“Could be better”

Ranked #40 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here July 19-21 as we had a wedding to attend in Calgary. I booked the hotel and told the rest of our family- we booked 6 rooms in total. Our room was the "family suite" with a queen bed in a separate room, and the bunk beds in the other. It was perfect with our daughter to have her own space, and us ours.

Now, for being called a family suite I was seriously disappointed. One would assume that if a family suite was booked (and paid $299 for!!) that the people staying in their have children. So, perhaps the room could be cleaned properly for the children. My daughter is 11 months old, crawling around placing everything she finds in her mouth. Upon entering the room I found a pill laying in the floor in plain sight, right by the desk- it was some sort of prescription medication. Once I saw that I decided I was going to crawl throughout the room and find what else I could find- the bathroom floor had several pieces of what looked like Dorito chips, the hallway along the baseboards looked like they had not been vacuumed properly for several times- I found numerous hairs from previous occupants- these were visible from standing- I did not have to look hard to find them. The carpets could use a good cleaning- after a few attempts up and down the hallway my daughter's pants were black. We made the best of it- cleaned the floor ourselves and still enjoyed the weekend- I was not going to let that ruin the trip. I just think for the price we paid for the room it could have been better.

We ate at the Atrium restaurant for dinner on the Friday night- at first we were the only people in there (our family, another couple with a two year old, and then our parents)- the place was a mess- several tables were empty and messy- and remained that way our entire 2 hours there. Only one other couple came to the restaurant after us. The server was all on her own and struggling with just us, our meals took forever to come, as did our drinks. We had to flag her down to get a second round of drinks- she never would have asked on her own. For I think $9 the kids mac and cheese was seriously Kraft Dinner. I paid $18 for halibut and chips- very greasy, and dry- was not enjoyable at all. 3 others at our table complained about the same. The butter chicken was terrible, my husbands steak sandwich was over cooked- no one out of the 6 adults enjoyed their meal. My mother in law complained to the server, she was very nice and asked how we would describe it. For the price- could and should have been way better. They ended up giving each of us a free drink off our bill. I was seriously disappointed though- we decided to stay at the hotel for the convenience as we did not know what kind of wait times we would experience at the local restaurants on macleod trail- we should have taken that chance for better food as the times would have worked out the same! Not sure why it took so long with just a few people in the restaurant- I would recommend you go elsewhere.

The big waterslide was awesome! The hotel staff were really nice, no other issues occurred. I may stay here again- the location was great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank amies
Grant E, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. On behalf of our entire team, please accept our sincere apologies, as what you experienced was not acceptable and not up to our usual standard of quality we have become known for. In addition, we appreciated the chance to further discuss your experience and "make things right" for you and your family. Thank you again for sharing your experience which will facilitate actions to minimize the likliehood of a re-occurence for any future guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My friends and I had a short stay at the South Delta Calgary hotel during the Stampede weekend. The staffs were friendly and caring. The hotel was very clean and the room is spacious. There was also a microwave and a fridge. Our window was facing the parking lot so there was not much to see from our room. There was a restaurant/bar but unfortunately we did not have the chance to try it.

There were two hotel entrances, one at the Delta building and the other one at the Atrium building. The parking lot by the Delta entrance gets full pretty fast but there were more parking by the bar on the other side of the building and by the Atrium building. There was a skywalk on the third floor that connects the two buildings together.

Like the Delta Calgary airport hotel, the Atrium's swimming pool and hot tube were located right beside the lobby. There was also a work out room located on the 3rd floor in the Atrium building. I like the swimming pool and hot tube in the Delta building because it was in a big secluded room and it had a two stories tall water slide.

There wasn't much site seeing around the hotel. If you were planning to take the bus or train, then there was a couple of bus stops right outside of the hotel and the C-Train station was only 5 minutes away in walking distance. There was also a Wal-Mart across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xiaosin
Grant E, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, we're glad to hear you found our team made a difference during your stay. Thank you again for sharing, we hope to welcome you back again!
Kirkwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

As our original hotel was still under repair we had been booked into the Delta Calgary South. The staff in the hotel, dining room and boomtown bar were all extremely helpful and friendly. For those without a car the C transit station is an easy 5 minute walk away and during that time you pass a Safeway supermarket and pharmacy so for ease of access to downtown and general stores it is in a good position. I should also mention that there is an Irish pub should you not wish to dine in. We only dined in one night and that was in the boomtown bar. The food and beer were excellent. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends or staying there again

Room Tip: Although room 101 was good it's one downfall is that it appears to be next to a service entrance...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James P
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review, it's great to hear you found our location enhanced your visit. Please accept our apologies for the noice outisde your room, we have reviewed that with our Engineering team to ensure no future guests experience that. Thank you again for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at the Delta Calgary South fro two nights during a recent business trip to Calgary. My company booked the room and this was my first time staying at (or even hearing of) a Delta brand hotel. Overall my experience with this particular hotel was great and I would consider staying at their various locations in Canada.

I took a taxi from the airport and the journey was a quick 25 minute ride which cost me about CAD $53 including tip. There are two entrances to the hotel, the Tower lobby and the Atrium lobby. The hotel is actually two separate buildings connected by a sky walk on the third floor. At the time of my stay the website directed all guests to check in at the Tower building, so I suggest you check the status before your trip. My colleague who arrived separately was forced to check in from the Tower, but we were both able to check out from the Atrium. Despite arriving late at night, there were two staff members at the front desk who were eager to help me check in. The process was quick and efficient and the staff instructed me how to access my room, which was in the Atrium section of the hotel.

