“On the upswing...”

Ranked #28 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Alberta
“On the upswing...”
Reviewed November 25, 2008

We stayed at the BW on a Friday and Saturday night. We had a room with two bedrooms and a sofa pullout bed in the livingroom (plus a small kitchen).

The entire hotel is in the midst of a renovation and the room we had was alreaady done. The carpets, bathroom, and fixtures all seemed to be new and this was very nice. My wife raved about the bed, pillows, and blanket (saying how nice they were). Even though the hotel is under renovation, we had no trouble with noise or dust.

Our only small con is that the elevators are slow.

This is not a "high end" hotel and guests need to keep that in mind. But the price for a room is fair and the facility is good. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The renovated room is fresh and huge.
  • Disliked — There is no restaurant on site, only a cold breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
bonnyville, ab
Reviewed October 22, 2008

The location was excellent, close to shopping and restaurants, everything within walking distance. the hotel is newly renovated and clean. the complementary breakfast was excellent, had alot of variety. We had a one bedroom suite. It was excellent. The only complaint I had is housekeeping doesn't speak any english, making it very hard to communicate with them. I will be staying there again when I visit Calgary and would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — location and the room
  • Disliked — housekeepings knowledge of the english language.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2008

I stayed in this downtown hotel to visit a friend in Calgary. The location is a little out of the way, just out of the downtown core...not REALLY downtown.

When I checked in I had reserved a King Suite with a jetted tub, was expecting a spacious room with an oval jetted tub like the pictures , unfortunately I was stuck with a Queen room with a 60" tub with a few jets. The carpet was so dirty that when I had walked in my bear feet for a couple of minutes before taking a shower and when i stepped into the shower my feet were filthy. Also, the room smelled very musty.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were pleased with our suite. It was clean and comfortable. The housecleaning staff needs to pay more attention to the supplies in the kitchen area. We did not have any proper glasses, just plastic and foam cups for coffee. The daily cleaning was fine, but they again did not leave extra toilet paper or tissue. We were able to get that delivered from the front desk.

It is located in an area close to shops and great restaurants, within 3 blocks of a supermarket, and close to the trains.
I would not hesitate to stay here again. The staff was most friendly.

• Liked — very bright and roomy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
West Coast of B.C.
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Booked this while on the road as we were going to be a late arrival. When we got inside the hotel had a very "spooky" feeling. There were some renovations going on and I think we may have been the only ones on our floor. Kitchen sink didn't drain so it came as no surprise when the bathroom basin followed suit. Room door lock was wishy washy and bedside lamp bulb kept falling over. Even with all the lights on the room was dim and made us wonder about the cleanliness. You don't want to venture out at night as the location is questionable. I tried to ask a question of the reservation staff but could not make myself understood. In the morning half way through drying my hair, yup, the drier quit - not to restart. We couldn't wait to flee in the morning. Would not recommend this hotel as it is.

• Liked — Location close to meeting place.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank mauimadness
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We have slept here for one night. The hotel is within walking distance from shops and restaurants.
The personel were friendly, the rooms clean but it can be better.
It was a little bit old and the furnishing can be refreshed.
In the neigbourhood of the hotel are a lot of junks so watch out when you go out late at night.

Stayed July 2007
Fernie, BC
Reviewed February 26, 2008

My husband and I always have stayed at this hotel and over the years it had become tired. We liked the location and got to know the Front Desk staff so we kept going. The last time I stayed there with our two children in a double suite, when we left I said that perhaps we should look for something a bit more fresh - having a little baby play on the carpet worried me - it wasn't dirty just old and worn.
I was suprised when this past weekend I arrived with all the "girls", five women and my new baby. I told them not to expect too much, however when we went in our room (two bedroom suite with kitchen) we were pleasantly suprised! They renno'd it! The carpet, kitchen, T.V., bedding, couch, chair etc was all new! They even changed the layout of the room, knocking down the gallery kitchen and making it all open.
We actually chose to order in take-away and eat in our room! After a day of shopping we were tired and enjoyed sitting in this new space.
The complimentary breakfast isn't wonderful but it does the trick for hungry kids, or people looking for a quick fix. It is always clean and the attendent is very friendly.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends