“loved the location”

Best Western Plus Suites Downtown
Ranked #27 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed October 22, 2008

The location was excellent, close to shopping and restaurants, everything within walking distance. the hotel is newly renovated and clean. the complementary breakfast was excellent, had alot of variety. We had a one bedroom suite. It was excellent. The only complaint I had is housekeeping doesn't speak any english, making it very hard to communicate with them. I will be staying there again when I visit Calgary and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed October 7, 2008

I stayed in this downtown hotel to visit a friend in Calgary. The location is a little out of the way, just out of the downtown core...not REALLY downtown.

When I checked in I had reserved a King Suite with a jetted tub, was expecting a spacious room with an oval jetted tub like the pictures , unfortunately I was stuck with a Queen room with a 60" tub with a few jets. The carpet was so dirty that when I had walked in my bear feet for a couple of minutes before taking a shower and when i stepped into the shower my feet were filthy. Also, the room smelled very musty.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were pleased with our suite. It was clean and comfortable. The housecleaning staff needs to pay more attention to the supplies in the kitchen area. We did not have any proper glasses, just plastic and foam cups for coffee. The daily cleaning was fine, but they again did not leave extra toilet paper or tissue. We were able to get that delivered from the front desk.

It is located in an area close to shops and great restaurants, within 3 blocks of a supermarket, and close to the trains.
I would not hesitate to stay here again. The staff was most friendly.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Booked this while on the road as we were going to be a late arrival. When we got inside the hotel had a very "spooky" feeling. There were some renovations going on and I think we may have been the only ones on our floor. Kitchen sink didn't drain so it came as no surprise when the bathroom basin followed suit. Room door lock was wishy washy and bedside lamp bulb kept falling over. Even with all the lights on the room was dim and made us wonder about the cleanliness. You don't want to venture out at night as the location is questionable. I tried to ask a question of the reservation staff but could not make myself understood. In the morning half way through drying my hair, yup, the drier quit - not to restart. We couldn't wait to flee in the morning. Would not recommend this hotel as it is.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank mauimadness
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We have slept here for one night. The hotel is within walking distance from shops and restaurants.
The personel were friendly, the rooms clean but it can be better.
It was a little bit old and the furnishing can be refreshed.
In the neigbourhood of the hotel are a lot of junks so watch out when you go out late at night.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed February 26, 2008

My husband and I always have stayed at this hotel and over the years it had become tired. We liked the location and got to know the Front Desk staff so we kept going. The last time I stayed there with our two children in a double suite, when we left I said that perhaps we should look for something a bit more fresh - having a little baby play on the carpet worried me - it wasn't dirty just old and worn.
I was suprised when this past weekend I arrived with all the "girls", five women and my new baby. I told them not to expect too much, however when we went in our room (two bedroom suite with kitchen) we were pleasantly suprised! They renno'd it! The carpet, kitchen, T.V., bedding, couch, chair etc was all new! They even changed the layout of the room, knocking down the gallery kitchen and making it all open.
We actually chose to order in take-away and eat in our room! After a day of shopping we were tired and enjoyed sitting in this new space.
The complimentary breakfast isn't wonderful but it does the trick for hungry kids, or people looking for a quick fix. It is always clean and the attendent is very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2007

We have just returned from a weekend in Calgary. We stayed at this Best Western last year with no problems so we returned this year. Well we were in for a shock. Our bathtub had lots of hairs in it. We went to front desk to complain and they apologized and kindly put us into a 2 bedroom suite. It was spacious and with a full kitchen, great for our 2 night stay. However, at 11pm we went to bed, pulled back the sheets and the pillow was covered with black hair...so gross! Then I went to check the 2nd bed well.. this bed had body hair in it!
The bathroom also had hair on the floor.
We addressed our concerns with the front desk. I wanted the room free of charge but instead they gave us a little discount. Our view of this hotel has been ruined!
If you choose this hotel...check your room entirley before unpacking. Then you have the opportunity to change rooms or quickly check out.
The breakfast food was fine and the staff was kind..but watch out for those maids..they obviously do not do their full job of cleaning rooms!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SeniorityGroup