“"URGENT" USE YOUR DEADBOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #74 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Hamilton, Canada
“"URGENT" USE YOUR DEADBOLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

There's a thief at large who's not afraid to enter your room while you sleep and rob you. My husband and his brother arrived in July 2010 for a 10 day stay for the Calgary Stampede. The 2nd night WHILE THEY SLEPT someone managed to enter their room by clever means and stole a large sum of money from both of their wallets. Police were called in by us. So far nothing has been recovered and I'm sure it never will. I thought management would have offered some kind of compensation for their misfortune but they weren't offered anything. When they returned home from their worst trip ever I called IHG ( Intercontinental Hotel Group ) who owns Holiday Inn Express to see what they would do for us. All we got were apologies and were told the hotel is not liable. Its a police matter we were told. During the stampede its a very busy time where the hotel prices jump drastically as there is more demand. At $200 a night there should have been added security or security cameras. WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously there are ways for thieves to enter your room so make sure you use your deadbolt. The good side of this story is they didn't wake up during the robbery and were unharmed. Who knows what might of happened had they woke up. We will in the future never stay at any hotel unless they have room safes and we will never stay at this location again This has left a displeased customer who feels customer relations is not a priority.The HOSPITALITY PROMISE quotes "IF ANY PART OF YOUR STAY ISN'T SATISFACTORY WE WILL PROMISE TO MAKE IT RIGHT OR YOU WON'T PAY FOR THAT PART OF YOUR STAY. JUST WORDS-------EMPTY PROMISES!

• Stayed July 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
calgary, alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

We have stayed at Holiday Inn Express a few times and found the rooms to be very clean, spacious and quiet. The hotel is fairly new (about 10 years) and the furniture & linens seemed even newer. each room has a little kitchen area with a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker. the rooms also have a desk & chair and a big screen plasma TV. The bathroom is a good size with tub/shower combo. all the furniture & counter tops are granite/granite like. The hotel is located just off Macleod Trail So. & is just minutes from Southcentre Mall and a CT train station. good place to stay at if you are on a budget but like upscale hotels. free parking. no pets allowed. restaurants & shopping near by.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Corry2006
Dorking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

Have to say that we did not have any of the issues experienced elsewhere. We were only staying one night while passing through and did not therefore use all the facilities as we arrived at 9pm and left early the next morning. We were staying on reward points so took a suite as it was the same points value. The room was huge with two flat screen TVS comfortable seating and plenty of space to spread out.

Bed was comfortable, bathroom nicely laid out and all well looked after. Lobby was similar standard although they were doing some work out front of the hotel. There seem to be a couple of restaurants down the street for folks that do not want to drive out.

Would be more than happy to stay again if in the area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bgtravellers
Red Deer
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2010

We stay at a lot of HI Express locations - we're Platinum Priority Club members. We've stayed at this location twice before while in town annual for a tournament. We've always been happy before but this year this one borders on atrocious.

The lobby is nice and the pool is fine. The beds were as hard as rock, the paint was all peeling off the door jambs and the hook had been pulled out of the back of the door in the bathroom and never replaced.

Breakfast, however, was so bad it was laughable. Saturday morning there's about 40 people in the breakfast room looking for breakfast and there's nothing to eat. People had to keep asking, "Do you have any more eggs? Do you have any yogurt? Do you have any bread? Are there any more bagels? Is there any fruit?" Then they would bring out a container of cold eggs, or 6 (!) little containers of yogurt, or a loaf of frozen (!) bread. None of the tables were ver cleaned off until the breakfast room was closing, the chairs had food all over them, and the floor was covered in food and crumbs. And there were no little extras that you find at other locations such as oatmeal, a selection of teas, hot chocolate, flavored creamers...

In the rooms, there is a sign that says something like, "If you find any part of you stay unsatisfactory, we'll make it right or you won't pay for that portion of your stay." But when we told the manager what we thought he told us he'd make our next stay better. Sorry, my friend, there won't be a next time...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelbug5555

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Winnipeg, Mb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2010

Rooms are nice, beds are comfortable, large room, nice big flat screen tv. This is a nice place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank SnowboardCrazy
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in the past 4 years. 3 of these stays were in the last 6 months. My first stay waaaaay back when was decent. This propmpted me to stay here again.

