“Great Hotel!”

Hotel Blackfoot
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here on Saturday night after a night of comedy at The Laugh Shop with friends. Of course, I never stay anywhere without consulting Tripadvisor first.... I was surprised that this hotel got the great reviews that it did. But I was pleasantly surprised when we got there and they were all true! The lobby is clean and well appointed, with a piano lounge as you walk in, and the restaurant, which we didn't eat at this time, but have before (and it is awesome! a little spendy, but worth it! Breakfast buffet is $25.00/person but the spread is amazing).
Staff was all friendly and helpful and check in was smooth and efficient. The rooms are nicely laid out and very clean! The one thing that I HATE though is that they still have actual coffee cups and glasses in the room. I'll say it again...... use the individually wrapped coffee cups and glasses. Who wants to use something you cant guarantee is clean? Blech!!! I went to the pop machine and got my water. Thats my only real beef with the hotel.
I would definitely recommend the hotel and would stay again!

Room Tip: My sister in law and her husband also stayed and had their dog with them. They were very impressed w...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Canadianeh93
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
We're very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, Canadianeh93! And that you took the time to share it with everyone on Tripadvisor - with perfect spelling and grammar to boot!
As for the coffee cups and glasses, I can't say I've ever heard that one, but I'll be sure to bring it up in the next management Kumbaya as we always take our guest feedback very seriously. In the meantime, I've come up with a list of fun ways you can use glassware without having to drink from it:

1) You could perform the 'ball under cup' magic trick.
2) You could try fire cupping also known as cupping therapy (you may need to Google this one).
3) You could create a glass harmonica, also known as the glass armonica, bowl organ, hydrocrystalophone, or simply the armonica (different levels of water in each cup producing different pitches etc.).

It's also great to hear that your sister-in-law brought her dog! we really love having dogs and other non-human guests stay with us. I hope he's enjoying his bowl and toys.

Warm Regards,
Simon Trafford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
Alberta
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We have been staying at this hotel for years now. We have season tickets to Stage West Calgary with 5 shows per year and generally stay overnight at least one night. Take Deerfoot to Glenmore, then just a short jaunt to Blackfoot Trail and there it is. The hotel is located just a short distance from the theatre and lots of other fun things. The Chinook Shopping Mall (huge place) is right down the street - then just off Macleod Trail. We like to take in a little gaming after the show and there are a couple of Casinos close by. NOW for the hotel: well folks I like "clean & modern" and this place offers that. Right from the front entrance through to your rooms and restaurants. We have never had a bad situation there. Their standards are met consistently. The price is reasonable - about $120 per night for queen or two queens - and worth every penny. I would say we've been going there for almost 4 years. It is our hotel of choice if we are staying in Calgary.

Room Tip: We've stayed on several different floors and sides of the hotel - I guess the west side might ha...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SouthernAb
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Wow! It's so great to hear you've had 4 years of good times at the Blackfoot! I'll pass this review on to all of our staff with "Great Job!" as the subject and a picture of me giving a thumbs-up in the body.

We're glad you're having so much fun in Calgary and can't wait to have you back!

Warm Regards,
Simon Trafford
australia
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We checked in for one night using a discount web site and decided to stay for an extra night, we felt that the hotel staff were unreasonable with not giving us the room at the same price as the first night, even though we suspected that it would be cheaper using the web site, but as a secret hotel didn't want to risk booking wrong hotel. We went to the comedy night on Thursday and were told it would cost $10 each but in the directory in the room it was free with room keys. The hotel need to know their stuff. The show was fair, but more entertaining was the audience of women that were at each others throats after the comic took a mouthful from one of the quests beers, after she and her friend left the room for a smoke. The Hotel was stylish and comfortable. Good value for money.

