“An enjoyable over-nighter”
Review of Hotel Blackfoot

Hotel Blackfoot
Ranked #21 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Blackfoot Inn had graciously offered to host a bar-b-q for our wine club. My husband and I had decided that we'd spend the night in the Inn rather than drive home. We found the staff to be very courteous. Check in and check out were a breeze. Our king-size deluxe room was comfortable and clean and was conveniently located on the ground floor. We were at the extreme end of the hall so hallway traffic/noise was not a factor in our stay.
The Bar-b-q was in the pool area and closed to other guests for our private function. The food was amazing! The waiting staff and chefs were very professional and prompt with their service. Special KUDOS go to chef Jason Pederson. There was a set menu for our bar-b-q but it didn't include dessert. Our table of four asked Jason if he could prepare us a little 'something sweet' for dessert and he came up with a perfect little creme caramel dessert. It was a perfect ending to a perfect evening. Plus, there was no extra charge for that 'extra' to our meal. Thank you, again, Jason! The next morning we had the buffet breakfast and while it was good, it was also a tad expensive, ($50 tab for two).
All in all it was a nice stay. Would we stay again? Possibly. Is it good value for the money? Only if you got a deal. We didn't get a room deal, but we've stayed in enough hotels/inns to know that the price they asked for the room is pretty much standard, and I think we can all agree that the standard room prices in Alberta are a bit high anyway. I guess the biggest impression for my husband and me was not the room or the 'trimmings' of the hotel but the staff. We both demand good, courteous service and the night we stayed at the Blackfoot Inn, we got that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twistedsister1957

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hotel staff very friendly. Bought zoo pacage for family vacation which was very reasonable. Package included room 4 tickets to the zoo 40 food credit in room movie and pop and popcorn for four. Zoo is only 10 minutes away and very easy to get there. Only bad thing is resturant is a little pricey and no kids menu. Ordering off the regular menu for two small kids not worth the price.Would stay again. Zoo package worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin K
Reviewed August 23, 2012

3 nights stay were given to us by my Mother as a gift, $89 a night and that included a $50 breakfast credit (which you DEFINATELY needed, more on that later) and was supposed to have comedy club tickets. Since we were travelling with a child we weren`t able to use the tickets (even so no show on Sunday so saying tickets were included was pointless in the offer) and no substitution was offered.

The One Good Point: My Aunt dropped off an envelope at the front desk and the person was sure to ask me for ID to make sure it was given to the right person, same thing when I left the envelope to go back to my Aunt.

Before even arriving at the Blackfoot Inn I called 3 times trying to guaruntee a fridge and microwave in our room. I explained we have a 4 year old child with a disability and if he has bad days we wouldn't be leaving the room so we would need to have food availble. I have my own microwave and would have borrowed a minifridge to bring along if I could get a stright yes or no, but I didn't want to drive around with them in the car for no reason. Each time I was told I would have to wait and see until we arrived, which leaves me to wonder if a disability isn't a good enough reason to have a fridge/microwave what is? Thankfully they were in the room, however I could have done without the worrying beforehand.

The 1st impression of the Inn is it has seen better days. The entry doors are in need of stain, there is a massive gash in the elevator wall, it feels outdated. The grout in the bathroom tiles was various shades of grey to black making me wonder if it was mildew. The 1st morning we got to listen to the ultra loud vaccumn over our heads for the better part of half an hour at 9:30am. The blankets on the bed included one comforter with a cover that was on in a weird fashion that we thought it may have been another blanket, and one sheet. The bed was a typical solid hotel mattress that isn`t plesant to sleep on but is better than the floor.

I realize the resteraunt in the hotel isn`t owned by the hotel however do not plan to eat there if you`re on any kind of budget. 3 pancakes with no sides at all will cost you $10.00, a side of bacon is $4.00. If you want the breakfast buffet that is close to $18 each (kids under 5 eat free with an adult buffet at least) and not available on Sundays when it is brunch (didn`t even ask how much that cost since it wasn`t valid with out credit). As I said we had a $50.00 credit with our groupon, we came very close to using all of it the 2 mornings we stayed with just two people and a 4yr old. The food was as respectable as a Smitty`s at over double the price.The service was prompt and helpful which was the only saving grace.

The window of our room was directly above the swimming pool. The pool has no slides or anything to really entertain children which was a let down. In the mornings a group of syncronized swimmers used it for practice. The day we left early it had been booked for a large and very loud party. We had returned from Drumheller with a 4yr old in desperate need of a nap to our room pulsating with the sound of base, music, and shrieking and hollaring of people running around the pool in skimpy bikinis. There was a Dj set up with huge speakers blaring music. This was FIVE (5pm) IN THE AFTERNOON ON A SUNDAY!! I called the front desk and they said at 7pm they would be asking them to turn the music down. Considering the type of music it would have to be virtually off for the base to stop shaking the walls. I have never heard of a party goer with a volume knob either, pretty sure they were drinking so good luck convincing them to keep it down.

