“Not for Business Travelers”

Best Western Plus Village Park Inn
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stay at many hotels as I travel a lot for business all across the prairies. This was the 2nd worst stay I've ever had. Being a business person internet access is a must for me so I was very disappointed when the access was incredibly slow.
When I went into the bathroom I noticed that there was mold on some of the grout on the tiles that surround the tub. Good thing I don't have allergies! The shower curtain was very thin and cheap. I was afraid I was going to rip it trying to close it to have a shower. Also, the drain plug in the bathroom sink didn't work properly.
The bed was average and the room had a large flat screen TV but that's about all I can say on a positive note about this place. Oh, and the location is pretty good which is why I stayed here at all. That and the fact it's a Best Western so I get points for staying with them as I'm a member of their rewards program.
Like some of the other reviewers I've read here I too had issues with the restaurant. I went down for breakfast and decided not to have the buffet which wasn't complimentary like any other Best Western I've been to so I decided to order off the menu. It took 10 minutes for the waitress to come ask me what I was going to have. She came to the table and said "What was I going to get you?". I said "Nothing, I just want to order". I'm not sure why it took so long to get service because most people in the place were having the buffet. I had to wait again to get my bill so breakfast took much longer than I initially anticipated. My recommendation is avoid the restaurant unless you have lots of time.
At check-out the lady said they were under new management and they were planning on doing renovations. Hopefully they get them started soon as the room I had was not up to par for the price they're asking. In my opinion, unless you can get a room here for under $100 per night it's not worth the stay.

2  Thank Dale6888
Luanne V, Manager at Best Western Plus Village Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Hi Dale6888,

We greatly appreciate your business and we would like to thank you for your review.

We are very sorry for not meeting your expectations and for the disappointing experience you had in our property. Your review is very important to us as this will help us identify the things we need to improve on. Our team is currently working on the items you mentioned in order to provide better service to all our future guests. Again thank you for your time and for staying at the the Best Western Village Park Inn.

Please feel free to contact me directly as we would like another opportunity to provide you with a superior experience.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Village Park Inn

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is the first time I visited Calgary and first time to stay at this hotel. The hotel is rather old and needs updating. It shows in the decor and furniture in the room and public areas (restaurant, lobby and hallways). Although, even though it's old, the hotel is still very clean and accommodating. I really enjoy the atrium style and open concept style. The front desk clerks are always smiling and they make you feel welcome and at home. The morning staff were very helpful in giving directions especially for someone like me who is new to the area and they never failed to greet me good morning for the 5 days that I was there. The staff really made the difference and made this a great stay.

1  Thank 1dUnCaN_m
Luanne V, Manager at Best Western Plus Village Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Hi 1dUnCaN_m,

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Village Park Inn and for sharing your wonderful experience in our property.

We are very happy to hear that our staff made your stay an enjoyable one. We do our best to ensure that all our guests are cared for and that everyone has a great experience. More so we want our property to be your home away from home.

Again, thank you for your time and review. We are looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

looks ok in the pictures and the exterior as well as the interior, but then you get to your room and you start to see the small things that matter. Guest directory says ice and pop on every floor but ice was on floors 2 & 5 and the 2nd floors didnt even work and the pop was only downstairs in lobby. Kind of annoying. People at front desk don't know if they are coming or going and dont seem to understand the questions I ask. To top it off, I asked for an extra ice bucket and while I was gone from room they entered my room to drop it off. Never enter a occupied room without permission. Very poor unprofessional service. Gym is not what it looks like on the pictures.

2  Thank Colin C

Hi Colin C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We greatly appreciate your business and we value your review.

We apologize that we did not meet your expectations and for the disappointing experience you had during your stay. We are in the process of updating our Guest Directories to ensure that accurate information is relayed to all of our guests. More so, we have signs in the hotel advising all our guests where they can find the ice machines and the gifts shop so that they would be easier to find. We are very sorry for the challenges you had with our front desk. The incidents you mentioned are duly noted and we are taking extra measures to ensure that we address them and prevent them from reoccurring. We take our guests' concerns very seriously and we will be using your feedback to implement improvements in order to provide superior service to all our guests.

Again, thank you for your time and we hope that you'd consider staying with us again as we would like another opportunity to provide you with an excellent experience.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. Overall, our room was clean and comfortable. The location is right near the C-Train, so it was easy enough for us to get downtown as well as to the west side of the city for a wedding. However, our stay was made way more complicated than it needed to be because of incompetent staff.

Basically, it seemed like front desk staff needed some more training or better communication with each other, or both. First, I called several times the day of our check in to confirm our reservation, and consistently reached voice mail. My messages were never returned. When we arrived, we asked at check in to extend our stay in the same room. The clerk seemed to take care of this, but then we received a receipt under our door on the morning we were originally supposed to check out. Front desk said they had no record of us extending our stay, and we had to change rooms. Check out was a huge pain - first, we called down to ask if we could check out at 12 noon instead of 11 am, which we were told was fine; then at 11:30, front desk called and asked if we were planning to check out that morning! Then at check out, we paid part of the balance with a gift card, and it took about 15 minutes for the front desk to sort this out.

