“Good service”

Ranked #65 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

After a couple bad stays in calgary. I wasn't expecting much but for the price the rooms were big and very clean. The service was awesome. It felt like they really wanted to help. The only downfall is the beds were a little uncomfortable. There breakfast was very basic but there is 2 big breakfast restraunts within walking distance. Al in al I would say average for what I've stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Hiney204
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in regards to your recent stay.

We will continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We would be honored if you could contact us in regards to the particular room number you stayed in. We would like to address your uncomfortable bed comment. We hope to be of service to you in the near future.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with the world and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from another stay at this Travelodge and I was not disappointed. This makes probably stay number 8 and every time I have found the staff friendly and knowledgeable, the rooms clean, the hot water fast and plentiful, and the breakfast filling. Whenever we're to stay near the University of Calgary this is my "go-to" hotel. This time the stay was $93 plus tax -- very reasonable for Calgary and for this level of hotel.

The location is extremely convenient to the University, the LRT system (Banff Trail station is a short walk down the street, McMahon stadium, shopping and major roads. There are convenient restaurants just out the back door though sadly the Red Lobster has not reopened since the fire last year and rumor is that it may not reopen. There is a Denny's, Phils, McDonalds and other similar fare available without having to hop in your car and drive around.

The breakfast is plentiful with belgian waffles, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, cereal, bread, bagels, pastries and coffee, milk and juices. I always look forward to the hot waffle as a treat. They do keep the coffee station setup all day long along with hot water and a small selection of teas for those who want a cup during the day. That's a nice touch.

As I mentioned, the rooms are always clean as are the hallways leading to the room. The decor is basic but clean and given the price of the room and decent breakfast offerings, I always find value here. The rooms are outfitted with a large, flat screen TV, plenty of counter space in the bathroom, decent sized refridgerator, microwave, and nice sized desk. I guess my only complaint relates to the placement of the outlets in the room -- they are there but you have to hunt a bit. This is a throw-back relating to the age of the hotel. This is a very minor complaint given that there are plenty of outlets to be found for plugging in our various electronic devices. The beds are adequate but it would be nice to have an extra pillow.

What I find interesting is that in the 2 years we've been coming to this hotel, I recognize the same staff behind the counter. Yes there have been a couple new faces but mostly it's the same and that speaks volumes about management.

As I mentioned, this is my "go-to" hotel in Calgary and one I do recommend to friends and family who are looking for a reasonably priced, clean hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel accepts pets -- on the first floor. I've brought my dog here a few times and never ha...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank rstwohee
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us once again and also sharing your numerous experiences. We greatly value our guests' comments and particularly ones as honest as yours.

I have shared your review with my great staff and we will continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the very near future.

Kobbie Larbi G.M.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have stayed here several times and it is always good, the rooms are more than large enough, it's always clean and the service friendly, although on my last visit I thought the breakfast guy was a bit grumpy. The breakfast is nothing fancy but it is adequate and the coffee tastes great! There are in room movies to rent and a reasonable selection of cable channels and he wifi is good. Plus the location is great with the very quiet c-train station just up the road and several places to eat within walking distance

Room Tip: The early you book the better price you seem to get
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mitchrj1
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your patronage. And thank you for sharing your several experiences at our hotel with the world.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and we will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

Again, thank you for sharing your experince with the world and if I can be of assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Good breakfast with waffles, HB eggs, yogurt, fruit, breads, etc. Lots to eat. The room was quite large with a large counter in the bathroom, big fridge, microwave, etc. $119 plus tax was quite reasonable for the quality of the room, the service, breakfast, and location right on the highway if you are passing through Calgary.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Theo58
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the world regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We will continue to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the very near future.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here for four nights on our recent visit to Calgary and found this hotel to be adequate. The rooms are clean and large - lots of space which was great. The morning breakfast was average, and as it was a buffet you could take food back to your room but the little cups they give you for juice are a joke - kids Dixie cups are bigger. However the coffee was good and plentiful and there is a waffle machine for the kids. We lived on bagels and fresh fruit while we stayed there. Rooms all have fridges and microwaves so this is very convenient if you bring in fast food or sandwich fixings. The outdoor pool is shared with the sister hotel next door but has a high fence so you have lots of privacy, and it is quite large, with deck chairs, tables and loungers all around. Since it stays light late in Calgary in the summer the pool is open late as well which is a nice change. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and did their best to respond to requests for help from the guests (for example an air conditioner, an in-room coffee maker or a toilet that needed fixing) - they addressed the issues right away. For a budget hotel this one was better than most.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms overlook the parking lot but have blackout curtains - we found this more convenie...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sistersofhope
TlodgeUnv, General Manager at Travelodge Calgary University, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Thank you for share your experience with the world regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Again, thank you for sharing your experince with the world and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Took me a while to choose among the myriad of accommodation in Calgary, but needing to access SAIT, UofA and Foothills Hospital during my 10 days stay, the Travelodge University was indeed a strategic hub and I could not have chosen any better. C-train and bus stops were a mere stone's throw away and the abundance of restaurants within walking distance was indeed a convenience, specially during breakfast when they have not altered the choices one bit during my entire stay. Grocery spots are nearby as well.

Staff went beyond their normal duties when they offered to make sure to fax a document I was having difficulty sending - little things do matter. Thank you. Much appreciate it.

Room was more than adequate, well lit, and with a study table crucial during my stay. And for a pet friendly room, it was a pleasant surprise it didn't smell like it. However, make sure to seal the lower edge of your door with cloth or towel during cleaning hours as the overpowering smell from the smoking room section permeates the corridor and find its way to your room, more so if you leave your windows open for fresh air. If you need to study during your stay, or just want peace and quiet try to choose a room away from the main corridors or driveway as it can oftentimes get busy. It really does pay to do your homework first, research the place through the experience of others before you, then decide on the facts at hand.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank cid117
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experience regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. The rooms are HUGE, although the furnishings and bedding have seen better days. Everything is very clean, and the staff are excellent. Can't beat fresh waffles at continental breakfast every morning. Within walking distance to lots of chain restaurants including Denny's. One star off because I think the rooms could use a makeover, but I was really impressed at how great a value this place was.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Samira J
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with the world regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

At the Travelodge Calgary University, we strive to make each and every guest experience the best it can be. We hope to be of service to you in the very near future.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and if I can be of assistance to you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 403 289-6600.