“Good value”

Best Western Plus Suites Downtown
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Excellent value, decent location, more than adequate rooms and decent service. The location is a 10 minute walk south of the down-town core, so if you are relying on the LRT it might not be ideal. Very close to lots of good eating places, though, and in a fairly quiet neighbourhood. Continental breakfast was fine, rooms are not fancy but clean and adequate, with hotplate and fridge if you want to cook for yourself. Only complaint was that my room on the 14th floor was next to a service area which produced some odd knocks and sounds at night- but this was a minor problem.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank JSMunn

Reviewed March 24, 2010

I stayed in one of the newly renovated rooms on the second floor. what a joy!
I tried other hotels in the downtown core and was deeply disappointed.
You check this place out. they are doing renovations but they let you know about it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank sturk123
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I searched long and hard for a decent hotel located close to everything downtown that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. The Best Western Suites Downtown was perfect. The parking is free, whereas other hotels charge per the day. You have the option to either park in a parking lot or in an underground parking lot. The hotel is very safe and secure. In order to get down to the underground parking lot, you have to use your room key. Also, once you're in the elevator, you have to use your room key to activate the elevator or else you won't move. A great feature so that random people don't get into the hotel. It made me feel safe. The breakfast was awesome! I HIGHLY recommend it because it's free and wonderful! White or wheat toast with butter and a wide range of jellies/jams, various cereal, fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, croissants, danish, popovers, pastries, make your own waffles, oatmeals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, coffee, tea, juices...a wonderful selection. The rooms were nice and the window was the entire length of one of the walls that offered an amazing view of the city at night and a beautiful sunrise in the morning. The bed was comfy, but I found the pillows to be a little hard....but I think that's because I'm used to a soft fluffy one at home. There was a sitting area, a desk, free internet access, plenty of lighting, decent sized bathroom. Overall, I am very happy that I chose the Best Western Suites Downtown. I would most certainly elect to stay here the next time we come to Calgary. My husband and I ate at a resturant called "Milestones" and it was AWESOME! We ate in the bar/lounge area (no smoking and full service). It was very hip, trendy, and urban. The decor was fabulous, as was the selection of cocktails. The food was really, really good and the pricing was right. I would recommend this resturant for couples or singles in their 20's or 30's. There is another part of the resturant which is looks good for families or if you want a quiet more intimate experience. In the bar/lounge area, the hottest and most recent music was playing, it was just a ton of fun. We also went up to the Calgary Tower. It's about $15 per adult, but I think it was worth it. We went up to the top to see the sunset over the mountains. Also, there is a glass floor that you can stand on. It's scary, but so much fun! DO NOT MISS STEPHEN AVENUE WALK! There is one mall/store that has Gucci, Tiffany's & Co, Chanel, Coach, Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana, and so much more! Wonderful for the fashionista or just to window shop and pick out things you would buy if you were a millionaire. Calgary has it all!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LimaFoxtrot
Reviewed March 7, 2010

My husband and myself were very pleased with our king sized bed with duvet and down pillows. The duvet cover was very white and clean. The newly renovated room was large with a small kitchenette. The bathroom door was awkwardly placed.
The location was a quick 6' walk to the downtown area and the free LRT. There were plenty of restaurants. coffee shops, galleries and shops all within walking distance. The free buffet breakfast was typical of Best Westerns, a definite plus. Maybe could change the batter for the waffles, it was very bland. The staff were pleasant and helpful. All in all, we were very pleased.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank NewfoundlandPeppy
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Our one week stay saw us enjoy a huge two bedroom suite for our business stay and we loved it. We were able to entertain clients in suite for a more personal apeal. Although the room was a bit dated the overall feel was great. Staff was helpfull and pleasent. A great experience.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank themoneyman
Reviewed October 19, 2009

If what you need is designer bottled water in your room, Belgian truffles on the pillow and antiques filling the spacious lobby this is not for you. But if you are looking for a decent place with big rooms, acceptable location and good prices then it is. Very, very similar in level and location to the BW Downtown Vancouver on Drake or the BW Carleton Plaza in Victoria. No restaurant on property (but you get a continental breakfast) but several within 3 blocks and you are in the heart of downtown in an easy 10 minute walk. Our only glitch was a rather late servicing of the room the first day. Otherwise a problem free stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank CanProf
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My adult son and I stayed here from September 11-16 2009. The hotel appears a little old from the outside but evidently it has been renovated recently and is clean and modern...there is a free parking lot and also a secure garage or underground area (don't know which, we we able to park outside each day). The staff was helpful and professional. It is a few blocks easy walk from the hotel to the C-Train, which you can ride for free on Calgary's main street...the all-day transit system pass just went up, I think it was $7, still a good deal...there is a bus that stops almost in front of the hotel but I never used it. Within a few blocks of the hotel there are several upscale restaurants, several Starbucks-type eateries, a Dairy Queen, and a Saveway (actually a good place to have a sandwich). There is a gas station across the street and a pizza joint...17th Street is a 10-minute walk, lots of noisy restaurants and bars, not too expensive.

Our room was extremely clean and smelled almost new...it had 2 very, very comfortable queen beds, plenty of pillows, TV, two phones, free in-house wireless, and a view of downtown. There was a small kitchenette with sink, fridge, microwave, toaster, dishes, etc., very handy. Our housekeeper kept our room totally clean and even washed our dirty dishes for us. She kept our bathroom spotless, not an easy task. I should have left her a bigger tip but I ran out of Canadian money, I still feel guilty about that. They served the standard hotel breakfast but there was plenty of everything, good variety, it was fresh and the attendant kept the area clean...we usually ate enough for breakfast to hold us until an early supper.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the hotel's security. You needed your room key-card to use the elevator, enter the breakfast area, and enter the lobby after 10 pm or use the stairwells. I'm sure solo female travelers can appreciate the extra security, even though the hotel is in a safe area of the city (Calgary has some panhandlers and homeless people but they are not aggressive.) Our room was by a stairway door and was a little noisy but I had my earplugs and we slept good.

Great value, very clean, safe area, close to public transportation, highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business