My room was one of the renovated "deluxe" rooms with 2 Queen beds. The room was well equipped with all of the expected amenities, wardrobe, iron, alarm clock, tv, free wifi, etc.) The room was very spacious with a long desk attached to the wall and a lounge chair and table in the corner. One of my major gripes with hotel rooms is that there are not enough accessible plug outlets. Delta South does not fall into this category, as there were two outlets above the night table (although they did not work and I had to move the night table to access the power strip!) and multiple on the work desk. The bathroom was also well stocked with toiletries, plenty of counter space and a large tub shower.

I enjoyed the breakfast buffet both days, which is served in the Atrium cafe. The buffet had a great variety of hot and old items, breads/pastries, fresh fruit and a made to order egg/omelet station. Service at the cafe was prompt and courteous and the hot buffet items were replenished consistently.

I think that this hotel deserves a "Very Good" rating because of the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the deluxe rooms. The building strikes me as an old building and there are areas where its age shows and detracts from the stay. For instance, some of the elevators were not working and guests are forced to use the stairs which are in the corners and make it difficult to orient yourself in the hotel. There were also sections of the Tower building that were leaking because of the rain and the hotel placed buckets in the walkway to catch the water. The two building setup is also inconvenient if the hotel cannot manage to check in guests from both front desks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rocketsfan007
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience, we're glad you found our team and some of the features of our ModeDelxue Room to be a noticable difference that impacted your stay. We shared your feedback regarding the leaks and elevator access with our Engineering team as well as they are currently working on plans to address both issues. Thank you again for sharing your review, we hope to welcome you back again.
Pointe Claire, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for two nights at the end of May during the first days of Calgary's monsoon rains. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. But we were unable to get the temperature of the room below 75F. The heat was not on in the room. But the windows in the room did not open and with an outside temperature of barely 50F the air conditioning would not turn on. Consequently, we could not get the room cool enough for comfortable sleep. The hotel sent a maintenance man to look at the problem and he could do nothing. It was a "Catch 22" situation, too cool outside for the sir conditioner to operate but too hot in the room.
Otherwise the hotel was fine. We enjoyed the pool, waterslide and hot tub. Would we stay at the Delta Calgary South again? Perhaps in the dead of winter or height of summer. But our first choice would now be a hotel with windows that open.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kgmontreal
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor, it's great to hear our team made a difference during your stay. We did install a new Air Conditioning System in late May in our Tower Building, and have since seen a drastic improvement in temperature control. We are not sure where your room was located, so have shared your feedback with our team to review logs to see if we can isolate the issue for repair if required. Thanks again for sharing.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

So here I am on Sunday June 23rd doing things around the house when the phone rings deploying me to high river with 5 minutes to report to the office to go on a journey with no end date... We show up ready for whatever the task may be just to be told around 1030 pm to find accommodations and be back for 0700. After numerous calls around the only place that greeted us with open arms was this delta. The staff were amazing, willing to take 3 federal government employees on a day to day basis. As the days at the flood site were tiring and overwhelming it was always soothing to know what we had to enjoy after the end of our shifts!!! Thanks for the 10 nights!! Your comfortable beds, clean rooms and great staff made what could
Have been an exhausting time into something completely the opposite thank you!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for sharing your review, we wish we would have hosted under better circumstances. Kudos to yourself and your colleagues along with every individual who has assisted during and following the floods, we have the privilege of living in a great community that really came together with the help of individuals like yourself. All the best from all of us at the Delta Calgary South!
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding and were blown away by the amazing staff. From the front desk to the housekeeping staff to the wait staff at breakfast, everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to make our stay great.
We were there in the midst of the Calgary flood and great effort was made to keep us informed and reassured. (The free Wifi went down briefly and a note was slipped under our door explaining that the provider was experiencing flooding and service would be restored ASAP - which it was within a few hours.)
The breakfast was included with our wedding package and was excellent - a nice variety of fruits, deli meats, cheeses, cereals, pastries, breads, hot dishes (eggs/bacon/sausage/waffles/etc) and made-to-order omelettes. Coffee is a little lacklustre but drinkable.
The waterslide was a huge hit with our kids. There is no lifeguard. The pool is clean and the hot tub is HOT! Lifejackets are available to borrow for free from the front desk. There is no height restriction on the slide - small children are advised to ride with an adult, and kids must be 14 or older to be in the pool area alone.
Lots of amenities nearby as MacLeod Trail is a retail area. Walmart is across the street and many chain restaurants are within walking distance. (White Spot, Jack Astor's, Moxie's, etc.) There is a grocery store and bookstore within walking distance.
We really liked the pub attached to the hotel (The Boomtown) - see my separate review.
We will definitely be staying here on our next visit to Calgary!

Room Tip: The waterslide is in the Tower. The smaller non-slide pool is in the Atrium building, as is the bre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DrSquirrel14
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review DrSquirrel14. It is great to hear that our team made a difference during your stay. We're quite proud of everyone's efforts in assisting in making your stay most enjoyable. Your review will be very helpful for future travellers as well.