Room Tip: Elevators are slow, but all the floors are easily walkable by stairs. The fifth floor is the highest...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delish71

Hi Delish71,

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Village Park Inn and for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We greatly appreciate your business and we value your feedback.

We are pleased to know that you had a comfortable stay and that you enjoyed the location of our property. Please accept our utmost apology for the complicated experience you had with our front desk. The concerns you mentioned are duly noted and we are taking extra measures to address them. All our associates are being trained to provide excellent customer service to ensure that all guests have a great experience in our property. We take our guests' concerns very seriously and we will be using your feedback to implement improvements.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope that you'd consider staying with us again as we would like another opportunity to provide you with an excellent experience.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Only one night at this Hotel before going on to the Rockies. Basic hotel clean and comfortable breakfast was good value at $10, not sure I would have liked to have dinner here. The design of the Hotel means that the Dining area and stairwell etc is open plan. There is a pool/spa area within this space and the noise and smell of chlorine from the pool was overwhelming. Very busy road outside and kept me awake.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LIndyLou2012
Luanne V, Manager at Best Western Plus Village Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hi LIndyLou2012,

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Village Park Inn and for sharing your experience during your stay at our property.

We greatly appreciate your business and your feedback is very important to us. We apologize if we did not exceed your expectations. Your thoughts and opinions are duly noted and we will be taking them into consideration as we make necessary improvements in order to provide superior customer experience to you and all our future guests. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

403.289.0241

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Average hotel, no effort to provide extra, unless charged for it. People come to hotel for business, receptions, etc, you would expect free parking, but no, $2.00 / day for surface parking and $10 for underground. So on top of the money they spend on rooms, food or beverage, be prepared to pay a little more. Only stayed here for wedding and reception, which the hotel horribly handled. The reception was understaffed, with only two dining room staff working and then only one, plus a bartender during dance; full reception staff was agreeed upon in contract. The air conditioning was broken in the reception room and the hotel didn't even bring anyone to look at until like 11:30pm, 6 hours into the reception. The tem perature in there was 80F with 51% humidity. One person got heat stroke, surprised there wasn't more people affected. The wine which was pre-ordered and pre-paid, didn't get served or even taken out of the fridges. So far, no concessions have been made for wine refund or hey, give them the wine to take home, they paid for it. When all this was brought up to management, post-wedding, the hotel told them (hearsay), 'get over it.' Now is that the kind of customer service you want at your hotel. I think not. Don't book anything at Best Western Village Park Inn. There are lots of other hotels in the vicinity which I'm sure would offer much better service and amenities.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sean S
Luanne V, Manager at Best Western Plus Village Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Hi Sean S,

We would like to thank you for your review and for staying at the Best western Village Park Inn.

Please accept our utmost apology for not meeting your expectations and for the inconvenience you had at our property. Please note that our surface parking is complimentary to all our guests; staying overnight, attending functions or dining in the restaurant. The $2.00 surface parking only applies to non-guests.

With regards to the wedding that took place at our property, as I mentioned in the review below, this is a one time incident and our management team and our owner have been informed. We are taking extra measures to ensure that we avoid this from happening again.

Your review is very important as you are helping us identify the things we can improve on to ensure that our future guests have a superior experience.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I booked this hotel months in advance because I was attending a wedding at this hotel. The room was warm and stuffy when we arrived. We requested that they have their maitenance repair man take a look at the air conditioner as it was not working and it was 28 C. outside. We had gone out to the restaurant and two hours later we returned to the room and it still had not been looked at. We were two hours jet lagged and it was already 10:30 at night so we called the desk again about the air conditioner. They finally sent someone to our room and he said the air conditioner needed to be replaced and he had a new one he could unpack and bring up to the room and replace. He brought it up but my husband had to help him take out the old one and put in the new one as the maintenance repair man could not get the screws undone. It was around 11:30 that we were finally into bed but because we were 2 hrs. jet lagged it was really 1:30 a.m. our time. Then the wedding was a disaster. The punch and bar did not open until the meal was ready to be served. The wine for toasts did not get put on the tables for the guests and the air conditioning did not work in the reception room. It was so hot all the guests were leaving and the cupcakes and cake were starting to melt it was so hot. The hotel tried putting fans out but it was just too hot. We told the front desk we would like a deal on the room because my husband had to help them install the air conditioner so all they did was take off the $20 for the two nights we stayed their for the underground parking. I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN. BEST WESTERN VILLAGE PARK INN YOUR SERVICE SUCKS!

Room Tip: If you want to stay in a Best Western, then choose the Port'O Call Best Western near the Calgary...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cathy h

Hi cathy h,

Thank you for staying at the Best Western Village Park Inn and for taking the time to share your exprience.

We would like to apologize to you and to all the guests who were part of the wedding that took place in our property. Also, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the A/C in your guestroom. This has been brought to our team's attention as well as our owner's attention. The Air Conditioning in the function room as well as the guestroom are now working. Please note that this is a one time incident and we are taking extra measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

We greatly appreciate your business and your review is very important. We will be using this feedback to implement necessary improvement for our future guests.