By 5:30p I had a raging migraine and my child was upset to the point of tantrum so we decided to leave a night early and drive almost 6hrs (we have a child who needs frequent breaks) home rather than put up with the racket of the party downstairs and the more than likely chance those people would be spending the night and carrying on the party in the halls and joining rooms all night.

I spoke to the manager at the desk who pretty much just said they`d cover the taxes, he didn`t provide me with a reciept though so here is hoping they do not ding my credit card. Not once when I spoke to front desk did they offer to move our room or apologize for a racket, they simply said the volume would be turned down at 7pm meaning for 2hrs we would be stuck in unbearable racket.

I would NEVER reccomend staying here to anyone, even people who did want to drink and party all night because chances are there would be another party booked the next day to drive you out of your sleep. I have stayed many places with sketchier reviews and had a wonderful stay, the Blackfoot Inn which tries to promote itself as a upscale place fails miserably at making a stay plesant from the 1st request before you arrive.

Room Tip: Avoid the side by the pool as it is often booked for private functions which involved music being bl...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on four occasions; once using the 'Shop Til You Drop' promotion, and three times using a Groupon. The STYD promo was great for me as I was shopping at the Chinook Centre anyway and the hotel is in a perfect location. The Groupon has been especially wonderful because I've used it with different family members. I have stayed once on my own, once with my parents and kids, and once wth my husband. We loved using the outdoor pool and the $50 breakfast credit was perfect for the Sunday brunch buffet. The rooms are fine as they are but will be even better once renovated. I can attest that there is some costruction going on as the elevator opened on the wrong floor for some reason and there was definately work taking place. I requested a fridge in advance and it was waiting for me upon arrival. I can't fault this hotel apart from the service in the restaurant; it's a little lacking in the customer service department.

I still have 2 more Groupons to use and can't wait to use them!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Hanmer
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Blackfoot Inn is located about 15 minutes outside of downtown Calgary. It is a large property with many amenities that you would not expect to find at most urban hotels (comedy club, poolside beverage service, free cookies - just to name a few). The hotel was undergoing a small renovations when we were there but it did not seem to disrupt out stay in the least. The property is often very busy yet remained quiet for the most part. The beds are comfortable and the rooms have all of the expected items. The food in the restaurant (at least breakfast) was better than expected yet not cheap. Overall I would rate this hotel pretty solid and recommend it to those visiting Calgary for either work or pleasure.

Room Tip: If you can get a corporate rate, it can save almost 25%
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MOJOCOFFEE
Reviewed August 13, 2012

So I will start with the good.
The package seemed to be a great value. Pool and decor were nice, the pool towels were alright and there seemed to be plenty. The water temperature was great and we really liked that there was a server by the pool. It took a while to get her to serve us but it was nice to have poolside drinks that were brought to our lounge chairs. The long island ice tea was good but seemed to lack a little in the alcohol department (and I am not a drinker), despite the $7 per drink charge. Hot tub and steam room were dated but nice, when not invaded by a bunch of people drinking. Appetizers were good in the pub. Decor and flowers throughout the hotel were a very nice touch. Bed was AWESOME! Decor and carpet in the room and hallways on the sixth floor were dated (except the bed, bed linens and bathroom linens). The "mountainview" room also had a very nice view of the mountains. (Sometimes mountain view rooms don't have a mountain view at all). We got an early check in with no problems. The location was good. We had a late checkout, which we did not take advantage of because we did not have time. We got the "Summer of Love Package" simply for the fruit, wine and chocolate covered strawberries (you know, the romantic aspect) as we'd both been working a lot, and took our 2 days off as a time to relax and site see. We are living Edmonton and wanted to go back to Banff and Lake Louise the second day, so we chose to stay here for the night because of the distance and the package contents.

