“Excellent headquarters for wedding weekend in Calgary”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #75 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Excellent headquarters for wedding weekend in Calgary”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

A number of family members had rooms here while in Calgary for a family wedding celebration. -- perhaps 6 rooms in total. We chose the hotel based on location and value -- good price plus free breakfast! We were very happy with this choice.

The rooms were spacious and clean. Check-in and out was efficient. One of the rooms, on the 3rd floor, had been recently redecorated, including a new large flatscreen tv. The rest of our rooms were perfectly fine, but had older tvs!
The complimentary breakfast was excellent. 4 hot items, plus continental type fare, including warm cinnamon rolls. The breakfast room was very clean . The pool area looked clean and inviting, but we had no time to spend there. The only negative would be that the lobby, hallways, and elevators were not air conditioned, and the hot outdoor weather made these areas uncomfortably warm. Not a major deal, since the rooms had excellent AC.
The manager was very nice, and we visited with her for almost an hour on our last evening in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Sask_tourists

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2009

They do not advertise their cancellation policy of 72 hours, with no exceptions, and when booking they will charge the first nights accommodation plus taxes even if you cancel for a valid reason.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Roberto48

Travelers are raving about these Calgary hotels

Calgary
Reviewed July 6, 2009

During the course of the weekend, we (and many other guests) had no hot water. I left two messages for the manager, but I was not granted the courtesy of a response. At checkout, I was able to track her down. Her response: "Yes, we had problems. Sorry." When pressed, she became quite rude and offered a five dollar refund ONLY if I promised not to complain to Holiday Inn head office. I took the refund. And of course I wrote to head office. Head office's response was that they strive to excell in customer service and appreciated my input. I've cut up my Priority Card.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank MondayMeeter
Alberta
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We reserved rooms for a team booking which was cancelled a month prior to our stay. The booking was not actually cancelled by the hotel staff and now they are billing my visa for a total of almost $3700 for the first night. Apparently visa lets them do this too and you have to dispute after the fact. The hotel manager told me I was 'lying' about the cancellation and that it was just too bad. Plus, Holiday Inn Head Office will NOT do anything as they say it is up to the hotel - NICE! So, I have always been a HI Express fan and have always used them for team bookings well not no more. If one of their hotels will treat someone this way and they allow them to do so then I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank Sun-Sea-Sand-Nature
Halifax, NS
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We made a telephone reservation at this hotel via Holiday Inn's 1-800 reservation line. My wife fell severely ill, and we were not able to travel. I phoned the 1-800 reservation line to cancel, and was told that no one was able to help me at that time, but someone would phone me back. No one ever phoned me back. So, the next day I looked up the hotel phone number, phoned them directly and was allowed to cancel the reservation, and was provided a cancellation confirmation number.

We were subsequently still charged for this room. Apparently Holiday Inn has a 72 hour cancellation policy which they are not obligated to inform you of. If we had been aware of this policy we would not have booked with them to begin with. I am also appaled to inform you that it is common practice for the hotel to "allow" cancellation of reservations, but this does not mean the client will not still be charged. They were not able to explain to me what the purpose of canceling the reservation would then be.

When I phoned the hotel they would not discuss the matter, and told me to take it up with the reservation line. I lodged a complaint with the reservation line, who said they would get back to me within 48 hours, but never did.

If we had known that we would be charged for this room, we could have at least budgeted for it, or offered it to family in the area for the night.

If you stay there, watch your credit card bill people!

• Liked — We cancelled our reservation but were charged anyway
  • Disliked — We cancelled our reservation but were charged anyway
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank jerak1133
SASKATOON
Reviewed July 28, 2008

Horrible is one word for it.
After booking, had to cancel, a family emergency. Asked them not to charge my credit card. They gave me the run around, told me that they had to talk to the manager. Phoned them again, they told me that they had already charged my credit card. Asked them to reverse the charges, they transfered me to customer relations who could not do anything because I had booked directly through the hotel. Customer relations told me that they knew this as well. I am now in the process of taking them to small claims court. DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank PDM1Saskatoon
Graz, Austria
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights during the Stampede.
Booked a Suite which was HUGE and absolutely fantastic, it had a huge seperate bedroom with 2 king size beds and its own tv, a huge living area with another tv and a fireplace, a bar and kitchenette area, a huge seperate dressing and wardrobe area, and a huge bathroom! Get the theme - huge!
Room was clean, modern, well kept and up to date.
Breakfast was the best out of the 3 Holiday Inn Express's we stayed in during our trip - this was due to them serving all 4 of the hot items available each day not just 2 like the others.
Close enough to walk to the C-Train to take you to the Stampede, or the city or the mall - it is a hefty walk though, it's not just round the corner. Easy enough to find though you can't get lost.
Only gripe was the lack of customer service skills of the reception staff. The young girl checking us in was obviously very very bored with her job, the young guy the next day didn't know where the C-Train stop was!! we had to ask the other person on reception. The funniest was the first night - it appears that the fire in your room does not turn off! you have to have the air con and the fire on in summer!!! my husband went down to reception to query this, he was told that yes you have to have them both on!!!! He then said have you not heard of global warming - to which the 2 young girls just collapsed into fits of giggles and were incapable of saying anything else!!!!!
Overall though would definately stay again as I loved the room!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Reception staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank europe-chick