Room Tip: away from west facing windows.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank michellejeanette
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Thanks for the review Michelle! You are, indeed, correct about Thursday night Laugh Shop tickets being complimentary for hotel guests. Right after I finish writing this management response I will bring this up with the powers that be as to make sure this does not happen again. In our defense, we have a brand new box office girl selling tickets and I'm sure it is one of those details that did not arise in her training regimen. Either way, Michelle, if you return to the Blackfoot, and I hope you do, I would like you to contact me and we can set this straight. strafford@blackfootinn.com

Thanks again for the review! And thanks for recognizing our effort to be more upmarket! We're making changes, growing and learning daily as to become the best hotel in the world!

Montreal
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Not many "chain" hotel around the S.E. part of Calgary. The Blackfoot has nice rooms, comfie beds and a friendly front desk staff. The restaurant (Green's) is aweful. The "other side" pub/bar is loud, but the daily specials are good (wings, burgers). It also has multiple pool tables and is connected to a large comedy club. In between the 2, there's a quaint piano bar. There's nothing within walking distance though.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank roadwarriorvb
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Stayed at the Blackfoot inn for 2 nights on a business trip in November 2011. The hotel is quite decent - nothing fancy to write home about. The free parking is great in Calgary. It is also very near the deer foot and glenmore trail so it's easy to get to places. ( Calgary traffic however is terrible so location is rather irrelevant as it can take 5 minutes or 2 hours to get to your destination). The rooms and bathrooms are clean and well maintained. the carpets in the corridors could use a steamvac but still fairly ok. The lounge is quite good with live piano music both nights I was there. The food is also ok for a restaurant of this type. The free wifi signal was very low in the rooms. My wireless devices did not connect so I had to connect to the wired internet which was fast. The decor on this place is a bit bland. I wish they added a bit of bright colors. Very depressing place in fall.

Room Tip: If you want a room with good Internet wifi speed - ask to be placed near the stairwells because I th...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Thecageybee2day
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
It's reviews like these that get me excited for the near future! The reason for this, Cageybee2day, is because you've addressed almost all of the issues we're planning to obliterate in at least the next 6 months; the wifi/internet is being upgraded, the carpets replaced, in fact, we're renovating every room on every floor and much, much more.

My personal favorite tidbit is the replacement of our Lobby Lounge grand piano. We're getting a new one and donating our old one to a local elementary school. Very heartwarming, indeed.

Thanks for the review, Cageybee2day. I hope by the time you return to our hotel, all of these issues will be solved.

Warm regards,
Simon

P.S. Cageybee = KGB. Took me a while to get it!
UK
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I have stayed here a couple of times each visit lasted a week and I wanted to thank the staff on tripadvisor for a great experience. The front of house staff through to the Other Side Sports Bar make you feel welcome and on my return remembered me. There was even a welcome back gift in my room - nice touch!
I cant wait to get back there in December

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Fos123Uk
Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Blackfoot, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Thanks for the review, Fos! I'll be sure to pass on the kind words to the staff in the Sports Bar and make sure that for the month of December, anyone in the pub who has a UK accent gets treated like royalty.

See you soon,
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We spent two nights here and were happy with the hotel. A last minute trip that I booked with hotwire while en route. With hotwire we got a good rate, but checking the rates online the hotel seemed overpriced and I not sure I would have booked here at those internet rates. There were fresh baked cookies at reception when we checked in which were delicious. Our room looked to be recently renovated, was clean and comfortable. We did try to get last minute tickets to the comedy club, but it was sold out. We did not try any of the other facilities or restaurant.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cool-son
That's too bad the Laugh Shop Comedy Club was sold out! I know it's too late now, but here's an insiders tip for next time: If you ask, the club has been known to give free tickets to hotel guests on Thursday night shows.

We're really happy that you enjoyed your stay, Cool-son. The cookies are baked daily by our pastry chef, Dan. He's small, feisty and will teach you karate moves if you run into him in the lobby.

Fun fact: 99% of all cookies are eaten by 1% of Cookie Monsters.

See you soon,