The bad...A lot of the hotel is dated, one of the elevators had moving blankets hung up all around the exterior of it, the room service breakfast left something to be desired. ICKK!...(Luckily we had a 40 dollar breakfast for 2 with our package). At check in, we originally got a city view, which was also a nice view, but called down because we really wanted a mountain view room, (which they exchanged quickly and with no hassel), I know, the bad. The fruit, chocolate covered strawberries and wine, were not "waiting in our room" as is advertised, so we also asked about it when we got own to the front desk to exchange our room keys. When we got back up to our room, we quickly went down to the pub as we were hungry. We ate, went back to our room and the fruit, wine and strawberries were still not there, so we changed and went to the pool. The wine and some fruit were there when we got back but no chocolate covered strawberries. The fruit consisted of 20 grapes, an overipe banana, 2 underipe, green, oranges and 3 apples. I called down to the front desk to ask about the strawberries, the front desk agent said that the strawberries were not part of the package so I asked to speak to the manager. When I talked to him, he assured me he would send them right up. To make a long story shorter, we never did get the chocolate covered starwberries, as promised, but were later offered desserts as a substitute, which we did not take because of the priciple. They were in the package contents (and still are) but they said that it was not included even though my reservation email and the website said they were. It was dissappointing because we were looking forward to it and the romantic aspect of "the wine and strawberries". When you are expecting something, even promised something in a package and you do not receive it, it definately takes away from the overall hotel experience. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Disenchanted2012
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

We’re truly sorry that you did not receive the strawberries that were meant to be included in the package. The issue has been resolved with the kitchen where there was definitely an error in communication. If you decide to return to our city and stay with us, we would very much like to make it up to you. Just let us know when you book, and we’ll treat you to something extra special.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here on vacation after purchasing a Groupon that included one nights stay in a signature queen room, a $50 breakfast voucher and tickets to the comedy show. Thank goodness for that, because if I had paid the regular $149/night i would have been extremely upset.

On the surface this hotel seems as nice as it's website makes it out to be. The check in process went quickly and the girl at the desk was very polite and efficient. The lobby was inviting and comfortable looking. Signs were posted asking that you excuse, them as they are renovating to serve their patrons better. (Never once in our 2 night stay did I actually see people working!) The room was very spacious and nicely decorated. We stayed in a room that already had been renovated.

At first I was very impressed. I had hoped for a small refrigerator in the room and there was not one, but that is easily forgiven. We changed and went for a swim. The small outdoor pool was nice and refreshing. We then went inside and downstairs to use the hot tub. A bunch of unsupervised youths had been in it previous to us (the adults were all on the pool deck) and they had taken and thrown all the towels into the bottom of the tub, so we had to pull them out and then had no towels for ourselves. There was no pool attendant or any staff near to report this to.

After this we went for supper. Here is were we really started to notice this hotels delusions of grandeur. We had the Saturday night buffet. The food was ok, but not spectacular. It was evident fresh quality ingredients were used, but the level of culinary expertise was mediocre. The tabouli salad had so much mint in it, it was inedible. The service on the other hand was very poor, drinks were not refiled, we had to ask for our bill and the buffet tables were not over seen very well. The dessert table, which was almost double the size of the buffet, had so few serving utensils that all the fruit tongs we covered in sticky cheesecake. I did not feel this meal and service warranted the $25/person price tag.

We then attended the comedy show. I had a very good time here, but again, they were short staffed. They even made an announcement to this fact, so that people would not get upset waiting for their drinks. I also found it odd that as soon as the show ended they started kicking people out. You couldn't even sit to finish your drinks or munchies in leisure. I noticed people with half full appetizer platters and the staff were announcing "you can go over to the sports bar, but you can't stay here!"

Ok, so now let me talk about the room itself. Like i said earlier on the surface things seemed nice. but when I really looked I was very disappointed. The bathroom had been redone with granite counters and nice colours, but the main fixtures (toilet and tub) had not been changed out. The ceiling also grossed me out as there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom and and the suspended ceiling tiles were dark and full of ridges and bumps, were mold and mildew could grow.

The bed was wonderfuly comfortable, but it was hard to sleep when the old toilet was running half the night until I got up and jiggled the handle.

Using the internet was a huge battle in frustration! I constantly was being bumped off the unsecured wireless network, which ran incredibly slow. When I tried to plug in using the Ethernet cable, that would not work either!

If you have the munchies at night, you are out of luck, as there are only pop and coffee vending machines not any snack.

The breakfast at the Greens restaurant continued to be a disappointment both days. Service continued to be spotty. The buffet did not have all the items listed on the menu. People would be nuts to pay $17.95/person for what, at many other hotels is considered free continental breakfast.

This hotel touts itself as a diamond, but is really just a shiny piece of glass!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ECNicki
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thank you for your honest and in depth response, ECNicki. We are taking this review incredibly seriously. There's no excuse for poor service, food, or cleanliness of the whirlpool area.

Pertaining to your room, I don't believe you had a renovated room based solely on the fact that all of our new rooms do, indeed, have little fridges in them. Also the new rooms have fully renovated walk-in showers.

Admittedly, this is a turbulent time at the hotel, with all that's going on (There's definitely construction workers working hard - I can hear them above me as I type this), but again, we're taking your review to heart and will address each issue you have brought up accordingly.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know we need work and need it quick.

I hope you can come back in the future and see a big difference in the way we're running things.