer) and no substitution was offered.

The One Good Point: My Aunt dropped off an envelope at the front desk and the person was sure to ask me for ID to make sure it was given to the right person, same thing when I left the envelope to go back to my Aunt.

Before even arriving at the Blackfoot Inn I called 3 times trying to guaruntee a fridge and microwave in our room. I explained we have a 4 year old child with a disability and if he has bad days we wouldn't be leaving the room so we would need to have food availble. I have my own microwave and would have borrowed a minifridge to bring along if I could get a stright yes or no, but I didn't want to drive around with them in the car for no reason. Each time I was told I would have to wait and see until we arrived, which leaves me to wonder if a disability isn't a good enough reason to have a fridge/microwave what is? Thankfully they were in the room, however I could have done without the worrying beforehand.

The 1st impression of the Inn is it has seen better days. The entry doors are in need of stain, there is a massive gash in the elevator wall, it feels outdated. The grout in the bathroom tiles was various shades of grey to black making me wonder if it was mildew. The 1st morning we got to listen to the ultra loud vaccumn over our heads for the better part of half an hour at 9:30am. The blankets on the bed included one comforter with a cover that was on in a weird fashion that we thought it may have been another blanket, and one sheet. The bed was a typical solid hotel mattress that isn`t plesant to sleep on but is better than the floor.

I realize the resteraunt in the hotel isn`t owned by the hotel however do not plan to eat there if you`re on any kind of budget. 3 pancakes with no sides at all will cost you $10.00, a side of bacon is $4.00. If you want the breakfast buffet that is close to $18 each (kids under 5 eat free with an adult buffet at least) and not available on Sundays when it is brunch (didn`t even ask how much that cost since it wasn`t valid with out credit). As I said we had a $50.00 credit with our groupon, we came very close to using all of it the 2 mornings we stayed with just two people and a 4yr old. The food was as respectable as a Smitty`s at over double the price.The service was prompt and helpful which was the only saving grace.

The window of our room was directly above the swimming pool. The pool has no slides or anything to really entertain children which was a let down. In the mornings a group of syncronized swimmers used it for practice. The day we left early it had been booked for a large and very loud party. We had returned from Drumheller with a 4yr old in desperate need of a nap to our room pulsating with the sound of base, music, and shrieking and hollaring of people running around the pool in skimpy bikinis. There was a Dj set up with huge speakers blaring music. This was FIVE (5pm) IN THE AFTERNOON ON A SUNDAY!! I called the front desk and they said at 7pm they would be asking them to turn the music down. Considering the type of music it would have to be virtually off for the base to stop shaking the walls. I have never heard of a party goer with a volume knob either, pretty sure they were drinking so good luck convincing them to keep it down.

By 5:30p I had a raging migraine and my child was upset to the point of tantrum so we decided to leave a night early and drive almost 6hrs (we have a child who needs frequent breaks) home rather than put up with the racket of the party downstairs and the more than likely chance those people would be spending the night and carrying on the party in the halls and joining rooms all night.

I spoke to the manager at the desk who pretty much just said they`d cover the taxes, he didn`t provide me with a reciept though so here is hoping they do not ding my credit card. Not once when I spoke to front desk did they offer to move our room or apologize for a racket, they simply said the volume would be turned down at 7pm meaning for 2hrs we would be stuck in unbearable racket.

I would NEVER reccomend staying here to anyone, even people who did want to drink and party all night because chances are there would be another party booked the next day to drive you out of your sleep. I have stayed many places with sketchier reviews and had a wonderful stay, the Blackfoot Inn which tries to promote itself as a upscale place fails miserably at making a stay plesant from the 1st request before you arrive.

Room Tip: Avoid the side by the pool as it is often booked for private functions which involved music being bl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family