“Decent hotel...”

Delta Calgary South Hotel
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were in Calgary for a funeral and picked this hotel based on the location with regards to where we would be going. The staff are very friendly and the hotel is clean, but like others have mentioned it is dated with some ok updates. We didn't use the pools but I can completely understand why a family might take their kids because the waterslide seemed to be enjoyed.

We ate in the restaurant the one morning and it was pretty good, standard hotel breakfast for the standard price. It is a big hotel with a skywalk in between the two buildings but you do check-in in the Tower building.

I really don't have anything negative to say about this hotel. If I could make one recommendation it would be that they patrol their parking lot. It is near impossible to park in some of the spots because of the parking jobs that other people have done that essentially take up two spots.

Room Tip: You should probably find out which building you are in...the Tower building has the waterslide in it...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review Brendan, we're glad to hear you found the hotel clean and our staff friendly. We've shared your feedback on the parking with our team. It is unfortunate some people choose to park in a way that inconveniences other guests. We hope to welcome you back again.

There are newer reviews for Delta Calgary South Hotel

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I went here for his birthday. The check in was very easy with great staff working the front desk! I mentioned that we were there for a birthday and shortly after getting into our room - we had a delivery of a hand written birthday card and a birthday treat from the lady who checked me in! I was so blown away by this - thank you very much to the hotel!

As for the room itself we stayed in a modedeluxe king suite and it was nicely designed, but housekeeping really missed a lot of cleaning in the bathroom. The shower floor had mildew on it, dirty counters and dirty cups with finger prints all over them. The toilet made an awful noise when you flushed it and would have ran all night had we not switched off the water in between uses. Having used Delta's many times in the past, I was slightly disappointed by this - but realize that it is an older hotel.

The TV system really needs some updating as it is a very annoying system. There is no guide to find out what is on - so you have to go through every channel one at a time. Then, once you've checked the channel you can't go back to the previous menu - you have to start all over again for every channel. Good Wi-fi connection though!

The room was a great value, and it included appetizers when we got there and breakfast in the morning - which was great! Again, very friendly staff and good food. All in all it was a pretty good stay.

Room Tip: If choosing the modedeluxe rooms - go with the special edition - the bonus appies and breakfast are...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your review Tina P. Please accept our apologies for the shortfalls you experienced along with our sincere assurance we have shared it with our maintenance and housekeeping teams for follow up. In addition, based on your feedback, we are going to produce a Channel Line Up Card that will be located on the desk in each room to make finding desired channels for guests much easier. (Until now, we have housed this in our guest directories, but we realize that is not the most convenient location.) Thanks again for your feedback, it has facilitated change that will benefit future guests.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Delta Calgary south before so we stayed again. The girls at the front desk were very friendly and always smiling. Our room was very clean and modern. We enjoyed a great dinner at the Boomtown pub which is connected to the hotel. And we always enjoy the hot tub and waterslide ! This hotel has pet friendly rooms which is great because we often travel with our dogs. I would highly recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower are closer to the main lobby and pool
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

It's great to hear that you enjoyed the many aspects of our facility including the pools and our "pet friendliness". We are also excited to hear you found our Front Office Team friendly. We appreciate your repeat business and look forward to welcoming you all back again! Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stay at the Delta South on a regular basis for work purposes however I recently stayed there for a weekend getaway with my wife! We had a Suite in the Atrium and it was very nice. The main room was a little boring but the bedroom and Jacuzzi/walk-in shower was very nice.

One thing that I found odd about this suite is the lack of natural light. The only window was from the main living room but it overlooked into the Atrium/restaurant.

The food in the restaurant was very nice with lots of options. While the pools are not really big, they are also very nice.

The price was excellent for this weekend getaway!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tom K

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor Tom K, were glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our Suites. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed in the family suite which had bunk beds and a queen bed with its own room. The kids enjoyed the pools and water slide. We ate supper at Boomtown pub which allows minors until 9pm, everyone enjoyed their meal The service was very friendly. The only downfall was that our bathroom wasn't as clean as I would've liked. Overall we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mickseny
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you for your review Mickseny, it is great to hear you found our staff to be friendly. We have shared your feedback regarding the bathroom cleanliness with our Housekeepiing Team for follow up. Thank you again for sharing, we hope to welcome yourself and your family back soon!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Booked at the Delta for Business, 3 nights of staying. I had never stayed there before and did not know the layout, therefore I could not request a specific room nor part of the hotel.
Upon arrival I was given my room, no mention of where it was, but it was on the attrium side, which I knew nothing about. So when I went to park and there was nothing in the front of the hotel, I went to the back, as it turns out the furthest I could be from the other part of the hotel across the street from the the main lobby and tower. After wandering the tower side a maintentance man pointed me in the direction I needed to go. Once there, my room was very nice, clean, and comfortable. At 5:55 AM all 3 mornings I was woken up by the clanging of dishes from the atrium restaurant as this is in the centre of the hotel and all rooms looking inwards view this and the pool. I also find it very odd that in the Tower lobby coffee is available to the guest but in the atrium lobby where there is staff, very nice I might add, there is nothing available, why the double standard?
Overall the rooms and staff where very nice, but the hotel lacks, since it seems to be a meeting hotel parking is at a premium, extremely loud on the atrium side with rooms facing inwards, and poor consideration for guest with a double standard of free coffee in one lobby, yet pay in the other (at the same room rates)

Room Tip: If you must stay there, choice your room wisely, outward facinf Atium side, the rooms are nicer than...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DaveH36

Thanks for sharing your experience DaveH35. We were glad to hear that overall you found our rooms and staff to be very nice, but disappointed overall you're not a fan following your stay. We've shared your review with our entire team and specifically discussed your feedback regarding the noise from the dishes with our food and beverage team, as well we are currently reviewing our "coffee offering" based on your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for the noise and thank you again for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here Nov 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is great, it's near two big malls and not very far from downtown. It is right on Macleod Trail and Southland drive so it is very easy to get to. Just a quick jaunt down Southland puts you on Deerfoot no problem. Tons of restaurants and bars nearby.

The room itself was clean. The shower pressure was great! The bed was comfy and the wifi signal was actually pretty good. Usually free wifi is crap.

The pool is not the biggest but it is located in a big atrium and looked pretty relaxing. I didn't actually use the pool but it looked clean. There was a lounge in the atrium which was very nice. The hotel also has a small gym, there is not very many pieces of equipment but it was not a very busy gym so it wasn't a problem for me.

The staff were friendly and the service was good. I would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 3rd floor links the tower building with the pool, gym, restaurant, etc... So it tended to have more...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WorldTraveller989
DeltaCalgarySouth135, Director of Sales at Delta Calgary South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're happy that many aspects of your stay met your expectations, epsecially the WIFI. We're happy to report, we are in the final stages of an upgarde to the WIFI system that will actually bring it up to a better quality by the new year. The new system is Delta Hotels Internet XL, the fastest Internet access in the industry, and best of all, it will still be complimentary.