“Lumpy Pillows and 5 am garbage colelction” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Calgary University

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Calgary University
Ranked #66 of 109 Hotels in Calgary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I booked a room in this Travelodge because of surgery in Calgary on Monday Jan 28 2013. My wife and I checked in on Sunday Jan 27 2013. At first glance the room looked nice enough and the bed seemed fairly comfy. I went to have a shower and at first I thought there was no hot water. After I let it run for at least 10 minutes I started to get some hot water. I hopped in the shower and the water kept getting cold then hot to the point of almost burning myself. I phoned the front desk at approx. 8 pm for a wake up call for 5:30am as I had to check in for surgery at 7am. I also set my cellphone alarm as I sometimes do not trust wakeup calls. I was awoken at 5:05 am with the sound of a garbage fork truck out in the parking lot picking up containers. This noise lasted until 5:18 am. I fell back to sleep and my cell phone alarm (which is hard to hear) woke me up at 5:50pm. I had not gotten my wake up call from the front desk. After my surgery my wife and I returned to our room so I could recuperate for 24 hours.
It was -25 in Calgary that everning and the room was cold. I turned up the heat which did nothing. The room stayed at 20 degrees all evening. At approx 7 pm someone in the room above us started walking the length of their room. They must have been quite heavy as the lamps by our bed shook. They just seemed to keep walking from one end of their room to the other. This went on almost steady every 5 minutes until 11 pm when I phoned the front desk and made a complaint. The noise seemed to stop then and at 4 am the next morning started again. At 6:30 am I could no longer take this and walked to the front desk and complained again. The clerk seemed to think this was not a big deal and was bordering on rude. I was in extreme pain and very tired from surgery and could not sleep at all because of the temperature of the room and all the noise. I had the worst experience of my life there and will never stay at another Travelodge. This stay took an already stressful trip and turned it into one of the most stressful events I can remember.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rick S
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay. Once again, we apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. Even though the agreements we have proposed to you directly would not reverse your experience, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Room was clean enough but took the bed cover off to find that it was stained (so I removed it). Went on the check the rest of the bed linens but they were clean & fresh. This hotel really needs new pillows. They were all lumpy as if they had been in the laundry over & over again. Standard continential breakfast (nothing unusual) but watch as other guests used their hands to grab food rather than the tongs provided. This is an older hotel. Room fridge was a larger bar fridge size with a microwave on top. If you choose to microwave anything I would advise to bring your own dishes as they only have syrofoam (in the breakfast area) that is not microwave safe. We stayed 2 nights & awoken during the middle of the night by other guests talking very loudly. Room itself had 1 king bed which was hard, couch, desk, entertainment stand with tv & 2 night side tables...it was very spacious for 2 people. If you are on a tight budget I would stay here but not sure if I will actually stay again. Staff barely make eye contact with you.

Room Tip: Check the bed linens before heading to bed. I always carry Lysol wipes to wipe down the room & i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Look4-2
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. We hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Again, thank you for completing our survey and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I never expect much from Travelodge but this particular location surprised me pleasantly. The service is great, buffer breakfast decent, room clean. In fact, the service at this location is better than Fairmont Paliser.

Be aware that public transportation, the Light Rapid Transport stops at a station about 1.5 blocks from this hotel. LRT is the easiest way to get from this hotel to Calgary downtown.

The pillows need replacement though - they are hard and lumpy. Nevertheless, I would consider staying here again in my transit to Banff when I return to here again.

Room Tip: Get a room not fancy the road. It is quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scopix
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your pleasantly surprise stay with us to the world. My staff and I greatly value your comments and we will continue to exceed our guest expectations.

We will look into the lumpy pillow comment and address it as well. We hope to be of service to you in the very near future.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with the world and if I can be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

After a couple bad stays in calgary. I wasn't expecting much but for the price the rooms were big and very clean. The service was awesome. It felt like they really wanted to help. The only downfall is the beds were a little uncomfortable. There breakfast was very basic but there is 2 big breakfast restraunts within walking distance. Al in al I would say average for what I've stayed in.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Hiney204
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in regards to your recent stay.

We will continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We would be honored if you could contact us in regards to the particular room number you stayed in. We would like to address your uncomfortable bed comment. We hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with the world and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

Kobbie Larbi
Travelodge Calgary University
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from another stay at this Travelodge and I was not disappointed. This makes probably stay number 8 and every time I have found the staff friendly and knowledgeable, the rooms clean, the hot water fast and plentiful, and the breakfast filling. Whenever we're to stay near the University of Calgary this is my "go-to" hotel. This time the stay was $93 plus tax -- very reasonable for Calgary and for this level of hotel.

The location is extremely convenient to the University, the LRT system (Banff Trail station is a short walk down the street, McMahon stadium, shopping and major roads. There are convenient restaurants just out the back door though sadly the Red Lobster has not reopened since the fire last year and rumor is that it may not reopen. There is a Denny's, Phils, McDonalds and other similar fare available without having to hop in your car and drive around.

The breakfast is plentiful with belgian waffles, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, cereal, bread, bagels, pastries and coffee, milk and juices. I always look forward to the hot waffle as a treat. They do keep the coffee station setup all day long along with hot water and a small selection of teas for those who want a cup during the day. That's a nice touch.

As I mentioned, the rooms are always clean as are the hallways leading to the room. The decor is basic but clean and given the price of the room and decent breakfast offerings, I always find value here. The rooms are outfitted with a large, flat screen TV, plenty of counter space in the bathroom, decent sized refridgerator, microwave, and nice sized desk. I guess my only complaint relates to the placement of the outlets in the room -- they are there but you have to hunt a bit. This is a throw-back relating to the age of the hotel. This is a very minor complaint given that there are plenty of outlets to be found for plugging in our various electronic devices. The beds are adequate but it would be nice to have an extra pillow.

What I find interesting is that in the 2 years we've been coming to this hotel, I recognize the same staff behind the counter. Yes there have been a couple new faces but mostly it's the same and that speaks volumes about management.

As I mentioned, this is my "go-to" hotel in Calgary and one I do recommend to friends and family who are looking for a reasonably priced, clean hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel accepts pets -- on the first floor. I've brought my dog here a few times and never ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rstwohee
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us once again and also sharing your numerous experiences. We greatly value our guests' comments and particularly ones as honest as yours.

I have shared your review with my great staff and we will continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the very near future.