My second stay had me staying in a room that was clearly under construction. The wall paper had been ripped off in areas; the sink and counter were not attached to the wall. There was a hole in the wall above the mirror in the washroom that had been stuffed with Kleenex by a previous guest. The shower was leaking and spraying the ceiling more than myself. I had inquired at the desk about getting a different room (I was staying at the hotel for 2 nights) and I was advised that they were fully booked. When I asked for compensation for such a crappy room, they apologized and said “oh, we have already changed your credit card 3 weeks prior, and cannot reverse the charges”. NICE! I had written my disapproval to the Holiday Inn customer relations department, who advised me that I will be contacted by the general manager within 48 hours. Approximately 2 weeks later, I received a standard form letter from the Management at the hotel. When I responded to the form letter with more questions (and pictures of my room) I NEVER heard back from them.

My next stay was 2 months after this episode. My colleagues convinced me to stay here again, as it was close to our job site. Everything was great from the check-in to the check-out. I had an upgraded room with a fireplace and a wet bar. My only complaint was the parking lot had not been plowed in quite a while, and myself and other guests were stuck in deep icy ruts and had to help each other out pushing vehicles.

So things at the hotel are looking up. I book my 4th and final stay at the hotel for last week. The check-in was a little slow. There were 2 ladies at the desk, but only 1 checking guests in. The other was ‘busy’ going in and out of the office and playing around with the computer screen. I get another upgraded room on the 4th floor. 4 of my other colleagues were on the 4th floor as well. My view from my window was a little disturbing. I am a proud Canadian, and I am offended by poorly maintained Canadian Flags. The Canadian flag flying on the pole was ripped, torn and faded. In fact ½ the flag was missing. This has no bearing on my stay, but just a pet peeve. The second and third morning, there was NO hot water to be had. On the third day of no hot water I asked what was wrong, and was told that they had not heard of any other hot water issues… funny because 1 of my colleagues ended up moving due to no hot water. The breakfast food had not been restocked, and there was no one around to stock it up. The last night, my hotel room had not been restocked by the maid service. I inquired at the front desk and was assured that they would look into it right away. I left for diner and returned to the un-stocked room I had left. I called the front desk and they told me “they were sorry”. I still had to walk down to get toilet paper.

Last and final straw. There are other hotels in the area that will be getting my business in the future, and I advise you to look at other options as well.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank blackriverexplorer
Calgary, Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on New Years Eve 2009. We went for dinner and drinks & returned to the room at approximately 1:30 AM. We went right to bed, we did not party, make noise...we went to sleep. Upon checkout, the hotel manager asked to inspect my friend's room as he paid cash. We found this unusual. The manager returned to the lobby and demanded $50 for "damage" to a towel. The towel had a stain from my friend's wife's hair dye ( done 2 days before). My friend told the manager it was dye and would wash out. The manager tried to put the $50 onto my credit card because we were together! Again we told the manager that a regular wash would remove the hair dye. At that point, she said to wash it ourselves then! She gave us 3 hours to return with a clean towel or she would charge $50 to MY credit card! We washed the towel, the stain came out and we returned the towel to the manager.

I wrote a letter to Intercontinental Hotel Group, who owns Holiday Inn. I was told the hotel owner would contact me within 48 hours. I still haven't heard from them. I wrote another letter to Intercontinental and they told me that each hotel can make it's own rules and they no control.

I find it very disturbing that a franchise has no corporate rules to follow. I find it unacceptable that a hotel would charge $50 for a stained towel. Soiled laundry is not damaging hotel property. There are many ways a towel or sheets can get soiled.

The hotel itself was fine, a typical Holiday Inn. But the treatment by the management and corporate office leaves me no choice but to never stay at an Intercontinental Hotel again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends