“Okay Spot for Lunch if You Don't Want Foodcourt” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chop Steakhouse & Bar

Chop Steakhouse & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Chop Steakhouse & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #302 of 3,490 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Canadian, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Glenmore Trail
Transit: Chinook station (c-train).
Description: Chop Steakhouse is located in Calgary's Chinook Centre, next door to the Cineplex movie theatre. Visit our website for menus & drink specials.
Calgary, Canada
“Okay Spot for Lunch if You Don't Want Foodcourt”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

My husband and I ate here on a recent Saturday afternoon. We were doing some shopping and felt like some better food than we would get in the mall foodcourt.

I would say that the atmosphere here was better than the foodcourt -- but the food was nothing special. We ordered the Classic Burger and the Grilled Chicken Sandwich. There was nothing really wrong with them -- but nothing special to make us want to return. We also had a pint of Guiness and a glass of wine with our lunch -- both good.

We ate in the upstairs lounge or bar area. The service was not that good. Our waitress did take our orders and bring our food -- but again -- did nothing extra -- a smile -- a greeting - nothing. Yet she sat with the 3 other servers and bartender - laughing and watching soccer on the televisions. Definitely not a place that we feel a need to go back to -- but if we do find ourselves back here we will try out the actual restaurant dining area.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Altius10

• Thai first
Calgary, Canada
“Do you like steaks... this is NOT the place to go”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have been to the Chop house twice. The first time the over cooked our steaks twice and felt so bad they gave us a $30 certificate to come back. I thought... Hey, maybe it was a bad might.

A few months later I took the certificate and my son and I decide to go have a good steak after a hockey game. We ordered a medium rare rib-eye. They came and the cut was maybe 3/4" thick and it was well done. We asked the waiter and they brought over the manager. The manager apologized and made us another steak... same result. I asked why the cut was so thin and he informed me that that was standard for a rib-eye. We spoke for about 15 minutes and at the end he admitted that they were having problems finding people that could cook steaks. Wow... as a steak place, that is kinda important. I can go to a place like earl's and get a better steak!!! A restaurant that specializes in steaks should at least get that right. My advice, for the money, try Red Water, earls, almost anything else.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael Z
Calgary, Canada
“Look out, flying hot sauce!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I visited Chop at the beginning of this month with my boyfriend and his family, and had a not so great experience.

Our dinner started out just fine. The server was nice, and seemed to know what she was talking about. The restaurant was extremely cautious about my nut allergies, and the food was great for the value. About halfway through our dinner, our server came to clear some dishes. While doing this, she ended up dropping a plate which had a cup of hot sauce on it. When it fell, the hot sauce ended up all over my clothing, and directly in my boyfriends eye. This definitely didn't happen on purpose, and by no means was it was our server's fault (accidents do happen), but it absolutely ruined the mood of our dinner. One of the managers had to bring my boyfriend an eye washing container because his eye was burning so badly from the hot sauce. They offered me free dry cleaning (but I had to pay for it, and bring the receipt back into Chop for reimbursement). They offered us dessert as well, but only two out of four of us took it. I ended up having to get mine to go since we had to leave because my boyfriend couldn't quite see out of his eye. After we left, his parents told us they had comp'd his meal off of the bill, because he didn't get a chance to finish it.

The server was very apologetic, and the drycleaning and dessert gestures were definitely nice, but I think they could have done more in terms of reconciling what had happened.

• Visited May 2012

The beer is great.

1 Thank sellshort101
“Average lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

I took a few clients for lunch to Chop today and the restaurant is very nice. I had arrived at 1130 am, had a reservation and was seated promptly. They were short staffed however and took a long time to see the waiter for the drink order.

We had ordered a Chop Burger, Mediteranian Chicken Sandwich and I had the goat cheese and beet salad. The food came out very quickly and the food was pretty good but nothing special. The bill came and with no dessert or liquor the bill was $60.

My thought are that I have been there and didn't give me any reasons to go back anytime soon.

1 Thank powelj1