Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South
Ranked #75 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This Hotel refuses to take responsibility for properly cancelled reservations made through their partner Booking.com on their behalf. The web site falsely advertises no charge cancellation up to 5 days before check in. The Hotel however has a policy of no refunds up to 8 days before checking in. This is not displayed for public information through their partner's service. When my event was cancelled and I was no longer to travel to this city I cancelled my reservation, 6 days before due to check in and I received the proper cancellation notice. Holiday Inn still charged my credit card the full amount for the complete stay, blaming their partner for the misinformation.

Holiday Inn you have lost my business forever and I will be sharing my experience with as many as I can through Social Media to warn them of your dis-service to customer.

W. Johnson

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank WHJ53
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear WHJ53,

Thank you for your review regarding Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary S Macleod Trail S. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Came to Calgary for work for what was supposed to be a few days. The stay stretched out to three weeks. Thank goodness this place was so accommodating. When I went to extend my stay they said they were fully booked up with regular rooms and all they had available was the spa (?) room. I knew my company would not approve the unnecessary additional cost. The girl at the front desk went to grab the manger on duty who came to help me out. They were able to extend my stay in the spa (?) room for a discounted cost. They are incredibly accommodating.

The only not great thing I can mention is the breakfast. It is fantastic they do offer a breakfast, I am just incredibly picky with what I eat. I have seen better a continental breakfast.

The cleaning staff seemed great - I never ever had any issues with that over the entire stay.

I got back late one night and wanted to hit the gym as well as pool before they closed, but wouldn't have had enough time to do both. When I talked to the guy at the front desk about the hours, he offered to keep the pool open until I was finished. Again, incredibly accommodating staff! As for the pool... that small waterslide is nuts!! haha It is so fast and fun... I'm 28 and thought it was great! haha

The location is great for restaurants as well there is a yoga studio very close.

I would stay here again when coming to Calgary for work.

Room Tip: East side is further from McLeod Trail. North side faces a tall apartment building, south side is th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I took a cab from Calgary airport to this Holiday Inn Express and was concerned that I would not have a car for the week, but this hotel has some interesting restaurant choices in easy walking distance. The rooms are very large, clean and modern and the hotel "feels" new. The bathrooms are also spotlessly clean and the beds are super comfortable. There is a large flat screen TV with all the channels and the free wireless works fine.

The hotel staff is quite helpful and the hotel is obviously well managed. The complimentary breakfast is just average and could be improved with some fresh fruit and a little variation during the week.

All things considered, this is a very good hotel choice on the south side of Calgary.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank kwebb100
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Great overnight after long flight. Chosen so we could head out to BC easily the following morning. Check in was slow.....we arrived at 5.30 and there was a group of 5 plus 1 other. By the time we had completed check I. There was quite a line up. Needs to be a little slicker. Nice suite on the 4th floor, spotless and comfortable. Toiletries were a bit sparse but then again this is budget not luxury accommodation. Air conditioning unit was extremely noisy so much so that at being woken by it kicking in for the third time we switched it off. Not great on a warm night. Reported this the following morning but as a warning we were in room 414! Free breakfast was typical HE but it's something to get you on the road. Coffee fine and plenty of all that was on offer. Would stay here again as it was also convenient to walk to Original Joes for a beer and supper!

Room Tip: Avoid 414 unless you check re air con
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We choose this hotel because it was pet friendly. We really appreciate the fact they let our small dog stay there. Loved this hotel. We arrived late and Miguel was wonderful at the check in, everything was ready. Room was really nice, great bedding, everything very clean. We loved this location as it was close to relatives who we were visiting. Breakfast was yummy. We did bacon, some eggs, and a bagel. Kept us going for the morning. Also appreciated the free newspapers in the lobby. Efficient check out. Can't say a bad word about this hotel, will be back again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We are Holiday Inn loyal, and this location did pretty good to keep up with the Holiday Inn standards. The only issue we noted was the paper-thin walls. At one point on Friday night we got out of bed to ask the people in the hallway to keep it down, but the hallway was empty. People must have been talkign in the room beside us or above us and we could hear their entire conversation. Saturday a.m. we awoke to their TV and we could hear the news cast as if it was being played in our room. But it was fairly minor and reminded us why we hated condo living.

The pool was awesome and had a great waterslide and a hot tub for use. We definitely enjoyed those perks.

The breakfast was very standard for the Holiday Inn brand, but the eggs were pretty nasty. Obviously powdered or something. The yogurt and fresh fruit options were a big hit as was the pancake machine. The coffee was good and hot and everything hit the spot.

We enjoyed the location too. It is walking distance to 3 separate restaurants, plus coffee shops.

We requested a room far from the elevators at the time of booking and it was accommodated so we were very happy with that.

I quite enjoyed the beds and pillows, though others in my party found it all too soft. You can't please everybody. The size of the room was the best part. It was significantly bigger than many other Holiday Inn rooms and your standard hotel room.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Overall satisfied. Hotel is clean and comfortable. It's a little too far from downtown but that depends on your needs. I drove back and forth from the office so no issue. Tons of restaurants in the area so you won't have a problem finding something you like (all price ranges). Breakfast was simple but very good. Scrambled Eggs, sausages, bacon, toast, cereals and cinnamon buns. Will stay here again on my next trip.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business