“Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Atlanta, Georgia
“Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

The location of this hotel is very good. Within walking distance to many places. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast every day. Lot of varieties to choose from but the best was the waffle that you can make for yourself. The fittness center was under construction but a temporary one set up allowed me to do my daily workout. Friendly staff and the room was quite good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mehvell
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Mehvell,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip advisor review of our hotel. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and are happy to report that our fitness centre renovation is now complete and guest feedback has been awesome.
We hope to see you soon and thanks again for your review.

George Dahbour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Penticton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have stayed several times over the last 5 years at this hotel. It has been upgraded over the years(they were working on the parkade this trip) and a lot of the staff are the same ones that were here when we first started staying here. (It is like coming to visit distant relatives. ) The staff is very friendly starting with the check in girl Jaime, to the breakfast lady Uzma (she has been there forever) and Shaun (night desk clerk) always makes sure that we get a good room. The rest of the staff is always helpful and friendly whenever we see them.
The Hotel is located within walking distance of several unique shops and restaurants as well as close to Safeway and London Drugs.
The 2 bedroom suites are roomy, the little kitchen is nice so we don't have to eat out all the time as we usually stay at least 3 nights each time we go. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. Rooms are quite quiet, don't hear the neighbours unless they are really loud.
I like that they have a small laundromat in the basement, travelling with a child you sometimes need to find a laundromat. We don't hesitate to recommend this hotel to friends heading to Calgary.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ileea
Dear ileea,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel.
We appreciate your comments regarding our ongoing updates and enhancements, and also
happy to inform you that the parkade work is now complete.
Thanks again for sharing your positive experiences and we will certainly celebrate it with our staff.
Looking forward for your next visit!

Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Recently stayed one night and the customer service was fantastic. Beautiful room, with a separate eating area, fridge, stove, microwave, hotplate and utensils. Great surprise. Rooms were very clean and quiet - our room was across from an elevator and never heard anyone! The best part of this place was the bed....oh my god. I have never slept in a bed so comfortable. Will definitely be back!!

2 Thank capergurl
Dear capergurl,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel is very accomodating. The staff is very helpful and the rooms are superior. Forgot an item in the room after checkout....As I was at a convention at another hotel the BW Downtown Suites delivered the item to the meeting which I believe is over and beyond any duties of a hotel! Thank you BWDS Calgary!!

Room Tip: Very good complimentary breakfast
1 Thank JSGLethbridge_Canada
Ari O, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear JSGLethbridge_Canada,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of our property and for your comments on the staff. We look forward to serving you next time you are in Calgary!

Ari Othitis
Guest Services Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

It was the first time I spent 1 night on Nov. 4, 2012 during a business trip. Good location in downtown, minutes from all services and shops. The room and bathroom were clean, a very comfy queen bed and the kitchen corner very convenient. The wi-fi was working great. The breakfast buffet was really complete and tasty with a large selection of food. The staff at the reception was helpful to get me a cab in the morning.
If the entrance doors could be automatic sliding doors, it would be really helpful especially when you enter with a few pieces of luggage.
Overall I had a satisfying experience and no doubt, I recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: The room # 860 was very quiet (2 queen beds) with a great view over downtown.
2 Thank Igal A
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Igal A,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write a positive review about our hotel.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would like to inform you that we are in the process of obtaining plans to completely renovate our lobby and breakfast room area. It will be a major renovation which will include automatic doors.

Thank you and look forward to hosting you in the near future.

Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel about 6 times over the past 5 years and have always felt this place rated an "average". The location isn't quite downtown, but it is very close to downtown. Rooms are clean & comfortable, within walking distance of a decent assortment of restaurants so I've generally been pretty satisfied. This visit, as usual, was booked with a junior sports event that takes place in Calgary every two years.There seemed to be groups from three different sports here this weekend.

The party across from my room started at 9:00pm. I debated whether to call the front desk (it was only 9:00 pm, what a grouch!) but felt management should be forewarned about noise that would probably occur into early morning hours. "Forewarned is forearmed." As long as they settled down by 11:00 pm, I would be happy. So, being a parent of a teenager and wise to the ways of those enchanting creatures, I called the front desk to advise this might be a "hotspot" for the next 6 hours or so.

The front desk girl sent a maintenance staff member to the room who determined the party was only dinner being served and things would settle down in the next hour. He was kind enough to come directly to my door, knock, and then give me his report after loudly establishing I "was the lady who complained."

The "next hour", oddly enough, stretched out to 2:00 am, with me phoning the front desk at midnight and 2:00am to complain. At 2:00am, I was rudely told by the front desk gentleman that my call about the noise was only his first call. I told him it might be his first call, but it was my third call to the front desk: 9:00pm, midnight, and 2:00am. He was defensive on the phone and denied I had placed three calls but said he would send security. (I should mention here, that I sleep with ear plugs that can block out most noise but not the party across the hall.) Finally, things started to settle down, but my son and I did not get to sleep until well after 2:00am. He had to play a match that day with a sleep deficit and I stumbled through the day crankier than usual. When I checked out, the front desk lady was polite and apologetic.

Apart from that, the hotel is clean, has a fitness room (that was being painted), slow, slow elevators that both guests & staff complain about every time I stay (we usually just use the stairs), cheerful housekeepers, friendly female front desk staff/curt male front desk staff, and a decent location with lots of free parking.

Hot breakfast: Seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion in these reviews. Some think it's great, others think not. I'm in the middle. If you are a toast, cereal, cold hard boiled egg, coffee kind of person (I am) then breakfast is perfectly fine. If you want a traditional hot breakfast, then breakfast is not fine: powdered scrambled eggs, frozen then heated up omelettes (I think that's what they were), sausage patties (I think?) - go somewhere else for breakfast.

Should note, too, the air conditioning fans are very loud - people in my party each year note how loud they are. One would not think a/c would be needed in Calgary in November, but the hotel is overheated (too much cheap fuel in Alberta). I had my earplugs, so the fan didn't bother me too much.

If not for the party problem, I would rate this hotel an "average". I don't think it's rocket science for hotel management to figure out that while sports teams are income providers during low occupancy weekends, there will be hotspots that the hotel has to shut down - that's the nature of sports teams, adult or teen. Perhaps there should be an adult/junior ratio policy, clearly one adult chaperone cannot effectively supervise 10-15 kids.

Room Tip: There is a very cool coffee house across the street but sometimes they have a band playing and the s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Wet_Coast1
calgaryGeorgecalgary, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Suites Downtown, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Wet_Coast1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your kind words regarding our hotel and the friendliness of the housekeeping and the ladies at our front desk.

We apologize for not meeting your expectations regarding sound management on the night in question. It is a rare occasion that we have problems with any of our youth teams that stay with us, as we require, and ensure a strict ratio of chaperons to team members. In addition we are also proactive in requiring that the team organizers sign a "group policy form", which outlines the teams responsibility to self monitor their team members, in addition to our security. Due to these procedures that we have in place, it is an extremely rare occasion that we experience any trouble.

Again we apologize for not meeting your expectation in this regard and hope to see you in the future.
We would be happy to discuss this matter directly. Please contact my office at your earliest convenience.

Kincraig, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Travelled in to Calgary on overnight Greyhound, had talked to someone on the desk the day before telling them I would be there early and was there any chance of getting room early. Arrived 8am to leave my bag and was told they would make sure I could have a room early and given a voucher for a free breakfast that day, nice touch!
Rooms nice and modern with kitchen facility.
Hotel central to up and coming bar and restaurant area.
Small sauna and gym also handy. Thanks for a enjoyable stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PeterSnow
Dear PeterSnow,

We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.